New WoS and ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Mike Davies
Microbot

Re: New WoS and ZXDB

Post by Mike Davies »

moroz1999 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:05 pm 1. Gather some really short and strong facts together in one place (sticky-topic here on forum?).
2. Every time you meet new accusations or old myths, just leave the comment with link. This way Lee will have to spend more efforts for slandering than you for defenses.
These are great ideas.

This sounds like a FAQ, something with a nice short memorable link. Einar has written multiple times in there (with references), so perhaps it's something we as a community to gather Einar's posts over the last month, and distil them into a clear FAQ pattern.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Thanks everybody for your support!

Also I appreciate the offer for others to compile a FAQ because I'm tired of writing about this subject myself :)
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Ralf wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm This is a war that can't be won. Lee won't admit his wrongdoings. WOS won't be shut down and I believe we don't want it here.
There will be always a small group of people who believe Lee and a bigger group of people who don't care.
Great post although I'd add to "a bigger group of people who don't care" with "or are hesitant to get involved". I have a feeling that there could well be a few regular/long-standing users on WoSF who have seen through WoS's bullsh*t but have been like me in the past and not gotten involved. I'm definitely guilty of that in the past and I bet I'm not alone. Sometimes silence speaks volumes, particularly from users who are particularly vociferous when they feel a fellow user has been wronged.

Personally I don't want WoS going anywhere and I will forever respect and admire Lee for bringing WoS back from the ashes when Martijn left and the WoS server died.

But all this has been WoS bullsh*t. And I'm glad the community has not accepted it.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I'm sure a lot of participants in Speccy forums over recent years (both WoS and SC) can make up their minds. Aside from the jokey pic a few posts earlier I haven't said much about it, but I haven't posted on the WoS forums for years now, there was too much unnecessary arguing and banning that could have easily been avoided. WoSsers are pretty sound though, despite a lack of culinary skills in some areas... :lol:

Until recently I was still visiting the WoS site regularly, but without sounding like a grumpy old git ("Too late for that!" - Ed) I just can't find anything now. Aside from the database issues, the new site renders badly on both desktop and mobile, there are lots of basic design and navigation errors, its lists are slow and cumbersome, and any useful functions I used to use to find things are now gone. I really don't know what I would suggest, other than "please get a professional web designer in to re-do it from scratch, perhaps consulting a real site user or two". But we all know how well that suggestion would go down... :shock:

In contrast, I think [mention]PeterJ[/mention] has taken a good approach to this site and forum, encouraging participation and suggestions without wrangling, and making good use of the expertise of technically competent helpers and contributors. It's a 'community' after all.

For me SC is functional and easy to use. It's not about competition or taking sides - it's about creating something open and welcoming that people want to participate in and contribute to. People will be drawn to that, I wouldn't worry about doing much else. Nobody's got a monopoly on Speccy stuff, there are tons of places you can visit around the interwebs (and back on topic, a lot of them now use ZXDB ;) )
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

Frankly, both sides of this are equally unsympathetic to me (although for different reasons), so it's a bit of a 'sh!t vs p!ss', you-asked-for-it situation. But at least I'm glad it took all the NPCs less than a month to process the input data and agree with me. :)
Mysterious quote. Where does this come from? wrote:ZXVega+. No criticism without offering new information. We don't want to be a platform for ranting or attacks. If you don't have anything factual to add, don't add it.
If you're able to compute 2x2=4 and see the parallels, do something productive for once - there's enough fuglyness in the world as-is. (If not, I press 'No' beforehand to your tutorials about the name of this city, how things Actually Are and other topics ;) ).
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 am But at least I'm glad it took all the NPCs less than a month to process the input data and agree with me. :)
We really don't agree.
Nienn Heskil wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 am
Mysterious quote. Where does this come from? wrote:ZXVega+. No criticism without offering new information. We don't want to be a platform for ranting or attacks. If you don't have anything factual to add, don't add it.
If you're able to compute 2x2=4 and see the parallels, do something productive for once - there's enough fuglyness in the world as-is. (If not, I press 'No' beforehand to your tutorials about the name of this city, how things Actually Are and other topics ;) ).
Cut out the snotty attitude and stop telling the rest of us what we can and can't discuss. You've already received a warning from the mods about this (in record time).
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Nienn Heskil[/mention],

Can I suggest you maybe just ignore the sections of the forum that aren't of interest to you?
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Guys i've run out of popcorn... I got through 238 bags of it already!

All i could think of while reading Lees long winded useless post was a small child covering his little eyes up and shouting...

"you can't see me, you can't see me"

Einar, i'm in agreement with a few of the last few posts here, it must take quite some time to write your extensive factual posts, and while the proof is undeniable and i'm still amazed by your restrain, it IS as you say going round in circles. I don't think it's getting anywhere and your time is better spent.

However, i also don't want to think that deciding to no longer fight this means Lee gets exactly what he wants. To get off scott free, where undoubtedly he will continue to lie and falsely accuse AND take credit for a newly emerging Spectrum database built on other peoples hard work. It just isn't fair...

**Throws toys out of pram**

Props to the SC and ZXDB krew. peace.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

hitm4n wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:21 pmAll i could think of while reading Lees long winded useless post was a small child covering his little eyes up and shouting...

"you can't see me, you can't see me"
...Lee is the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!