SPECTRUM NEXT: Faulty sound over HDMI

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Uto
Drutt

SPECTRUM NEXT: Faulty sound over HDMI

Post by Uto »

Hi all,

I've posted about this in facebook group, but as threads in FB are quite messy, I'm moving it here.

I have received my Next today, and I've run into an unexpected issue: I have faulty sound over HDMI. This is what happens:

1) If I type BEEP 1,0 it seems to sound OK (at least it seems)
2) If I type PLAY "ABC" there is no sound, but a very high continuous note that remains until a key is pressed and you hear the usual key "clck" sound
3) Sabouteur 2 128K music disappears, in it's place I get some kind of noise that looks like the drums track of that sound, but very mitigated. It may also be random noise, not sure.
4) Manic Miner intro sound is faulty, with many notes missing, and in-game music is absent. Even Willy jump sound is there but very mitigated, and this is a speaker game, not AY.

I checked settings in the NMI menu and everything seems OK.
I checked CPU speed and it's set at 3.5Mhz.

Well, this happens with two TVs, but I tried a thrid one and everything worked fine there.
Of course the two TVs where sound doesn't work, are perfectly able to play sound through that specific HDMI ports (one of them I had to unplug a FireTV stick I use often, the other one I use for NES mini, NESpi, PS3 and Megadrive Mini.

I tried three different cables too, all of them work in the TV where Next works, and doesn't work in the other two.

I made the DAY ZERO update and updated the core.

I understand that, as there were issues with the HDMI video output back in the day, there may be issues with the audio as well, so if anybody is up for fixing them, I'm up for testing :-)

In the meantime, I'll start looking for one of those VGA+AUDIO->SCART adapters, not only cause I'd like to hear the sounds, but also cause is more convinient for me, as SCART connector in my retro TV is idle, while HDMI, as a I said, I use for many consoles :-)

PS: there is not any HDMI switch in between either, every test I did, I did with direct cable.

Edit: This is my config.ini:

Code: Select all

scandoubler=1
50_60hz=0
timex=1
psgmode=1
intsnd=1
stereomode=0
turbosound=1
covox=1
divmmc=0
mf=0
joystick1=1
joystick2=0
ps2=1
dma=1
scanlines=0
turbokey=1
default=0
timing=7
keyb_issue=0
menu=ZX Spectrum Next (standard),2,8,enNextZX.rom,enNxtmmc.rom,enNextMF.rom
menu=ZX Spectrum Next (LG 48K ROM),2,8,enNextLG.rom,enNxtmmc.rom,enNextMF.rom
menu=ZX Spectrum 48K,0,8,48.rom
menu=ZX Spectrum 128k,1,8,128.rom
menu=ZX Spectrum +2,1,8,128-2.rom
menu=ZX Spectrum +3e,2,8,128-3e.rom,<none>
menu=ZX80 Emulator (c) Paul Farrow,1,8,zx80.rom,<none>,<none>
menu=ZX81 Emulator (c) Paul Farrow,1,8,zx81.rom,<none>,<none>
menu=48K Gosh Wonderful ROM v3.3,0,8,gw03v33.rom
menu=48K Looking Glass ROM v1.07,0,8,lg18v07.rom
menu=48K Looking Glass ROM v1.07-al,0,8,lg18alt.rom
menu=Timex Sinclair TC2048,0,8,tc2048.rom
menu=Investronica Spectrum 128K,1,8,128es21.rom,<none>
menu=Soviet Timings (128k),3,8,128.rom
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: SPECTRUM NEXT: Faulty sound over HDMI

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]utz[/mention] I've added "SPECTRUM NEXT" to the title of the thread. This is to distinguish it from 'old' hardware (as we do with 'brand new software' and 'games'), in case it causes confusion for people searching for old hardware fixes.

If we get a lot of Next posts in the hardware section, we might create a dedicated subforum.