Little bugs in the database 2

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

druellan
Manic Miner

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by druellan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 am

Einar Saukas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:43 am
Nowadays, snapshots still make sense to save a game you are playing for instance, but not for software preservation.
Hi! Well, that was pretty much my intention. Since we need to "extract" the game from the TZX if we want a less confusing image of it, a snap is pretty much screaming "this is not a preservation image", but I totally agree if you want to exterminate the format from the DB. We can leave things alone or create a quick TAP.
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:36 am

druellan wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 am
Einar Saukas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:43 am
Nowadays, snapshots still make sense to save a game you are playing for instance, but not for software preservation.
Hi! Well, that was pretty much my intention. Since we need to "extract" the game from the TZX if we want a less confusing image of it, a snap is pretty much screaming "this is not a preservation image", but I totally agree if you want to exterminate the format from the DB. We can leave things alone or create a quick TAP.
I think it would be better to create a TZX of this program. This way, nothing will be lost.

You can edit the TZX from the compilation, to delete all other programs, then save the remaining TZX under a different name. I suggest something like "PROGRAM_NAME(COMPILATION_NAME).tzx.zip" so we know exactly from which compilation it was extracted.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 pm

Please check the game called Genus, and precisely the .tzx file:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2012

https://archive.org/download/World_of_S ... us.tzx.zip

The tape image contains not only Genus but also some presentation/utility called Speechdemo. And another game called Guppi from the same author is on the B side.

Maybe we should make a new database entry for Speechdemo? Or mark the tape as compilation? Or maybe leave it as it is ;) I dunno.

✓ reviewed
1 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Frankie wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 am
Andromeda and Willibald are two different games both included on that TZX I made, one game on each side.
Hi, just to double check: the TZX on Andromeda was compiled by you or it is an image from an official compilation?
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Ralf wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 pm
The tape image contains not only Genus but also some presentation/utility called Speechdemo. And another game called Guppi from the same author is on the B side.
Confirmed! Guppy seems to be this one: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2187 but we only have a TAP image.
But I'm not sure we can call this a compilation, seems that the game was self-distributed and the author just wanted to add some extras:

We can just note everything on the comments.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:22 am

But I'm not sure we can call this a compilation, seems that the game was self-distributed and the author just wanted to add some extras:
Yes, I also feel that calling it a compilation would be too much. These bonus programs aren't even mentioned anywhere in the inlay. So yes, probably a comment would be enough.
1 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am

Some more discoveries about Genus ( https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2012 ).

So I made a rzx recording of it: http://www.rzxarchive.co.uk/g.php#genus Quite interesting to watch, lots of nice inspirations in the levels coming from games like Cybernoid, I Ball, Manic Miner and others

And at some moment we get a hint about next author's game which isn't mentioned anywhere in the database so it sadly seems that it never was completed:

So I would suggest adding a record to the database:

Name: Zyborgs
Author: Andrew Mark Daly
Genre: Arcade action (a wild guess, based on intuition and author's other games)

✓ reviewed
1 x

Frankie
Berk

Post by Frankie » Fri May 03, 2019 2:43 pm

druellan wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:22 pm
Frankie wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 am
Andromeda and Willibald are two different games both included on that TZX I made, one game on each side.
Hi, just to double check: the TZX on Andromeda was compiled by you or it is an image from an official compilation?
What do you mean by compiled by you? Its an official release with both games on one tape, and I provided the Perfect TZX. That company did more double game releases like this. There has been one uploaded to WOS within the last six months or so.

Here is my dropbox link to the complete package I uploaded, including inlay and all :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqrcuxbtberts ... d.zip?dl=0
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sat May 04, 2019 12:39 am

Frankie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:43 pm
What do you mean by compiled by you? Its an official release with both games on one tape, and I provided the Perfect TZX. That company did more double game releases like this. There has been one uploaded to WOS within the last six months or so.
Thanks Frankie, sorry, it was not my intention to imply anything, I just wanted to be sure I was understanding the source correctly, since it is not that usual to record both games twice on the same side of the cassette.
Thanks again, and apologies.

BTW: Andromeda is a really cute Atlantis clone, and fast!

1 x

Frankie
Berk

Post by Frankie » Sat May 04, 2019 5:04 am

druellan wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:39 am
Frankie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:43 pm
Thanks Frankie, sorry, it was not my intention to imply anything, I just wanted to be sure I was understanding the source correctly, since it is not that usual to record both games twice on the same side of the cassette.
Thanks again, and apologies.

BTW: Andromeda is a really cute Atlantis clone, and fast!

Sorry if I sounded harsh, wasn’t meant to :)

Yes, Andromeda is a good game just as Willibald. Shame these games wasn’t known outside Germany back then. I would have had a lot of fun with these :)
1 x