Little bugs in the database 2

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

User avatar
StooB
Microbot
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Exploding Wall was published by Byte Back, not MC Lothlorien, who had stopped publishing their own titles in 1986:

Image

The £2.99 price should be moved to the Byte Back release.
0 x

User avatar
StooB
Microbot
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Gauntlet: The Deeper Dungeons should have the same Atari licence as the original Gauntlet.
0 x

User avatar
StooB
Microbot
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:27 pm

According to the adverts and inlay, Tynesoft's Superman - Man of Steel is licensed from First Star. However it's not a conversion of a First Star game like Superman - The Game was, so a new licence type is needed - "Rights Holder"?
0 x

User avatar
StooB
Microbot
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Artic computing and Artic Computing Ltd should be merged.
0 x

User avatar
StooB
Microbot
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Gauntlet was not released in 1987 - it was the best selling game of 1986.
0 x

User avatar
StooB
Microbot
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Leader Board was released in 1987, not 1986. The earliest review is March 1987.
0 x

User avatar
8BitAG
Manic Miner
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by 8BitAG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm

StooB wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm
Leader Board was released in 1987, not 1986. The earliest review is March 1987.
Not necessarily conclusive if it was cover date, March 1987... as that would mean the mag was out in February 1987... which, with lead in times for magazines, probably means the game was completed in 1986. (If they were reviewing a completed version ;) )
0 x

User avatar
Stefan
Dizzy
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by Stefan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:40 pm

StooB wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Gauntlet was not released in 1987 - it was the best selling game of 1986.

The first magazine reviews are January 1987, zo I would-be say that the best selling game quote is a typo.
0 x

User avatar
8BitAG
Manic Miner
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by 8BitAG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Stefan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:40 pm
StooB wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Gauntlet was not released in 1987 - it was the best selling game of 1986.
The first magazine reviews are January 1987, zo I would-be say that the best selling game quote is a typo.
Sinclair User review was in the February 1987 issue, which was out January 18th 1987... so will have been written in about November 1986, I'm guessing. It was also reviewed in the C&VG January issue... I imagine that one came out in December 86. Reviews in magazines help with the dates, but they aren't always definite proof.

The "official release date" was meant to be December 1st 1986, from the Your Sinclair preview...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/mag.php ... 234&page=9
...I imagine they were keen to get it out for Christmas. Presumably "best selling game of 1986" could include other formats.
0 x

User avatar
StooB
Microbot
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 am

8BitAG wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm
StooB wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm
Leader Board was released in 1987, not 1986. The earliest review is March 1987.
Not necessarily conclusive if it was cover date, March 1987... as that would mean the mag was out in February 1987... which, with lead in times for magazines, probably means the game was completed in 1986. (If they were reviewing a completed version ;) )
The March review is MicroHobby, but the UK magazines all reviewed it for the April issues which would have been out in March 1987.

I don't think lead in times are relevant when it comes to US Gold though - they had enough control over the magazines to know exactly when their reviews would hit the streets, and as they effectively owned the distribution network too they had a huge influence on what shops like WHSmith and Boots would stock. It's very unlikely that US Gold or the retailers would try to sell an unreviewed golf game at Christmas in direct competition for shelf-space with Gauntlet.
0 x

Post Reply