Outlet Software marked as MIA

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Outlet Software marked as MIA

Post by druellan »

Hi! I've found something interesting on the database:

There is an electronic publication called OUTLET, The Spectrum Drive Magazine. This publication used to compile a bunch of software (Tape, Disciple and Microdrive). The magazine is available for download, for example:

https://zxinfo.dk/details/0021896

And in that magazine there is a software called Randomaze. If you search for that software, you can find an individual entry on the database:

https://zxinfo.dk/details/0021888

This entry is marked as "On magazine covertape", so, seems to indicate the entry is related to the same software edition, but later is marked as MIA, which seems strange.

There are 1104 Outlet-related titles marked as MIA, I've checked a bunch, and all seems to be available inside the magazine:

https://zxinfo.dk/search/outlet?availab ... ttype=grid

So, I'm not sure what's the deal here. AFAIK seems that those titles where never published outside the magazine, so, the MIA tag is not correct?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Outlet Software marked as MIA

Post by PeterJ »

Hi, [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] will know for sure but I think that MIA flag is from WoS so may be out of date, which is why we don't use it.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=21888
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Are all the OUTLET issues verified? I was under the impression that a number were corrupted archives.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I only tested a couple of images, but I can confirm that two of the MIA-marked software is OK, so, seems not to be a correlation.
Anyway, I can try and start testing all of them. I used to have a MGT Disciple, so, could be interesting.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Good catch! This information was originally imported from internal WoS archive files. I just checked, it was already inconsistent there. Although the WoS website interface was smart enough to avoid showing this inconsistency.

Since there's doubt if any of them is corrupt, and you are considering to test them now, I will wait for your confirmation before updating this information. Thank you!
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

There are a bunch to test, druellan do you want to start at one end and work your way up/down.

From what I remember its the earlier ones that are weird more than the later issues.

Just give me the heads up what end you want to start with and I'll take the other end.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Yes, what I can do is start testing MGT images, that are the latests issues AFAIK. So, if you want to also start testing, you can do that on tapes or microdrives.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Ok sure I will check the microdrive images then.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Thank you both!!!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Just finished testing. All MGT images seem to work fine. I've tested the first files on the disk, some on the middle and the last one.
The only image giving problems was OutletIssue101.mgt.zip, but seems to be an emulation problem, rather than corruption.

So, in short, everything looks fine on all .mgt images.

BTW, this magazine is fascinating. I streamed a couple of images live on Youtube and people where amazed, it generated a couple of video-responses.
Last edited by druellan on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

druellan wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:56 pm Just finished testing. All MGT images seems to work fine. I tested the first files, some on the middle and the last one.
The only image giving problems was OutletIssue101.mgt.zip, but seems to be an emulation problem, rather than corruption.

So, in short, everything looks fine on all .mgt images.
Thank you!!!

druellan wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:56 pm BTW, this magazine is fascinating. I streamed a couple of images live on Youtube and people where amazed, it generated a couple of video-responses.
You can post the link here :)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Sure! But the stream is in Spanish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtS86wFsHe8

And this is an AY music compilation, inspired by the stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl52wSlyjQs
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I keep diddling into this magazines, and I've found two interesting things that perhaps can help other people checking the other disk images.

* First, almost every software includes the magazine footer on the code. Looks suspicious at first sight, but it is just the routine that is hidden on those REMs.

* Some images are altered. I've found a readme.txt on one image stating that the game Captain Dynamo was removed because of the "non-distribution" request (and it is, in fact, removed). So, it worth to double-check any "file not found" errors on the magazines, to see if they are realted to any denegation on WOS.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Another thing: some software was intentionally added to the magazine, even when it is corrupted. So far this is always clearly stated on the magazine's introductory text. So, if the software malfunctions, it is a good idea to read the instructions top to bottom.