Little bugs in the database 2

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

StooB
Microbot

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by StooB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Navy Moves and Game Over 2 (Phantis)

The publisher of Re-release #1 of Phantis (Game Over 2) is not Electronic Arts, it's Dinamic.
The publisher of Re-release #1 of Navy Moves is not Dinamic/Electronic Arts, it's Dinamic.

It's very clear on the UK adverts for Game Over 2 and Navy Moves that Electronic Arts are the distributor, not the publisher. Electronic Arts were the distributors for several publishers, most notoriously CRL, and EA don't get a publisher credit on those titles.

Also, the adverts for After The War and Grand Prix Master show those titles were distributed by USD rather than EA and they don't get a publisher credit either.

✓ reviewed
0 x

StooB
Microbot

Post by StooB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Narco Police

Re-release #1 is currently
Publisher: GBH (UK)
Year 1991
Release Price £9.95
Budget Price £3.99

which should be split into

Re-release #1:
Publisher: Dinamic (Spain)
Year 1991
Release Price £9.95

Re-release #2
Publisher: GBH (UK)
Year 1992
Budget Price £3.99

with the IBSA re-release moved to Re-release #3.

Reviews for the full price Dinamic release are from April 1991: here and here.
Reviews of the GBH budget release are from September 1992: here and here.

✓ reviewed
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Loco - The game is inspired by Sega coin-op Super Locomotive.
✓ reviewed
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Alessandro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:33 pm
Also, could the files for Sinclair User 127: Great Eight 16 be added to the corresponding entry?
Hi! I think the files are already there, perhaps part of the last update, can you confirm? Thanks!
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 am

druellan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 pm
Alessandro wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:33 pm
Also, could the files for Sinclair User 127: Great Eight 16 be added to the corresponding entry?
Hi! I think the files are already there, perhaps part of the last update, can you confirm? Thanks!
Yes they are :)

I am still waiting for the .SCL and .TRD files for ADB to be replaced though...
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi @Alessandro

The last update was mainly to add ZXSR and didn't include normal updates. We will get this files updated as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.
0 x

StooB
Microbot

Post by StooB » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:26 am

The Master

was published by Antartic, the only Spectrum release on Artic's budget label and the price should be £1.99, not £5.99
(sources: Crash review Sinclair User review Your Sinclair review)

Also, the score was missing from the YS review and shows up here as "Not Rated", but the index of every YS score from the final issue shows that it should have been 5.

✓ Reviewed
0 x

Metalbrain
Dizzy

Post by Metalbrain » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Not exactly a bug, but I've just realized 2 maps for Las Tres Luces de Glaurung are exactly the same, just one is bigger than the other:

check:
TresLucesDeGlaurungLas.jpg
TresLucesDeGlaurungLas_2.jpg

Maybe we can just remove the smaller one?

(The same happens in WoS)
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:00 am

In Football Manager 2: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1827
The file named FootballManager2_2.tap.zip is NOT a Spanish version of Football Manager 2, but a Spanish, without copyright, version of Football Manager 1
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

StooB
Microbot

Post by StooB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 am

World Cup Carnival

The unsourced comment on this game reads:
The explanation which U.S. Gold gave for the World Cup Carnival fiasco (re-releasing the ancient Artic game World Cup Football at twice the price for anybody who can't remember) was that they had commissioned a programmer to write an original game but the game was terrible and they did not have enough time to have a new game written before the World Cup. There must therefore be a completed unreleased version of WCC floating about somewhere.
This appears to be completely made-up - there's nothing to support this in any of the magazine references, and it's not even the excuse they gave to Crash at the time.

According to "The History of US Gold" by Chris Wilkins:
‘At the time Ocean knew something about football with Jon Ritman’s Matchday, so Woods and Ward said to Geoff, look, football games are really hard, let us do this. We’ll get a World Cup game for you, and we’ll use our Match Day code. Anyway, something happened there and theoretically Ocean were going to go away and develop the game. Three months before the World Cup we were so busy I hadn’t given it much thought. So I asked Geoff if he’d seen anything of the game from Ocean, and he said, no, I’ll call them up. He phoned to learn they’d done nothing on it. So we had this licence, we had the World Cup coming – and we said, sh*t we need a game.’
‘That’s when we went out to every single developer in the UK,’ Geoff takes up the tale. ‘Artic were the only one who came forward and said they could do it in time.’
So, the comment should either be removed, or updated. There really isn't an even worse version of World Cup Carnival out there somewhere.
1 x