Load'n'Run.... "Pirated" games?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Load'n'Run.... "Pirated" games?

Post by 8BitAG » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:12 pm

Prompted by another thread, I'm looking through the cassettes from the Italian cassette&magazine Load'n'Run.

Picking out a random issue...

http://loadnrun.speccy.org/lnrita/lnr15/port150.html

There are games like Daley Thomson's Decathlon, Channel 8's Perseus and Andromeda (fully translated to Italian), Dangermouse etc. included on the cassette.

...I'm guessing that quite a few (all!?) of these games are completely unofficial ports and/or hacks!

Do we log this sort of thing in the database, or make some sort of note on some of the more notable (or notorious!) translations? (Not that I'm volunteering to do this... I'm just looking at the text adventure side of things for CASA)
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Re: Load'n'Run.... "Pirated" games?

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:38 pm

There's a web that compiles all the issues (both italian, 'LNR ITA' & spanish 'LNR ESP' editions):

http://loadnrun.speccy.org/xprincipal.html

If you click on any issue, you'll see every game with the original game it was 'inspired' on.
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:41 pm

And now my eyes hurt!
0 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:38 pm
If you click on any issue, you'll see every game with the original game it was 'inspired' on.
Yes, that's the site I've already linked to. :)

Original games seem to be in ZXDB (as they were in WOS). I presume the decision was taken not to record the existence of the "pirated"/hacked versions in WOS. I'm guessing, this would be the rule for ZXDB?
Last edited by 8BitAG on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Sorry, I read your post too fast, I see you already know the link! :oops:
0 x

Einar Saukas
Dynamite Dan

Post by Einar Saukas » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:42 pm

8BitAG wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:47 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:38 pm
Yes, that's the site I've already linked to. :)

Original games seem to be in ZXDB (as they were in WOS). I presume the decision was taken not to record the existence of the "pirated"/hacked versions in WOS. I'm guessing, this would be the rule for ZXDB?
ZXDB doesn't store pirated versions, just like original WoS.

However Load'n'Run is a special case IMHO. Despite all piracy cases, it also had literally hundreds of original games:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=8471

Therefore I think it will be very useful to catalog this magazine properly. Is there anyone willing to help? Volunteers would be helping to add information to this spreadsheet.

If you think you can help, even if just a little, please contact me so I can give you access to edit this spreadsheet. Thanks!
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:54 pm

You arrive late, my friend - way late :lol: This is an old and well documented issue. I mentioned the infamous "tape magazines", a typical phenomenon of the Italian C64 and Spectrum scene in the '80s, countless times (a documented essay about that is in the 7th chapter of the Spectrumpedia).

@Einar Saukas: Gerard Sweeney already started resolving the pirated titles many years ago. Up to 15 August 2005, 2859 titles were already identified, including original ones. See here: http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/Italian/

The "unresolved" titles are almost all original - games, utilities, demos etc. I managed to find some others: Prou for instance is Neil Android, Robix is Sputnik and Othello is Vice Versa. TZX files - and in some cases even scans - have been hosted on Stefano Bodrato's "Lo Spectrum in Italia" website for years as well: http://zxspectrum.hal.varese.it/cassette.htm
0 x

llewelyn
Microbot

Post by llewelyn » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:01 pm

Aaaah! Be they good 'uns, them thar games, Jim lad?
0 x

Einar Saukas
Dynamite Dan

Post by Einar Saukas » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 pm

I'm aware of websites covering Load'n'Run. However the provided information is not structured enough, so we could just click on a game from the list to visit the corresponding game page.

If we can properly fill the spreadsheet I provided, it will be possible to import this information into ZXDB. Afterwards it will be much easier to navigate across magazines, tapes and individual games simply clicking on them.
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:26 pm

We are talking about almost a thousand of titles to put in that spreadsheet. That would be a mammoth task to say the least, even if it's just a matter of copy and paste from the list on Gerard's website. Not to mention the fact that Load 'n' Run was just one of the many "tape magazines" of the era, and with RUN the only one which also published original software made by readers. There is a plethora of other magazines that hosted just pirated games with false names - Program, Special Program, Playgames, Special Playgames, New Special Playgames, Tutto Spectrum, Run Games, POKE, Game 2000 etc. - so that many titles have more than one false name, because they appeared across several of those magazines. This means there should be a list for each one of those magazines, listing all of the resolved titles with their correct aliases - enough to give headaches for months, maybe years. Edit: maybe not years, but are you sure you really want to do it? The only thought of all those cross references gives me the goosebumps :shock:
0 x