Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Since the license requires attribution, I wonder why Steven Vickers, Penny Vickers and Robin Bradbeer aren't mentioned anywhere in the manual.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

So some Accelerated Nexts are now apparently arriving on people's doorsteps according to Kickstarter comments. (Without so much as a shipping notification).

I'm very excited, but I wish there was a tracking notification so I could make sure it doesn't end up being left in the recycling bin on bin day (yes Yodel, I'm looking at you!)
CLEAR 23855
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 pm So some Accelerated Nexts are now apparently arriving on people's doorsteps according to Kickstarter comments. (Without so much as a shipping notification).

I'm very excited, but I wish there was a tracking notification so I could make sure it doesn't end up being left in the recycling bin on bin day (yes Yodel, I'm looking at you!)
The dodgy delivery services where I am can’t even be bothered to do that! They just leave it by the front door, they don’t even press the door bell button. The first I get to know, is when an email or text message comes through, with me thinking, I don’t remember hearing the door bell... Of course, the door bell works fine when I test it, or other more decent delivery services (including our postie) use it...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I am also waiting for an accelerated Next and so far didn't receive any notification about the machine being on its route to my place.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 pm So some Accelerated Nexts are now apparently arriving on people's doorsteps according to Kickstarter comments. (Without so much as a shipping notification).
That's a bit worrying if true. I've been checking my spam but have nothing yet. I've avoided contacting them to date, but just emailed the info@specnext address - I'll post if/when I hear anything.
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

It’s the “Yours Truly” models that have gone out this week and some of those happen to be Accelerated models.

The actual Accelerated models should be going out late next week.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

I got mine a week ago, on Thursday.

And I did get a quick reply from Henrique Olifier, regarding a question I asked about shipping.
But I never got any message stating the the model had been shipped.
Or if I did Gmail made sure to mark it as SPAM or similar.

What matters is that the machine arrived safely, although the first internal black card layer was ripped at the corners, near the machine edges.
Apparently the card is too thin to handle the stress of containing the ZXNext from moving during transit.

Something they could improve in the next batch.

Either add a small foam to support the cardboard, and contain the ZXNest movements, or make the card board thicker or change the design to make use of the remove middle area cardboard (if it was not already re-used to make the power brick card board box, looks like it).

They could probably cut a border off around the top foam that protects the keyboard from scratches, since it seems to be glued in place, and the foam border could probably be reused for this.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Obviously, this is small beer in the grander scheme, but are people still receiving their Nexts?

A silver lining for many is that we may actually be at home for delivery. Could I have a jar of passatta included please? (i'll accept alternatives) :mrgreen:
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

There’s been a slight pause while Accelerated Nexts continue to be made and tested, to get upgraded packaging (hard foam inserts) ready and to assess the current global logistics situation. The plans are to start shipping the ones made so far next week, if possible.

If anyone needs to change their delivery address from work to home because their work arrangements have changed due to current events, they are asked to contact the Next team ASAP through Kickstarter messaging (not via the info@ email).
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Yup, still waiting for my Accelerated. It would have been nice to have it for the apocalypse, but I'd prefer everyone stayed safe.

I just have to accept I may never get to play JSW at 28MHz.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Me too!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I am still waiting too; although we have been locked down for weeks, goods are still circulating. There could be a delay due to controls at the borders however.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:09 am I just have to accept I may never get to play JSW at 28MHz.
Can the acceleration actually help in 2D games?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

akeley wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:53 am
DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:09 am I just have to accept I may never get to play JSW at 28MHz.
Just my stupid sense of humour.. I expect it would be unplayable at that speed - JSW doesn't need a speed boost but the Freescape games will certainly benefit. I don't see that the CPU clock boosts could differentiate between what is 2D or 3D anyway (?)
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

akeley wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:53 am
[media] https://youtu.be/_VC-SYog7Lk[/media]
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Swainy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:16 am
akeley wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:53 am Can the acceleration actually help in 2D games?
[media] https://youtu.be/_VC-SYog7Lk[/media]
That's looking quite smooth - I haven't seen it at normal speed before though. Would I be right in thinking that 7MHz would be the sweet spot for boosting 2D games?
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

It really depends on if the game ran too slow originally or not.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:03 am Just my stupid sense of humour.. I expect it would be unplayable at that speed - JSW doesn't need a speed boost but the Freescape games will certainly benefit. I don't see that the CPU clock boosts could differentiate between what is 2D or 3D anyway (?)
Fair enough :) Mine was a genuine question because I don't really know, just was under the impression that only 3D games would improve...not sure why.

The problem could be perhaps with some games running too fast, even if some of their sections would be ok. Or maybe it could break some games' logic? Again though, I have no clue what I'm talking about really :)

I have an accelearator for my Amiga 500, but haven't tested it properly yet.
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Oh Hiya!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]redballoon[/mention]

Is this the accelerated version? I'm still waiting for mine.

Peter
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Yip, I've got the Accelerated version. Just arrived about 30 minutes ago. What backer number are you?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

redballoon wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:06 pm Yip, I've got the Accelerated version. Just arrived about 30 minutes ago. What backer number are you?
Did you get a shipping email? Or did it just turn up?
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Yes, a batch went out yesterday. Henrique said the other day:

“Hi folks! We're shipping the first batch of the Accelerated units now. It's a lot of machines to ship, so it's going to take us a few weeks to do so -- but some of you will receive an email with tracking info tomorrow. We're now shipping by country due to the disruption, so first is the UK (including Scotland and Ireland). We're sending 360 units out this week, then again next week, and then the week after -- it's going to take 3 batches to deal with the UK before we move to the international ones, so bear with us!

If your backer number is #1302 or lower, and in the UK, you're in this batch. Almost there...

Phew! Back to work we go!!!”
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins