Licence information

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Re: Licence information

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:57 pm
StooB wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:19 pm There are two other Adidas games, https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=96&id=85 and https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=96&id=87 .
Does an advertiser only become a licensor when their name is in the title?
Adidas is not part of the theme, just background advertising dissociated with the gameplay. I don't think it should be marked as tie-in in this case.
The player has to choose the correct Adidas footwear for each event. It is part of the game, not just in the background.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Sorry but I still think that's also Adidas advertising, not something they included in the gameplay to make the game more fun.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm Sorry but I still think that's also Adidas advertising, not something they included in the gameplay to make the game more fun.
What about Chewits, Skips, Dunlop tyres, Suzuki, Wimpy, Burger King, Toyota and Lotus cars? Do those brands make their games more fun? Your logic is inconsistent!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:34 pmWhat about Chewits, Skips, Dunlop tyres, Suzuki, Wimpy, Burger King, Toyota and Lotus cars? Do those brands make their games more fun?
Lotus cars, definitely. People would buy a race game saying "it's so cool I will drive a LOTUS CAR!" That's a licensed tie-in.

Dunlop tires, certainly not. Nobody would buy a race game saying "it's so cool I will drive a car using DUNLOP TIRES!" That's an advertising.

Even so, upon further inspection I recognize the distinction isn't always clear. For instance Whopper Chase is a promotional game for Burger King, so it's essentially advertising, but it's the main theme of the game thus it doesn't feel right to remove its association to the Burger King brand...

OK, I'm convinced. I will restructure ZXDB tables to support multiple licenses per game, and put Adidas license back into Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge. Unless anyone else wants to argue otherwise?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Since there were no objections, I just released another ZXDB version supporting multiple licenses (official tie-ins or unofficial inspirations) for the same title.