Go Mummy for the Spectrum Next released

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
remysharp
Drutt

Go Mummy for the Spectrum Next released

Post by remysharp »

I wrote this game, Go Mummy! for the Spectrum Next (inspired by Amsoft's Oh Mummy!)

https://remysharp.itch.io/go-mummy

The download is available for free (or with donation) and includes full documented source. It's also in NextBASIC and shows off what can be achieved at this new Spectrum speed.

Some pictures below and a video of the game play.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPbxG02 ... =emb_title[/media]
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Re: Go Mummy for the Spectrum Next released

Post by smurphboy »

Remy - thanks for this. The source code alone is worth its weight in gold!

Really enjoying it, hope you make more Next games.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I was bad at Oh Mummy! in 1987, and I'm still reasonably bad at it now.

I think the biggest problem I had, and still have, is the way that it's only checking for one control at a time, so if I'm at an intersection I can't turn in an instant - I have to make sure the man is exactly lined up at the intersection before changing control, and usually he isn't (one square before, most likely) and will just stop. The guardians, on the other hand, have no such restrictions. I am now tempted to have a shot at the CPC version, just to see if there is still the same problem...

Go Mummy! certainly caught my eye when looking for Next software. 11 months to go, just 11 months to go, that's what I keep telling myself...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
remysharp
Drutt

Post by remysharp »

So I made a couple of concessions in my version. Firstly, if you're using the joystick and you're trying to turn right and your last direction is down, it'll drag you along the edge until you *can* move right.

With the keyboard you can combine keys, so if you want to move right whilst moving down a wall, you hold the two keys together and you'll slide in through gap.

It definitely annoyed me in earlier versions of my Go Mummy when I kept getting stuck just one pixel away from the path!