New Database Model ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Re: New Database Model ZXDB

Post by Einar Saukas » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:39 pm

hikoki wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:29 pm
@Einar Saukas you are right in this case as footers don't seem to be OCRed
well, you can automatically detect the lack of footers by crawling mags with different URLs. If your search term doesn't return one single result then provide just the estimated /page url
I wouldn't mind storing in ZXDB a different "search term" for each magazine issue, if this was a reliable solution. But apparently it's not. I don't like the idea of adopting a solution that only works sometimes.

Therefore I think the best option we have is storing the "cover page number" for each magazine issue. It seems this approach will always work, except when there's an error in the PDF itself (but then we can work to fix the PDF instead).
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:40 pm

djnzx48 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:00 am
Einar Saukas wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:25 pm
djnzx48 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:27 am
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but in the past I've noticed the magazine references often link to one past the intended page. For example, the Pssst link takes me to page 79 when the actual reference is on page 78. It seems like the page numbers in archive.org links start at zero, with no page number specified for the first page, so subtracting one from the page number in the SC links might fix the problem.
Yes, that's a problem. And it's something that needs to be fixed in ZXDB, not SC.
OK, I didn't know whether the links were stored in the database or autogenerated on the website. But are you sure the problem isn't just a simple off-by-one error? Having a brief look, all the magazines I've seen so far have the correct page numbers on archive.org, except for:

PCN: the numbering starts at the contents page rather than the cover. So the archive.org numbers are two pages ahead.

The Spectrum Show Magazine (issues #0 and #1 only): the numbering starts on the next page after the cover. So the archive.org numbers are one page ahead.

In the archive.org URLs, #page/n1 refers to the second page of the magazine, #page/n2 refers to the third, and so on. For the title page, this parameter is simply omitted.
Thanks a lot!!!

I will include this information in the next ZXDB update, afterwards I can help Peter incorporate this logic into SC.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:03 pm

BTW table "formattypes" and columns "formattype_id" will be removed in the next ZXDB update.

This table is now empty and these columns only contain NULL, so this change shouldn't affect anybody.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 pm
Thanks for the great explanation @Einar Saukas
You are welcome!

PeterJ wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:27 pm
When I go to our MicroMart Page (I didn't know that was included in ZXDB).

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... mag_id=280

I click on any PDF and it says Page not Found on archive.org. Is that something with the path? Every PDF link seems to be trying to go to:

https://archive.org/download/Micro-Mart ... pecial.pdf
It seems to be working now :)
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:57 pm

There's a new ZXDB update already!

Special thanks to @druellan for bug fixes, @pavero for additional files, and @djnz48 for magazine numbering information!
2 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 am

And another ZXDB update is available!

This update includes mostly new titles (thanks @R-Tape!) and hires inlays (thanks @pavero!)
5 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 am
This update includes mostly new titles (thanks @R-Tape!) and hires inlays (thanks @pavero!)
As to the inlays... are they the ones mentioned here?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1661#p23769
0 x

pavero
Manic Miner

Post by pavero » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:33 pm
Einar Saukas wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 am
As to the inlays... are they the ones mentioned here?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1661#p23769
No, @PeterJ must update SC site firstly.
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:20 pm

All done @pavero & @Juan F. Ramirez
2 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:06 am

Another ZXDB version is available!

This update features integration with JSW Central (thanks @jetsetdanny!), hires inlays (thanks @pavero!) and more bugfixes (thanks @druellan!)
6 x