Smart Egg... the Quill?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Smart Egg... the Quill?

Post by 8BitAG »

All the Smart Egg (Rigel's Revenge, Golden Eggcup & Serf's Tale) games say "Authored with a modified version of The Quill."

What is the source for this? I'm trying to track down a reference/interview that states that Smart Egg's adventure system was adapted from The Quill. I've not found any definitive evidence. They certainly started using the Quill (the earlier version of Eggcup was Quilled) and it sounds like they tinkered about with The Quill to add a three word parser... but the later Smart Egg games don't reference or credit The Quill in any way, as far as I can see.

Any ideas?
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Smart Egg... the Quill?

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:55 pmAll the Smart Egg (Rigel's Revenge, Golden Eggcup & Serf's Tale) games say "Authored with a modified version of The Quill."

What is the source for this?
This information came from the original WoS archive. You can read about it here:

https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... ion/23446/
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Thanks for that. One or two useful bits and bobs in that thread that may help explore the code. Nothing conclusive to prove they were actually Quilled games though. Tim Gilberts says it wasn't a custom version of The Quill that Gilsoft were commissioned to produce, unlike the four word parser variant used for Bugsy. Still yet to see anything that proves the Quill connection definitively.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

It's interesting because you can actually UNPAWS the Rigel's Revenge database and get some interesting output... it's almost like they've copied a lot of the code from the Quill... but reviews were very much referring to it as Smart Egg's "own" system... I can only find one that says "it's Quilled". Very intriguing.