Spectrum Next Kickstarter 2 going live tomorrow Aug 11th 2020 9pm BST

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Cosmium
Microbot

Re: Spectrum Next Kickstarter 2 going live tomorrow Aug 11th 2020 9pm BST

Post by Cosmium »

stupidget wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:50 pm As much as I tried to resist, it's become quite apparent that I have all the willpower of a very underpowered clockwork frog.

Can't wait to play the NEXT version of HoH now that they've passed the £1.5mill target :D :D :D
I succumbed too! In the end there was no use trying to resist the incredible lure of a new Spectrum arriving by "mail order", just like back in '82. :D

And so the long wait begins (again, just like back in '82)...
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

MrClump wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 am
Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 am The KS is entering the final week and will close on September 10 at 20:59 BST.
Just announced that if they reach the £1.5m stretch goal there will be some kind of Next version of Head over Heels. Fingers crossed!
Personally, I wouldn't hold your breath for that. While it's great to see the second campaign doing so well, the backers of the first Next - myself included - are still waiting for any the games that were originally promised as part of the first campaign like Nodes of Yesod Next, Rex Next, Dreamworld Pogie, No Mercy - I think it was called No Fate then - and the brand new Dizzy game. It's a bit annoying that all those promised game stretch goals have been mostly forgotten about now.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Gosh [mention]toot_toot[/mention],

I had forgotten about all those stretch goals.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

I'd forgotten there were so many too. I occasionally go here to see what's new, but there's no "last updated" date anywhere which makes it hard to work where things are at:

https://www.spectrumnextgames.uk/

Rex Next has a very positive sounding quote from Jas Austin, but I have a feeling that's been there for a long time (?) Nodes of Yesod hasn't seen any updates since the beginning which doesn't bode well. Same for Dreamworld Pogie although it would be weird to get such a slick demo version out there and then stop.

No Mercy has new screenshots which look tremendous - that could be a killer app. Wonderful Dizzy has lots of new stuff although it's gone from being a Next exclusive to regular Spectrum first and possibly Next later, maybe. So those two look like happening in time. Fingers crossed for the others.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

I know that Rex Next is still being worked on.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

redballoon wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:44 pm I know that Rex Next is still being worked on.
That's good news!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Has anybody played the Magnetic Scrolls adventures that have been ported to the NEXT? Bitd I was incredibly envious of the Amiga and ST screenshots.
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

redballoon wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:44 pm I know that Rex Next is still being worked on.
Is there a link to that anywhere?
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

stupidget wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 pm Has anybody played the Magnetic Scrolls adventures that have been ported to the NEXT?
I have :) The implementation is quite good. I can't say I have completed them or even come close though. Strand has also updated them somewhat (the classic version can also be played) but I can't compare to the originals as I didn't play the games bitd. Mainly I think the differences are in some different / extra art and small changes in the interface behaviour like location images being erased when they are no longer relevant.
toot_toot wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:23 pm Personally, I wouldn't hold your breath for that. While it's great to see the second campaign doing so well, the backers of the first Next - myself included - are still waiting for any the games that were originally promised as part of the first campaign like Nodes of Yesod Next, Rex Next, Dreamworld Pogie, No Mercy
Yeah this time the software goals have been taken on by Next team members so there should be more control over when they are delivered. The first ks software goals rely on 3rd parties who have other demands on their time. Dizzy will come hopefully this year (missed on your list). No Mercy is being done by many of the same people doing Delta's Shadow and it looks like Delta's Shadow has become their priority so Delta's Shadow will come out first. Dreamworld Pogie was interrupted by health issues but the programmer has recovered and has indicated his desire to continue. The tech demo in the distribution shows that he does at least have most of the technical side tackled. Nodes and Rex I think have been asleep for a while but both authors have indicated it's still on their radar. I hope the success of the second ks will rekindle their energies.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

The Next has been made available in the shop for a time (possibly until the end of December) for anyone who missed it. This is the short period before parts are ordered after which it won't be possible to add new units without forgoing volume discounts. Purchased units will be added to the KS2 production and will be delivered on the same schedule (ie expected August 2021).

https://www.specnext.com/shop/

For lower budgets, third parties continue to offer bare pcbs and other compatible fpga platforms.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Last day for shop availability is Dec 31.