ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by Seven.FFF »

Not yet, but there are some games in progress which will need it. Mike Dailly's raycasting engine (at least two games planned) and Kev Brady's Ice World at least.

It's a possibility that Kickstarter 2 will be for 2MB machines to simplify the options and BOM, and reduce costs (particularly for the sockets), although a decision hasn't been made yet. If so, this will make developing for 2MB machines more attractive.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

So, everyone lucky enough to own a Spectrum Next can see what I’ve spent the last few days doing. Advanced Lawn Mower Simulator Next, it uses the original code and my messy bits: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M4iUPr ... 7uOY4/view unzip, place in your Next games folder and run the .bas file
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for the answers [mention]Seven.FFF[/mention], you're a marvel.

I don't have BEEP since installing the latest build. BEEP 1,1 in basic just gives the pause and no noise, and games that I know use the beeper are silent. It was working in the old build. Any ideas?
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

[mention]R-Tape[/mention], how are you getting your sound? Through 3.5mm stereo socket, HDMI, or an internal speaker/piezo you've fitted yourself?
  • If 3.5mm stereo socket, check you're still plugged into the correct socket (the one closest to the VGA socket). The other EAR/MIC socket doesn't have any audio on it. Also try turning your amp right up, as a couple of people have reported no sound that was actually just really quiet sound.
  • If HDMI, what is the value of timing= in the machines/next/config.ini file. It has to be 7 for proper HDMI with audio. Many displays are capable of displaying the Next's VGA timings (0..6) over the HDMI cable, but the Next won't output HDMI audio unless it's in timing 7.
  • If internal beeper, check the value of intsnd= in the machines/next/config.ini file. Sound is not sent to the beeper unless it is intsnd=1.
This is all assuming you are on core 3.01.00 and SD card contents from one of the zips in https://www.specnext.com/latestdistro/. There have been some recent changes in gitlab which affect the sound slightly, which haven't made it to the latest distro yet but will do so in due course.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I don't know where the beep was coming from when it worked on the old build. It must have been either via the HDMI telly, or the internal beeper.

This is core 3.01.00, and in the config file the values are correct: intsnd=1, Timings=7

I tried plugging some headphones into audio OUT, I could hear the keytap clicking of the next browser, but nothing in 48k basic (no BEEP, no key tapping sound). I tried turning the volume right up and still nothing.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

There isn't an internal beeper as standard, so if you haven't fitted one yourself then it must have been via HDMI.

Hmm, I will have to have a think about this.

Are you using an HDMI switchbox or a direct connnection?
Robin Verhagen-Guest
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nope, didn't fit an internal beeper (I like the idea though!). It's a direct connection, one lead with HDMI at each end. AY is working btw.

Cheers matey.
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

On the latest software, you can switch the beeper to only play if you have an internal speaker fitted, even if you don’t have an external speaker fitted.

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Swainy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:53 pm On the latest software, you can switch the beeper to only play if you have an internal speaker fitted, even if you don’t have an external speaker fitted.
Indeed you can, cheers Dean. I was assuming Dave doesn't have this option, as he hasn't installed anything from gitlab yet AFAIK. But it's definitely worth him confirming if he does or not.

The crazy part about this is that keyboard/menu clicks ARE beeps too - just very short ones! In fact you can extend the duration of them with this poke, so that they become beeps:

Code: Select all

POKE 23609,20
Can you try doing this in the same mode that you can hear the menu clicks, after confirming that you still here them? Once you are in NextBASIC or the command line, you can get back to a menu by doing EDIT+1.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]Swainy[/mention] has cracked it. My settings screen looks a bit different to the picture, but int speaker was set to ON, I turn it off and beeper is now audible.

I'll fire up ALS on it later!

[mention]Seven.FFF[/mention] I did your poke and indeed, it did change the menu beeps.
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

Here is a bit of footage of ALS Next, unfortunately it’s not in 4:3 ratio.

https://youtu.be/xF5O_pPJtNI
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Swainy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:21 pm Here is a bit of footage of ALS Next, unfortunately it’s not in 4:3 ratio.

https://youtu.be/xF5O_pPJtNI
I appreciate the homage to Operation Wolf!
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

Well I thought that it’s a very similar game to Operation Wolf so hence the homage :)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:42 pm Nope, didn't fit an internal beeper (I like the idea though!). It's a direct connection, one lead with HDMI at each end. AY is working btw.

Cheers matey.
Sounds like your Next is faulty.

<sigh> Go on then, I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for a tenner. Just pop it in the post. Ta.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am
<sigh> Go on then, I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for a tenner. Just pop it in the post. Ta.
Swapsies for your SAGA.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:21 am
Morkin wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am
Swapsies for your SAGA.
Which one - the keyboard or the holiday?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Swainy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:40 pm So, everyone lucky enough to own a Spectrum Next can see what I’ve spent the last few days doing. Advanced Lawn Mower Simulator Next
Good work. I'm not sure I'll ever get my head round running a BASIC file and getting graphics and sound like this (well, not including the in-game ones!).

BTW feel free to make new threads for stuff like this. There is a whole Next subforum in addition to this thread.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Got my Yodel email this morning.. only 143 deliveries ahead of me! Sat by the front door like a dog waiting for its owner..
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:07 am Got my Yodel email this morning.. only 143 deliveries ahead of me! Sat by the front door like a dog waiting for its owner..
Brilliant! The worst part is when the number goes to zero and you see the driver's dot moving away from your house on the map!
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:11 am
Brilliant! The worst part is when the number goes to zero and you see the driver's dot moving away from your house on the map!
Well at least the buggers won't be able to claim I wasn't home. I haven't left the house in 3 weeks
DarkTrancer

Post by DarkTrancer »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:14 am
Well at least the buggers won't be able to claim I wasn't home. I haven't left the house in 3 weeks
Don't read some of the posts on the Facebook group then. :o
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:07 am Got my Yodel email this morning.. only 143 deliveries ahead of me! Sat by the front door like a dog waiting for its owner..
...Don't forget to check you wheelie bins, your garage, and every outbuilding in a mile radius from your house...

Then again you might get lucky, it might just get chucked straight through your window.. :lol:
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Morkin wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:58 pm
...Don't forget to check you wheelie bins, your garage, and every outbuilding in a mile radius from your house...

Then again you might get lucky, it might just get chucked straight through your window.. :lol:
You left out: your recycling box, garden waste bin, behind a plant pot, under a bush in your garden, or in your secure place / secure porch (meaning on your doorstep in front of your door) :lol:

Oh, and don’t expect a working door bell to help, as “they” don’t use such devices....

Best sit in a position where you can see them approaching on the road outside your house, so you can intercept quickly if needed...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:12 pm @Swainy has cracked it. My settings screen looks a bit different to the picture, but int speaker was set to ON, I turn it off and beeper is now audible.
We think the ultimate cause of your woes was that you somehow ended up with mismatched versions of core (TBBLUE.TBU), firmware (TBBLUE.FW) and NextZXOS (contents of NextZXOS and DOT folders). The settings have changed in the bleeding edge version of the core, and need the corresponding matched versions of the other stuff to set the defaults correctly.

You'll probably find your speaker setting doesn't persist after the next cold reset or power on if you set it from the NMI menu. It's the same underlying setting as the one on the boot menu and in config.ini, so changing it in either of the other places will cause it to persist.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Seven.FFF wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 pm We think the ultimate cause of your woes was that you somehow ended up with mismatched versions of core (TBBLUE.TBU), firmware (TBBLUE.FW) and NextZXOS (contents of NextZXOS and DOT folders). The settings have changed in the bleeding edge version of the core, and need the corresponding matched versions of the other stuff to set the defaults correctly.

You'll probably find your speaker setting doesn't persist after the next cold reset or power on if you set it from the NMI menu. It's the same underlying setting as the one on the boot menu and in config.ini, so changing it in either of the other places will cause it to persist.
Cheers. I changed intsnd to 0 in the config file, and it meant I didn't have to keep going into to NMI menu to do it.

BTW—if I wanted to make enhanced ULA "OFF" as the default in the advanced settings, is there a value I can easily change on the SD card? (It's because I'm loading a lot of AGD games, and it automatically triggers ULA+, even though the game usually doesn't have a palette set for it.)