Next BASIC

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
PeterJ
Site Admin

Next BASIC

Post by PeterJ »

Has anyone progressed well with Next BASIC. It's probably a mix of my age and the quality of the manual, but I'm really struggling, especially with layers, palettes, and banks. Also page 148 seems to indicate you can built a procedure to create a version of ATTR which works on all layers, but gives no details of this.

If you have any tips or short examples you have written it would be much appreciated
0 x

llewelyn
Microbot

Re: Next BASIC

Post by llewelyn »

Peter I don't know if this is any help but page 24 of this file does talk about layers?

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Making ... Kd_OA_7QXQ

Damn! I just noticed its from the Files on the Next Facebook page and I know you dislike Facebook as much as I do. This 'Making the most of your NEXT' series was originally at the Next site. So perhaps I'll look again but I think they moved it.
1 x

OldGamer
Berk

Post by OldGamer »

I don't mind admitting I'm finding it very very hard going (because I'm old and dumb) and I've now decided to hold off on using next basic until there are some good beginner tutorials on youtube.

until then, I am using AGD.
1 x

llewelyn
Microbot

Post by llewelyn »

Well Peter I'm older (73) and dumber, no doubt! I'm finding the manual infuriating to read, I'd like to convert it to RTF and use Word Pad to edit and do a complete reshuffle, trying to get all the relevant info into specific chapters. Its all very well it saying 'Graphics Chap 2' but not if certain extra bits of relevant info is scattered elsewhere.

The only solution for me is to take that route but as my Next doesn't arrive until next August (assuming I last that long) I have enough time to do this editing and possibly add any extra info gathered from the ongoing additions to the website such as I referred to before.
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

This is worth a watch @llewelyn and @OldGamer:

https://specnext.dev/tutorials/tutorial ... ext-basic/
2 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

llewelyn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:56 pm
Peter I don't know if this is any help but page 24 of this file does talk about layers?

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Making ... Kd_OA_7QXQ

Damn! I just noticed its from the Files on the Next Facebook page and I know you dislike Facebook as much as I do. This 'Making the most of your NEXT' series was originally at the Next site. So perhaps I'll look again but I think they moved it.
Thanks @llewelyn,

I downloaded it and shared via Google Drive for anyone else who is not keen on Social Media. This work is by Neil Streeter:

2 x