Little bugs in the database 2

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:03 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 pm True. It only makes sense to bother storing information about program order in compilations.
There are some compilations, such as The In Crowd and We Are The Champions which have the 48k and 128k versions of some games on them. Currently these aren't listed, but should they be?
Yes, please!
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

StooB wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:32 am The 128K box front from WoS has been replaced with a new scan of the 48k version. Although the only difference is the yellow sticker - even the barcodes are the same - it should probably be restored.
That's the question. I aplied one basic rule. If I find any difference beetween 48K and 128K version of inlay I always try to preserve both of them.

E.g.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/si ... r(48K).jpg
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/si ... (128K).jpg

But the difference in the sticker only? Should we preserve one version without any sticker, one version with 48K sticker, one version with 128K sticker, one version with +3 sticker? I am not sure about it.

Yes, if we would preserve files with tape images themself, it would make sence - to have both of them.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

pavero wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:17 pm But the difference in the sticker only? Should we preserve one version without any sticker, one version with 48K sticker, one version with 128K sticker, one version with +3 sticker? I am not sure about it.
Yes, you should. You can never tell if that information will be useful to someone in the future. I don't think it's a good idea to remove information like that. Five years from now somebody might be asking, "Did the 128K version have a different inlay?" And there will be no record in the database to answer that question. (Not everything necessarily needs to be stored at the same high resolution, though.)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Hollywood Featuring Batman & The Untouchables

should have the comment "Not really a compilation in the usual sense, but a bundling of 2 cassettes in a nice box" and should have machine type "ZX-Spectrum 48K/128K". The contents should be Tape 1 and Tape 2 rather than A-1 and A-2.

There's quite a lot of "Not really a compilation in the usual sense, but a bundling of X cassettes in a nice box" comments in the database. Perhaps it might be better to have a new genre of "Box Set" rather than "Compilation", as you would with music albums?

✓ Reviewed
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

8BitAG wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:37 am
pavero wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:17 pm But the difference in the sticker only? Should we preserve one version without any sticker, one version with 48K sticker, one version with 128K sticker, one version with +3 sticker? I am not sure about it.
Yes, you should. You can never tell if that information will be useful to someone in the future. I don't think it's a good idea to remove information like that. Five years from now somebody might be asking, "Did the 128K version have a different inlay?" And there will be no record in the database to answer that question. (Not everything necessarily needs to be stored at the same high resolution, though.)
IMHO a short message '48k and 128k version are identical' or something like this should be enough. We can add any comment for every uploaded file!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 am Hollywood Featuring Batman & The Untouchables

should have the comment "Not really a compilation in the usual sense, but a bundling of 2 cassettes in a nice box" and should have machine type "ZX-Spectrum 48K/128K". The contents should be Tape 1 and Tape 2 rather than A-1 and A-2.
Done, thanks!

StooB wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 am There's quite a lot of "Not really a compilation in the usual sense, but a bundling of X cassettes in a nice box" comments in the database. Perhaps it might be better to have a new genre of "Box Set" rather than "Compilation", as you would with music albums?
Good idea! I'm working on it. :)

✓ Reviewed
Frankie
Manic Miner

Post by Frankie »

pavero wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:04 pm
Frankie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:44 am
Haven't done the tape, as the have been around for a while on Facebook done by Guy Black, so you guys probably got it already. If not, let me know, and I'll pass on the TZX file :)
Can you please share the TZX file here, I didnt find it on FB.
Here is the file :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j92uke2ni125 ... 9.zip?dl=0
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Milan Matousek should be Milan Matoušek.

✓ Reviewed
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Frantisek Fuka should be František Fuka.

✓ Reviewed
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Jaroslaw Byrczynski should be Jarosław Burczyński (beware the ł and the ń).
✓ Reviewed
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

J. Eyre should be John Eyre.
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm Conclusion: JPW (Spain) is Julian Wood (UK)!
Solved this one just changing JPW (Spain, Person) to JPW (UK, Nickname) and adding Julian Wood as the owner of the nickname, since we are not sure why those games are credited to JPW on the first place.

Also found some games credited to Julian R.E. Wood (signed Julian Wood ingame) -> https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=7723
[mention]StooB[/mention] what do you think? I'm pretty sure it is the same author.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 am
StooB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm Conclusion: JPW (Spain) is Julian Wood (UK)!
Solved this one just changing JPW (Spain, Person) to JPW (UK, Nickname) and adding Julian Wood as the owner of the nickname, since we are not sure why those games are credited to JPW on the first place.

Also found some games credited to Julian R.E. Wood (signed Julian Wood ingame) -> https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=7723
@StooB what do you think? I'm pretty sure it is the same author.
Well, they do have a similar graphic style - Julian RE Wood:
ImageImage

Julian P Wood:
ImageImage

This isn't conclusive though:

1. Julian RE Wood is from Norfolk (here, here), but by 1986 he's at Northampton Hall, London which was Hall of Residence for Northampton Polytechnic. But Dominic and Julian P Wood are both from London and went to school in Epsom where Micromania was also based. It's unlikely Julian P Wood would have lived in halls when he could get to the polytechnic by tube.

2. On Julian RE Wood's website, http://www.silvawood.co.uk/links.htm, there's a link to the Julian RE Wood page on World of Spectrum and he has also given them permission to host his titles. It seems odd that somebody interested enough in WoS to have linked to it from a completely unrelated website didn't point out their involvement with Micromania, Silverbird and Probe titles when they gave that permission. Unfortunately, that permission can no longer be viewed on WoS.

3. Julian P Wood's only middle name is Philip.

I think it's possible they are the same person, but probably not!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Great! Thanks StooB. This is a pretty curious case indeed, and another thing to point out is that all this games are type-in, so, is not weird to think that perhaps some "inspiration" was going on, and a wink regarding the similar names.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

druellan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 am since we are not sure why those games are credited to JPW on the first place.
I'm blind, is literally the loading screen:

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Trivial Pursuit

More covers have gone awol.

1. TrivialPursuit_Front.jpg:

This was released in 1987 because the Spectrum +2 datacorder couldn't cope with the Uniload question tapes. It's not a sticker on the inlay, it's printed like that.

There's a hi-res scan in Mort's uploads on the Internet Archive in the folder "TrivialPursuitv2-Domark".

2. TrivialPursuit_3.jpg:

This one is the original "big box" release, currently available from CornishDavey on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZX-Sinclair- ... 3925710607

✓ Reviewed
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

StooB wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:13 pm Trivial Pursuit

More covers have gone awol.

1. TrivialPursuit_Front.jpg:

This was released in 1987 because the Spectrum +2 datacorder couldn't cope with the Uniload question tapes. It's not a sticker on the inlay, it's printed like that.

There's a hi-res scan in Mort's uploads on the Internet Archive in the folder "TrivialPursuitv2-Domark".
OK, I will add it in the next SC update.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Does anybody know if CCS and C.C.S. are the same company?
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 pm Does anybody know if CCS and C.C.S. are the same company?
Yes, they are both Cases Computer Simulations.
http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... ations.htm
as referred to on the inlay scan for Farmer...
http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... _Inlay.jpg
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Thanks!
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Drakmaze was never released. Source: The Games That Time Forgot

✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Planet 10

- was never released. Details in this post.
✓ reviewed
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=5443 - Gopov Vitaly is really Vitaliy Zverev from Chelyabinsk, Russia. Other aliases: Pastor, Manse.

✓ reviewed
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Haven't been reporting any errors as there is such a backlog already. However, these ones did jump out at me when I was using the site the other day...

The disk file listed as the +3 'Pegasus' release of the Hermitage....
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=6429

...is not the original Pegasus +3 release, but the much later, altered FSF Adventures re-release. The date is incorrect for that re-release, by the way, I will see if I can find the correct one in my archives.

(So the original Pegasus +3 release is missing from the archive)

Desmond & Gertrude and Aunt Velma is Coming to Tea
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=15446

was NOT re-released by The Guild. (Not for Spectrum) That reference should be deleted.

✓ Reviewed
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=11944
RSM Soft (Russia) seems to be a person, not a company. It's also from Ukraine, Chernigov.

✓ reviewed