HELP WANTED: Magazine interviews

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: HELP WANTED: Magazine interviews

Post by Einar Saukas »

Stefan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:45 pm @Einar Saukas What is the point of having links from magazine articles to people who have no associated products? It's zxdb - not wikipedia.
These are people that were already in Martijn's WoS (I didn't add them myself!) because they are somehow involved with Spectrum products.

For instance, David Braben and Ian Bell are not credited for Elite but they should have been credited under the role "Game Design/Concept". This game page at MobyGames agrees with me.

Douglas Adams never authored any Spectrum game, but he should be credited for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Although this is not a Spectrum game, it actually works on a Spectrum +3 using ZXZVM, thus the reason it's cataloged in ZXDB.

I will add this information in the next ZXDB update.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

There are loads of interviews there with employees of companies that aren't necessarily authors or programmers of games. Quite often they're about specific products or games, in which case I presume they will show up as magazine references under those games anyway. But linking employees to companies does seem to be quite a useful idea (but perhaps a whole project in itself).
Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:21 am Douglas Adams never authored any Spectrum game, but he should be credited for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Although this is not a Spectrum game, it actually works on a Spectrum +3 using ZXZVM, thus the reason it's cataloged in ZXDB.
ZXZVM is a brilliant bit of work but I'm not sure how I feel about Hitchhiker's Guide being in a Spectrum database. All those Infocom text adventures were technically playable on the Spectrum +3 anyway, using Locomotive's CP/M Plus, but it feels really odd that an unauthorised version which is little more than an interpreter on a disk with the game code, can count as a game and get a proper entry.

There are no end of Z-machine games that you could similarly slap onto a disk with ZXZVM should anyone be so inclined. Not to mention CP/M games, that you could technically make a standalone bootable +3 disk for. That would flood the database with entries. Where do you draw the line?

(This is more me exploring where the line is for this time of submission and what the scope of ZXDB actually is..... I would agree. It is very useful to have easy access to those games)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] I'm running into quite a few interviews of company executives that were not involved in the actual development of any software. I've added links to the company they belong to. But... I am seeing that these interviews are already linked to the company involved. For now I've marked added a note 'Record already exists'.

Thoughts?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Stefan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:54 pm @Einar Saukas I'm running into quite a few interviews of company executives that were not involved in the actual development of any software. I've added links to the company they belong to. But... I am seeing that these interviews are already linked to the company involved. For now I've marked added a note 'Record already exists'.

Thoughts?
Agreed!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 am There are loads of interviews there with employees of companies that aren't necessarily authors or programmers of games. Quite often they're about specific products or games, in which case I presume they will show up as magazine references under those games anyway.
If it's an interview with a non-employee about a specific game, you can just put a link to this game in column "ENTRY" of the spreadsheet.

Or if you notice the same interview was already listed as magazine reference for this game, you can just add a note about it. Either way is fine! I can automatically eliminate any duplicates later.

8BitAG wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 am
Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:21 am Douglas Adams never authored any Spectrum game, but he should be credited for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Although this is not a Spectrum game, it actually works on a Spectrum +3 using ZXZVM, thus the reason it's cataloged in ZXDB.
ZXZVM is a brilliant bit of work but I'm not sure how I feel about Hitchhiker's Guide being in a Spectrum database. All those Infocom text adventures were technically playable on the Spectrum +3 anyway, using Locomotive's CP/M Plus
Too late! These entries have always been in the database, since before ZXDB was created:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... =^Infocom$

8BitAG wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 am but it feels really odd that an unauthorised version which is little more than an interpreter on a disk with the game code, can count as a game and get a proper entry.
These are not entries about unauthorized disks. They are entries about games originally created for other platforms, that also work on the Spectrum +3. I think that's a good enough reason to store information about these games in the archive.

8BitAG wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 am There are no end of Z-machine games that you could similarly slap onto a disk with ZXZVM should anyone be so inclined. Not to mention CP/M games, that you could technically make a standalone bootable +3 disk for. That would flood the database with entries. Where do you draw the line?

(This is more me exploring where the line is for this time of submission and what the scope of ZXDB actually is..... I would agree. It is very useful to have easy access to those games)
I think it would be actually useful adding to ZXDB all games that we have confirmed to work on the Spectrum +3 using either ZXZVM or CP/M. I would like to start a new thread to discuss this subject.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 pm I think it would be actually useful adding to ZXDB all games that we have confirmed to work on the Spectrum +3 using either ZXZVM or CP/M. I would like to start a new thread to discuss this subject.
That's literally hundreds, if not thousands, of games, utilities and other programs. That would really affect the scope of ZXDB. There aren't enough volunteers to deal with the current edits regarding Spectrum & Sinclair-specific titles as it is.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 pm I think it would be actually useful adding to ZXDB all games that we have confirmed to work on the Spectrum +3 using either ZXZVM or CP/M. I would like to start a new thread to discuss this subject.
That's literally hundreds, if not thousands, of games, utilities and other programs. That would really affect the scope of ZXDB. There aren't enough volunteers to deal with the current edits regarding Spectrum & Sinclair-specific titles as it is.
Good point. I will just keep the titles already imported from Martijn's WoS but avoid adding new ones.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Back on subject...

Most previously "unidentified" magazine interviews have been updated in ZXDB. Many thanks to [mention]blueowl0708[/mention] and [mention]Stefan[/mention] for their help!

There are about a hundred interviews remaining to be identified in the spreadsheet. Can anybody help?
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

I've looked at the last few interviews - over to you [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] for processing.
Last edited by Stefan on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Thank you!!!