Magazines in ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Re: Magazines in ZXDB

Post by Neil Parsons »

Excellent news! Thank you so much Einar.

You may add INPUT Sinclair link to archive.org, as I recently submitted there all issues in PDF.

Also, all 12 issues of Microhobby Cassette (paper) is in PDF too in the same place, here.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Neil Parsons wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:22 pm Excellent news! Thank you so much Einar.

You may add INPUT Sinclair link to archive.org, as I recently submitted there all issues in PDF.

Also, all 12 issues of Microhobby Cassette (paper) is in PDF too in the same place, here.
Done. Thanks!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

8BitAG wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:45 pm This may be a Spectrum Computing issue, rather than ZXDB, but certain magazines are producing errors similar to that shown below...

...showing in the various magazine sections.
Morning,

This is now fixed.

Peter
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

The magazine viewer does not like how Format (INDUG) has been archived. This is an A5 magazine, the pages have been scanned per pair. So page 1 is the back cover and the front cover, page 2 = not found, page 3 is page 2 and page 3 etc.

The result is that every second 'Next page' shows a broken image icon.

The viewer also seems to have no idea what the last page is and will happily attempt to keep serving next pages.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Stefan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:48 pmThe magazine viewer does not like how Format (INDUG) has been archived. This is an A5 magazine, the pages have been scanned per pair. So page 1 is the back cover and the front cover, page 2 = not found, page 3 is page 2 and page 3 etc.

The result is that every second 'Next page' shows a broken image icon.
ZXDB doesn't even store information about individual magazine pages. And even if it did, I don't think it should store stuff like "this specific page exists in the magazine but it's missing from that scan"...

IMHO the proper way to solve this problem is fixing the scan, not the database.

If Format scans were consistent, it would be possible to incorporate this knowledge directly in the magazine viewer. But they are not. For instance, Format v1 #1 was scanned with page numbers 1,3,5 but not 2,4. Format v4 #2 was scanned with page numbers 1,2,4 but not 3,5. Despite the fact all page numbers exist in the actual magazine. Good luck trying to deal with this!

Stefan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:48 pmThe viewer also seems to have no idea what the last page is and will happily attempt to keep serving next pages.
There are 2 ways for the magazine viewer to know when a magazine issue has finished:
  • ZXDB could store the last page number of each magazine issue. I will happily add this field to the database, if we can get volunteers willing to provide this information for about 6000 magazine issues.
  • Or each site could detect automatically if a link to the next page is valid, before displaying it (as mentioned here).
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm happy to make a start with Sinclair User [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] if option one turns out to be the preferred solution.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:29 pm
  • Or each site could detect automatically if a link to the next page is valid, before displaying it (as mentioned here).
So, being pragamatic, this will solve all problems, if instead of looking ahead one page a second page ahead is also attempted before giving up and considering the magazine complete.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm I'm happy to make a start with Sinclair User @Einar Saukas if option one turns out to be the preferred solution.
Thanks a lot for the offer! However I prefer to avoid doing it now, concentrating our efforts on much more important tasks instead.

For instance, processing the remaining CSSCGC entries, and taking screenshots of other games that are still missing them.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Stefan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:50 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:29 pm
So, being pragamatic, this will solve all problems, if instead of looking ahead one page a second page ahead is also attempted before giving up and considering the magazine complete.
Right! :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:04 am
PeterJ wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm I'm happy to make a start with Sinclair User @Einar Saukas if option one turns out to be the preferred solution.
Thanks a lot for the offer! However I prefer to avoid doing it now, concentrating our efforts on much more important tasks instead.

For instance, processing the remaining CSSCGC entries, and taking screenshots of other games that are still missing them.
Thanks Einar,

For obvious reasons I have more free time currently! I will continue with the Crap Games entries.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

For a magazine like Sinclair User, which always had an advert on the back cover, then the last page can be found by looking up the highest numbered magazine reference for that issue. There's no need to do it manually.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]StooB[/mention],

Good point.

I could write an SQL script for that. Similar for Crash, and I'm sure the majority of mainstream titles.

I was also thinking of the old WoS magazine viewer which I believe had the data in. I would need to check that though.