Help Needed - The Type Fantastic

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: Help Needed - The Type Fantastic

Post by TMD2003 »

8BitAG wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:23 pm Urgh. :( :( :(

I did have a look to see if there were any corrections printed in later issues (I couldn't spot any)...

...the only reference I did find didn't really help... but did reveal somewhere else felt the whole process of typing it in would be too painful...

(from Sinclair User 60)

"Crisis" - the Dutchman over on t'other forum who first suggested over there that we should be typing in programs (and he's done a few himself) tried using a regular OCR on some magazine listings, and they came out... even more mangled than the low-res JPEG that they started as, so I junked that idea. I'd assume that the font that the OCR mentioned in that letter needs is OCRA, which is legible, but isn't exactly ideal for printing out Spectrum listings.

I thought it might work with the hi-res Sinclair User scans, but I only had this last one to go, and didn't bother. At least I could read it clearly, even in the bits where the dot matrix printer hadn't printed the numbers too well and the OCR would certainly have missed. I also don't relish the prospect of checking the OCR's output against the original listing, even using the method I just tried.

Two days up in smoke, but it could have been worse. My work, futile though it was, is at least saved on my hard drive and on UK2's servers.

"Mum, you just unplugged the Spectrum right as I was about to save the listing!"
"It's all right, I plugged it back in again..."
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

The problem occurs in lines 9958 onwards. Those variables are supposed to set up the addresses of various machine code routines, but for some reason the memory containing the addresses is initialised to zero. As a result, attempting to call the routines will cause a crash.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

In the printout, listing 3 (or what the magazine claims to be listing 2) contains line 30, which skips over 368 bytes of data starting at address 64062. I loaded up 'The White Door', exported those bytes, and re-imported them into the magazine version of 'Crisis At Christmas'. After doing this the adventure is now fully completable (although there are still a few 'Variable not found' errors).
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

One thing's for sure - the long, long, long list of values in Listing 4 fits exactly into the code loader given, with that missing block of 368 bytes.

Looks like SU - and not for the first time - published a listing that was still in its beta-testing phase, and those bytes were intended to be filled in later. IMAGINE MY SHOCK.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:00 am Looks like SU - and not for the first time - published a listing that was still in its beta-testing phase, and those bytes were intended to be filled in later. IMAGINE MY SHOCK.
Knowing Tom, I really doubt that he would've ever given Sinclair User anything that would be considered a beta. It would've been finished, tested, and working. He was a scientist. Any mistakes made will be Sinclair User's.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

It's what I'd have thought - I'd expect anyone who was going to submit anything that size to any magazine, not just SU, to have it checked and working 100%.

Might he have sent a tape with the correct version on one side and this listing on the other, and SU used the wrong side?

The sort-of-parallel I can see here is with Iron Maiden's "Dance Of Death" - known for its url=https://www.metal-archives.com/images/2 ... 3.jpg?1925]utterly catastrophic artwork[/url] - a twisted neck here, a misplaced arm there, and it was a work in progress. Dave Patchett, who was the artist, said so when he sent it to the band as a mock-up of what he thought the cover could look like, knowing that now that he was using CGI, it could be easily changed when he was given feedback for the final version. It never came. "That's perfect!" said 'Arry Bomber 'Arris, and nobody could convince him that this wasn't the finished version. Dave was so utterly mortified that he asked for his name to be removed from the album credits. Those of us familiar with his pre-CGI work know it's him, and it's obvious when you look at Cathedral's album covers from the 1990s - Forest of Equilibrium, The Ethereal Mirros, The Carnival Bizarre, Supernatural Birth Machine, Caravan Beyond Redemption, they're all from the same bizarre-medieval-fantasy stable. You could say, Dave Patchett would never knowingly submit an unfinished piece of artwork to the band that commissioned him, but he had no control over what they finally used.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm working through the differences between the Type Fantastic and ZXDB and found another nice looking title from the January 1985 issue of Sinclair Programs (Page 60). These titles should start getting into ZXDB soon, as well as all the titles that have recently been typed in.

COLLECT-A-KEY

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Another nice looking one from the same issue (with nice graphics and use of colour for the time). Danger Dynamite (Not yet in ZXDB). Written by Christopher Roper (Aged 10!).

Marvin
Drutt

Post by Marvin »

Hello

To alleviate boredom, I've been doing a few old type-ins from magazine scans found online. I've concentrated on programs which are not listed as having been done on Type Fantastic. Here is a list of what I've done so far:

Calendar (Popular Computing Weekly Vol 2 No 36 - 8-14 September 1983)
Conway's Colony (Personal_Computing_Today_Aug_1982)
Grid of design (YourComputer_1982_09)
Instant colour (Popular Computing Weekly Vol 2 No 32 - 11-17 August 1983)
Rem Patterns (Popular Computing Weekly Vol 2 No 32 - 11-17 August 1983)
Spectraphone (CVG_047_Sep_1985)
Spectrum Banners (Popular Computing Weekly Vol 2 No 34 - 25-31 August 1983)
Spectrum Hue and Cry (YourComputer_1982_07)
Speeding Ahead (Home_Computer_Advanced_Course_01)

All fairly simple stuff I'm Afraid! Would you like copies of these?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Marvin[/mention],

Thank you for doing these. Yes please, just upload them to Google drive or similar and post a link here. If you can include the magazine, issue, page number and program name that would help. Thanks
Marvin
Drutt

Post by Marvin »

I've not done this before, so let me know if this works:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Excellent [mention]Marvin[/mention],

Thank you.
Marvin
Drutt

Post by Marvin »

I should explain about the 'Plotting to Succeed' program - typed in most of the programs from this article some time ago, but left the last one for a later date... and promptly forgot about it for 16 years! So here is the missing part - better late than never.

I guess the 'Calendar' program may be a borderline case for inclusion, but I thought it interesting that a program would be included in a magazine specifying that it could work on more than one system.

Finally, I've just added a new program to the folder:

Tanker from Computer & Video Games magazine Feb'83 (p.53)

I'll add other programs as I type them in.
Marvin
Drutt

Post by Marvin »

Umm...

Embarrassing confession time...

It turns out that some of the stuff I've uploaded was in fact already available on WoS. I found a note in a magazine beside a listing not on Type Fantastic stating that the program was on WoS. Now that I knew that some programs were on WoS but not Type Fantastic, I started to check for more. So far I have checked the list of Your Computer type-ins on WoS, and the ammount of them not on Type Fantastic is massive.

Because the list is very long I will provide a link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GYG9_f ... sp=sharing

I shall investigate some of the other magazines and report back later.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Marvin[/mention],

Have you searched on our site? You may find even more that we have added since the last update of WoS in 2013.

If they are here but not on Type Fantastic then I would send the list to Jim Grimwood who runs that site. If you can't find his contact details then please PM me. Good work!
Peter
Marvin
Drutt

Post by Marvin »

I've only just discovered this site, so my instinct was to look on the site I was more familiar with. It does look like WoS is stagnating while this site grows, however. Annoyingly, it looks like the links on my list may have just died, so it's back to the drawing board :(
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Marvin[/mention],

Yes, there have been some changes over at WoS.

The infoseek IDs will still work here though.
Marvin
Drutt

Post by Marvin »

Okay, so I've rejigged that list so that the urls are for this site - and also found a few more programs that weren't on Wos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Zaim2 ... sp=sharing

This leaves a mere handfull of Your Computer magazine type-ins unaccounted for.

As a bonus, here's a few type-ins from Practical Computing March 1983:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbFxuN ... sp=sharing
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Hails.

Work on type-in programs had to stop for a while - my house-move took priority - but now that I'm at the stage of having to wait for all the legal work to happen behind the scenes, and now that I've also finished a few Crap Games which are now in [mention]PROSM[/mention]'s hands to review, I can go back to typing in other people's programs. And my first focus, for reasons which might become clear later on, is going to be the QL.

I've compiled a list of all the 129 QL titles that are indexed over the entire Type Fantastic, as well as a few I found floating around the pages of Sinclair User that hadn't been listed before, and I will prioritise typing in all the games. I'm going to list them all on a webpage, similar in style to the Type Fantastic, and I'll make sure every package made available has the following:

- QLAY-format microdrive image (.MDV)
- files from the .MDV exported to Windows-readable format (so they can be transferred to another emulator)
- typed text file from the magazine
- relevant magazine pages (which is what takes up most of the space...
- anything else that JimG included for the few QL titles he typed in himself.

I'll add some extra info for each file, for instance, whether it will work with a monitor, TV, or both. Take One Day Cricket, from ZX Computing: Jim says the text is unaligned and the game crashes when it tries to print something off-screen, but he must have tried to run it with a monitor. Use the TV setting and everything works fine.

The QL never had much in the way of games, and those that made it to type-ins are worth preserving properly.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Excellent [mention]TMD2003[/mention],

What emulator are you using, and can it take screenshots?

Thanks
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I'm using QLAY 0.90, running through DOSBox.

I've only just (yesterday) discovered the qlay.rc file can select a number of different screen modes (d=1 to d=7), and I'm never quite sure which is the right one. Mode 3 looks like the characters are the correct size, i.e. each pixel is square - but the display only uses about half of the DOSBox window and the QL display looks to be (for the most part) a 2:1 aspect ratio, or at least close to that, with the white and red monitor windows showing virtually square. And, quite usefully, there are yellow and red indicator lights in the window that show when the "power" is on and the microdrive is running.

I went looking on ThemTube to see if there were any videos of a QL actually running on a monitor or TV (Nostalgia Nerd is clearly using QLAY to show his full-screen examples) and I found "Tezza" from New Zealand who has a working QL and an old monitor. So he hit F1 at he start and the picture fills the screen, with the white and red windows as rectangles. To get a picture that looks like "Tezza" does, and that fills the DOSBox window without printing "Initializations done" in the top left corner, I change to Mode 6.

There's a Connect 4 program in the Sinclair User listings that I typed in back in April, and I'm using that to assess which screen mode is best. I do intend to take screenshots, but I've got to get it right first - and it's going to involve hitting PrintScreen and pasting the result into GIMP, rather than there being any QL equivalent of the .SCR format. If there was, it'd be in the perfect aspect ratio every time. I may also going to have to ruin my sight further as my gloriously-magnified DOSBox settings that scales the window to double-size makes hazy edges around the pixels - or, maybe that's QLAY itself, seeing as the screen scaling is all over the place. In both Mode 3 and Mode 6, the circles on the Connect 4 game don't appear as circles. Maybe one of the modes will do what I need?

Investigation continues. Mode 3, I reckon, will at least be right for typing in programs so that I can see what the microdrive is doing.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

And here are the results, after reverting DOSBox back to its original settings:

Modes 1-5 all show the QL in its native 512x256 resolution, but add extraneous bits round the screen.

Mode 1 = a window size of 640x350 (yes, 350, not 360) without the indicator lights at the bottom.
Mode 2 = 640x400, showing the indicator lights.
Mode 3 = 640x480, with some wasted space below.
Mode 4 = 800x600, with even more wasted space below and to the right.
Mode 5 = 800x600 again, but for some reason the indicator lights are all in the same colour, either green or red.

Then there's Modes 6 and 7 which appear to be identical, and stretch the screen to 1024x768 - doubling the width and tripling the height, for an overall 4:3 aspect ratio, and which TV-based programs are probably intended to appear with.

However, for preservation purposes - at least, as far as can be done with a DOS-based bare-bones emulator - I'll take screenshots at 512x256. By which I mean, I'll take them in Mode 6 so I can see what's going on, and scale them back down with no interpolation so that the result is one QL pixel to one bitmap pixel.

At some stage I also have to see if I can get ZEsarUX to recognise QLAY microdrives. I'm told it will, somehow...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Have you tried this [mention]TMD2003[/mention]?

http://www.terdina.net/ql/winql.html
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I was told that was a paid-for job. (And it turns out I was right - it's shareware, and the buy-it-here link is down!) And if there's no standardisation from one QL emulator microdrive format to another, I'm going to be deep in the clarts...

Already, I've tried converting the listings that Jim Grimwood typed in, circa 2002. He stored them in text format, one file ending in .bas that's readable by a standard Windows text editor, and another ending in _bas that's supposedly QL format. Apparently the difference is in the "enter" character - Windows uses carriage return and line feed, the QL uses line feed only (which I find Unix does as well, hence also Mac OS X) and can't read the Windows version.

But then I tried following the instructions that came with one of Jim's packages about how to convert the _BAS file for QLAY, using QLAYT:
(first get shot of qlay.dir, or at least rename it to something QLAY can't read, then...)
echo (file)_bas > bob.txt
qlayt -c bob.txt

Two of these worked (Javelin and One Day Cricket, both from the same issue of ZX Computing). One flatly refused to work at all (Santa's Dilemma), and I have no idea what separates one from the other. Even after examining the text files to find that they're all LF-only text files that appear as a massive, connected wall of text on Notepad but look fine on Notepad++ which can read LF-only text.

But *then* there's Nowotnik Puzzle, which appeared as LF-only text, compiled into QL files with QLAYT... and then appeared on the QL covered in carriage returns, or at least I assume they are because every line ended with a chessboard character (think graphic A or H on a ZX81) and anything that wasn't a REMark had been interpreted as a MIStake and I had to manually edit every line to get it to work. Which it did, in the end, but not without this extra effort.

I suppose, before I go ahead and type in all these QL programs, I should find what's the best format to use that will be usable by the highest number of QL aficionados. I've signed up for the QL Forum, but the mods haven't activated my account yet.

([mention]vanpeebles[/mention] , I see you're one of them. Yes, it's me, not someone pretending to be me.)

EDIT: the thought occurs, I had QLAY recommended to me on t'other forum when I first mentioned I needed to type in QL listings, and JimG told me about it. So far it's the only one I've managed to get to work - as in, I can load and save to a microdrive image in much the same way as I can do to a tape, disc or microdrive image with the Spectrum. QLAY was last updated in 1999, and the author considers it "finished", there is no more to do, even though there *is* - i.e. flashing text doesn't work and never did, there's no floppy disc emulation, and none of the QL's various peripherals are emulated. Seeing as it's been around for so long, surely a QLAY .MDV image should be what other emulators that have sprung up since - and there are nowhere near as many as there are for the Spectrum - should be aiming to handle as the standard? And yet, I tried the trial-version of Q-emuLator and it couldn't accept the .MDV file, neither did ZEsarUX and it even told me this was an unrecognised extension. EightyOne also has QL emulation, apparently, but I can't get it to do anything other than print a load of coloured lines on the screen, and I don't mean the memory-test shash that fills the screen on startup. This is what I've signed up the QL forum for - iron all these problems out before I dive into the deep end.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] - how do these screenshots look?

Inferno (Sinclair User, April 1985)

Tower of Brahma (Sinclair User, August 1985)

The Snake (Sinclair User, September 1985)

Connect 4 (Sinclair User, November 1985)
Image - the game I used to test the screen modes

Bombs Away (Sinclair User, November 1985)

Graphics Toolkit (Sinclair User, 1986 Annual)

Javelin (ZX Computing, June 1986)

One Day Cricket (ZX Computing, June 1986)