Database model ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

moroz1999
Manic Miner

Re: Database model ZXDB

Post by moroz1999 »

Ok, let's synchronize the terms:
ZX-Art production = ZXDB entry
ZX-Art release = ZXDB release (currently I sticked to downloads of particular type but I will change this to use releases)

Software (production, ZXDB entry) can have original author, screenshots, comments, year of first publication
Release can have year, publisher, additional authors, additional screenshots, additional comments and most importantly - file download.
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm Which PK?
The release PK shouldn't change, if it's a different file in the same release.
But the file PK should change, if it's a different file.
Thanks! I totally agree, I'll just use the releases table now. That download table usage decision is legacy which I will change.
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm Also I think it makes sense to assign comments to the release, instead of individual files. Even if a game has separate 48K and 128K versions, and I want to comment specifically about the AY music in 128K, it's still better to put this comment once in the release, instead of repeating this comment in the English 128K file and again in the Spanish 128K file. Or if I want to say that parts 1 and 2 are better than part 3, a single comment on the release still works better than separate comments on the file of each part.
I think that both program (production, entry) and release should be commentable. Some releases can be mods which fix the issues, add new materials, change the graphics but still remain the same game. So there can be real need to comment them.

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm Releases are static non-changeable numeric IDs. You can rely on them!
The only chance RELEASE_SEQ will change, is if we find out that a release was duplicated by mistake. But this is no different than finding out an entire entry was duplicated by mistake so an ENTRY_ID should be removed. Anyway removing either ENTRY_ID or RELEASE_SEQ will happen very very rarely, and when it happens I will announce it here so you can easily adjust it manually on your side.
Thank you! That really seems logical.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Excellent! I agree with everything :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

There's now a new ZXDB thread here. Please take a look!

From now on, all announcements about ZXDB will be posted in the new thread.