Spectrum Next: Technical questions for 3D engine development

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Heimdall
Dizzy

Re: Spectrum Next: Technical questions for 3D engine development

Post by Heimdall »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:21 am [Probably in the next few days. It really depends on when I can put together a few hours to work on it.
Cool, I will keep an eye out :)
Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:21 am Not much in terms of libraries at the moment. People are doing copper stereo digi music, pi music and dma music. dma digital music is a little bit of a non-starter at the moment because there is only one dma channel and dma is too important to take just for audio in most programs. Pi music and dma music are fairly easy to set up.

There are several AY music players from the Spectrum and a new one that uses all 3 AY chips. At least one person is trying to do a mod player now.
A sample program that sets up IRQ and feeds the audio registers (from some array) would be probably more than enough, to begin playing with.
I think I saw a copper sample somewhere, not sure about AY sample...
Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:21 am It's been there already for a year. The design is not optimal though so there is still room to improve on things there.
So, for a year, you only could add new functionality by refactoring and trying to squeeze in new stuff ? Nice :)