Evil Clown's Circus Games - Hanoi

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
PeterJ
Site Admin

Evil Clown's Circus Games - Hanoi

Post by PeterJ »

I did ask this on the Spectrum Next forum, but it seems very quiet. Maybe everyone is on FB?

Anyway,

Can anyone direct to to a compiled version of Evil Clown's Circus Games - Hanoi?

I found the GitHub page from 2019, which contains the z88dk source.

https://github.com/Xalior/zxn-hanoi

Thanks
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: Evil Clown's Circus Games - Hanoi

Post by Seven.FFF »

It's in the github repo at zxn-hanoi/zxn-hanoi.sna. In fact, all four files in zxn-hanoi need to be present in the same directory on the Next. In addition you will want to rename the .sna file to .snx before running it.

SNA files are now firmly a legacy format on Nexts, and turn off most of the Next-specific hardware for compatibility reasons. SNX files are structurally identical to SNA files, but the loader treats them as native Next programs, and doesn't disable any Next-specific hardware. This wasn't the case back when D wrote the tutorial. Making that change in the loader inevitably broke compatibility with a few older Next programs, but it's preserved compatibility with countless other classic 48K and 128K programs.

I don't have access to the stats, but I would say there's easily 1000 times more posts and replies in the facebook group than there is in the forum. The forum is mostly there for facebook refuseniks.

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] I went back and added more explanation after you read this.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Seven.FFF[/mention] for the detail.

Peter

PS. That's another screen I can add!
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

Seven.FFF wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:22 pm The forum is mostly there for facebook refuseniks.
Refuseniks were Jewish people who were refused applications to emigrate out of the USSR (and soviet controlled European countries) into Israel. Not sure it is a good word for people who prefer forums to Facebook, unless you meant people who are not on Facebook are not there because they were stopped by some outside force.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Yikes, ok. I will stop using that word unless I’m referring to historical refuseniks. Thanks [mention]MonkZy[/mention]!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]MonkZy[/mention],

It's a word which has entered colloquial English usage for any type of protester. I'm ashamed to say I did not know the real meaning until you highlighted it. So people who don't like social media protest by using the forum instead of Facebook.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

All cool. I prefer forums to FB, but that is because I prefer the privacy of the forum. Shyness I guess is a better word for my avoidance of FB.