Music references

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Music references

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]Rorthron[/mention] for better readability, could you please keep different voices related to the same title on different lines, and use italics for works' titles as I did? Thanks.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I've tried to present the information in a way that might be easy to import into ZXDB. So each title is on a single line with a colon delimiter separating the software title and a semi-colon delimiter between music titles. I presume italics would be lost when imported.

To be honest, I have no idea how ZXDB might handle this information. If anyone wants to reorganise it, please go ahead. The data is consistent enough in the list that it shouldn't be too hard even to make it fully structured, with separate composers, titles or even genres (which would not be hard to add). That might be overkill for the present case, though it would make it possible to search for classical music, or for different versions of The Blue Danube, for example.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Some more tiny fragments:

Wanted: Monty Mole plays what most of us would know as "Abide With Me", written by Henry Francis Lyte - but, apparently, the tune was called "Eventide" and was written by William Henry Monk. And the tune is all we get... whether Monty just falls over, or grows wings and ascends skywards (I've seen both).

I missed one of the music cues in Corona Capers - "New York, New York", written by John Kander and Fred Ebb, originally performed by Liza Minelli, but the version that more people will know (and the one I was thinking of at the time) was sung by Frank Sinatra.

And there's another one to file under "unknown" - Peking, from the Your Sinclair covertape in January 1992. It's a tricky one, because all I can say is that it sounds like a few bars of the kind of baroque piece I'd find myself playing the bassoon part in the wind octet when I was at school - but, who knows, it may have been written in 1991/92 for the game itself and just sounds 250 years older than it really is. (See also: the final level of Gargoyle's Quest, one of the finest pieces of Game Boy music ever written.)
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Two more sharing the same tune: "Country Gardens" (arranged for piano by Percy Grainger from a collection of English folk tunes, though this is the one most people will know). Probably a.k.a. "English Country Garden", though apparently "Country Gardens", plural and not English, is the proper title.

Found in Ned's Garden by Peter Watson from 16/48 Tape Magazine, and Jonathan Cauldwell's Quantum Gardening, though only the earlier game has an exact rendition (unless Jonathan is a Morris dancing aficionado and his tune is an exact copy of the Amber Valley Morris Men...)
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:21 pm Another update to the list including @Alessandro's additions.

Alien Evolution: W.A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro
* Alternative World Games: Aaron Copland, Fanfare For The Common Man (opening); François Van Campenhout, La Brabançonne, national anthem of Belgium (Belgium); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); Akimori Hayashi and Yoshiisa (arr. Franz Eckert), Kimigayo, national anthem of Japan (Japan); Alberik Zwyssig, Schweizerpsalm/Cantique suisse/Salmo svizzero/Psalm Svizzer, national anthem of Switzerland (Switzerland); John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America (USA); Franz Joseph Haydn, Das Lied der Deutschen, national anthem of Germany (West Germany); Michael Palin, Terry Jones and Fred Tomlinson, The Lumberjack Song (Canada);Thomas Arne, Rule Britannia (Great Britain); Mikis Theodorakis, Sirtaki, from Michael Cacoyannis, the soundtrack for Zorba The Greek (Greece); Eduardo Di Capua and Alfredo Mazzucchi, 'O Sole mio (Italy); Melchior Franck, Lauriger Horatius (via association with The Red Flag, hymn of the UK Labour Party) (USSR)
G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II (Spain); Derek Scott, Swedish Chef, from The Muppet Show (Sweden); unknown
(Austria, Brazil, Holland, Hungary, Israel)
Antics: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565
Apulija-13: first bars of Sergei S. Prokofiev, Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 "Dance Of The Knights"
The Archers: Arthur Wood, Barwick Green
The Birds and the Bees: N.A. Rimsky-Korsakov, Flight of the Bumblebee, from The Tale Of Tsar Saltan, III, 2
* Blacklamp: (128K) a rewrite/remix of Greensleeves?
The Bulge: opening chords of L. v. Beethoven, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor op. 67, I. Allegro con brio
Brainstorm: (128K) W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
Camelot Warriors: Scarborough Fair
Circus Games: Julius Fučík, Entry of the Gladiators op. 68
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus
Dynamite Dan: W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
* Dynamite Dan II: Scott Joplin, Maple Leaf Rag (title screen); W. A. Mozart, Sonata in C (first record); other records unknown; P. I. Tchaikovsky, The Year 1812 Solemn Overture in E flat major op. 49 TH 49 "The 1812 Overture" (in game, when a bomb is collected)
Earthlight: (128K) Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, Concerto No. 3 in F Major RV 293 "Autumn", I. Allegro
* Elite: unknown
Fahrenheit 3000: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565
Fox Fights Back: a medley of: 1) about half of G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II; 2) opening of W. A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro; 3) Johannes Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5
Funky Fungus: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgsky, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
Funky Fungus Reloaded: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgsky, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
High Noon: Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor op. 35, III. Lento "Funeral March" (when a gunfighter gets killed)
Hunchback 2: Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture
Jet Set Willy: Opening lines of L. v. Beethoven, Sonata No. 14 in C# Minor "Moonlight Sonata" op. 27 no.2, I. Adagio sostenuto (title screen); Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, If I Were a Rich Man (in game)
Lode Runner: (128K) J. S. Bach, Jesu: Joy of Man's Desiring
Lost In My Spectrum: excerpts from: Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228; the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Lerchengesang, from Der erste Frühlingstag op. 48 (on completing the game)
* Mad Mix Game: L. v. Beethoven, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor op. 67, I. Allegro con brio; Luigi Boccherini, string quintet No. 5 in A major op.13 G 281, III. Minuetto; Gioacchino Rossini, Air from The Barber of Seville; Unknown but probably a cantata by J.S. Bach.
Manic Miner: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz (title screen); Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King (in game)
Mermaid Madness: P.I. Tchaikovsky, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker ballet suite
Mikie: The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night
Monty Mole: Kenneth Alford, Colonel Bogey March
Moon Alert: R. Wagner, "Ride of the Valkyries" from Die Walküre WWV 86B, act III
Mutant Monty: Edvard Grieg, Piano Concerto in A minor op. 16, I. Allegro molto moderato
Phantom Club: Opening lines of J.S. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major, BWV 1048, I.
Rick Dangerous: J.S. Bach, Toccata & Fugue (opening tune for Schwarzendumpf Castle); Sergei S. Prokofiev, Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 "Dance Of The Knights" (introduces the Missile Base)
Riptoff: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor (help program)
Rockman: W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
Sabre Wulf: J.S. Bach, Prelude and Fugue in C major BWV 846 (No. 1 of The Well-Tempered Clavier)
Sophia: W. A. Mozart, Dies Irae from the Requiem in D minor K 626
Sophia II: Camille Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre op. 40; Dmitri Shostakovich, Suite for Variety Orchestra, VII. Waltz No. 2; Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture (finale); Jean-Joseph Mouret, Fanfare for trumpet, violin, oboes and timpani, I. Allegro
Specventure: 1) L. v. Beethoven, Für Elise op. 59; 2) Edvard Grieg, "The Morning" from Peer Gynt; 3) John Williams, theme from Star Wars; 4) "Yankee Doodle"; 5) Aleksandr Borodin, Polynesian Dance; 6) Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto No. 1 in E major op. 8 RV 269, "Spring", from The Four Seasons; 7) Piotr I. Tchaikovsky, excerpt from The Swan Lake op. 20; 8) Johann Sebastian Bach, Choral "Wohl mir, daß ich Jesum habe" from Cantata BWV 147; 9) W. A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor KV 550, I. Allegro
Super Mutt: Opening lines of Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture
Sweevo's World: John Philip Sousa, Washington Post march
Tai-Chi Tortoise: W. A. Mozart, Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major K 495, III. Rondo (Allegro vivace)
Technician Ted: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228 (in game)
*Tour De Force: unknown (Japan); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, "La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); John Stafford Smith, "The Star-Spangled Banner", national anthem of the United States of America (USA); Arabian riff (Israel); Ivan Larionov, Kalinka (Russia)
Turmoil: G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II
Where Time Stood Still: Sir Hubert Parry, Jerusalem (unused)
A Whole New Ball Game: W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
* Zarjas: J.S. Bach, unknown
And the following from [mention]TMD2003[/mention]'s first batch:

Eskimo Eddie: Gershon Kingsley, Popcorn
Old Tower: Gershon Kingsley, Popcorn
Egghead: Jesús González Rubio, Jarabe Tapatío "The Mexican Hat Dance"
Doomskulle: L. v. Beethoven, Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor WoO 59 Bia 515 "Für Elise"
Gladiator: Julius Fučík, Entry of the Gladiators op. 68
Gunhead: Europe, The Final Countdown
Egghead To The Rescue: Jacques Offenbach, Galop Infernal, from Orphée aux enfers II, 2
North and South: Yankee Doodle; Daniel Decatur Emmett, Dixie
* Draughts Genius: Scott Joplin, Maple Leaf Rag; unknown (title screen)
Mushroom Mania: Daniel Decatur Emmett, Dixie; When The Saints Go Marching In; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America
* Auf Wiedersehen Monty: (128K)
God Save The Queen, national anthem of the United Kingdom (Gibraltar and Montos); Leo Caerts, Y Viva España (Spain); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); Franz Joseph Haydn, Das Lied der Deutschen, national anthem of Germany (West Germany); W.A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro (Austria); Klaus Günter Neumann et al, Tulips from Amsterdam (Netherlands); Derek Scott, Swedish Chef, from The Muppet Show (Sweden); Eduardo Di Capua and Alfredo Mazzucchi, 'O Sole mio (Italy); Greece: Joseph Stein, Fred Ebb, John Kander, Zorba? (Greece); Melchior Franck, Lauriger Horatius (via association with The Red Flag, hymn of the UK Labour Party) (East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia)
The War Of the Worlds: Jeff Wayne, The War Of the Worlds
Monty Python's Flying Circus: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

For the unknowns, I'd suggest a "Name That Tune" style of thread. It's something that was done quite successfully on the Final Gear forums, where 90+% of the music cues on episodes of Top Gear (new and old) were identified, along with Fifth Gear, Jeremy Clarkson's bargain-bin Christmas videos, and just about anything else motoring-related where someone asked. Because there were so many Top Gear episodes, there was a whole sub-forum for it - I don't think we need to go that far, mind...

One more for the pile, from the last of my Your Sinclair tapes, is Wriggler; "La Cucaracha" (trad. Spanish, by the looks of things - any Spanish users want to add to that?) is in there somewhere, but the whole of the tune may be a hybrid of that and something else I don't recognise.

Now that I've investigated the full version of North & South rather than just the covertape demo, I don't recognise the tune at the language selection screen but "it screams John Philip Sousa" to me; then, once we're past that, "God Save The Queen" plays at the control selection screen (probably representing its American version, "My Country 'Tis Of Thee" - cheeky Yanks!)

And don't forget to add "New York, New York" to Corona Capers in the next update...

If I was to be a proper cynic I'd say "Name That Tune" might even be achieved by recording a bit of the music required via a screen recorder (I've got OBS Studio and it seems to do the job), then uploading it to YouTube and waiting all of five milliseconds for its copyright claim algorithm to do the dirty work for us. But am I that much of a cynic? Decide for yourselves...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Said some American advertisers, yesterday.

Digging through some Sinclair User covertapes to find a text adventure that was obviously based on Red Dwarf with changed character names (note that it may not have been on a Sinclair User covertape, or any magazine covertape, it might have been one of Zenobi's later efforts, and I have no way of knowing... anyway, back to business...) I have some more musical cues to add...

...and an unknown. The Untouchables has a Scott Joplin-style ragtime piece; it's overwhelmingly likely to be one of his, but I don't know its name.

Hydrofool shares John Philip Sousa's Washington Post March with Sweevo's World. How did that slide through the net?

Twinz, a Hellenic Software covertape special, has a banging' techno soundtrack that covers:
- W.A. Mozart, "Rondò alla turca" (see Dyanmite Dan, etc.)
- Harold Faltermeyer, "Axel F"
- Jan Hammer, "Crockett's Theme"
- and at least one other piece of 80s synthpop where I recognise the tune but don't know what it is. There may be more.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm Twinz, a Hellenic Software covertape special, has a banging' techno soundtrack that covers:
- W.A. Mozart, "Rondò alla turca" (see Dyanmite Dan, etc.)
- Harold Faltermeyer, "Axel F"
- Jan Hammer, "Crockett's Theme"
- and at least one other piece of 80s synthpop where I recognise the tune but don't know what it is. There may be more.
I just had a quick listen and after Crockett's Theme I could hear 'The Model' by Kraftwerk and a tiny but recognisable snippet of 'Right Here Waiting' by Richard Marx.
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

La Abadía del Crimen (Abbey of Crime) - Opera Soft:
- Bach, Minuet in G minor, BWV Anh 115, Piano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZxwf8 ... e=youtu.be
- Gwendal (Album: Joe Can't Reel (1975)), Crystal Palace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZT_FsbLWNU

The Perils of Willy - Allan Turvey AKA Highrise
-Led Zeppelin (Robert Plant, Jimmy Page), Stairway To Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhCPt6PZIU
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

Apologies if it has been mentioned already:-

In 'Skyranger' by Microsphere, 1985.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4557

'Non piu andrai' aria from The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_pi%C3%B9_andrai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STMOfk6iiOA
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I just wanted to say that I admire knowledge of classical music by some people here. You are doing a good work, sirs 8-)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Cataloguing the latest additions:

Wanted Monty Mole: Kenneth Alford, Colonel Bogey March; William Henry Monk, Eventide
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus; John Kander, Theme from New York, New York
* North & South: unkown; My Country 'Tis Of Thee
Wriggler; La Cucaracha
Ned's Garden: Country Gardens
Quantum Gardening: Country Gardens
Sweevo's World: John Philip Sousa, The Washington Post
Hydrofool: John Philip Sousa, The Washington Post
Twinz: W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca; Harold Faltermeyer, Axel F; Jan Hammer, Crockett's Theme; Kraftwerk, The Model; Richard Marx, Right Here Waiting
La Abadía del Crimen: Bach, Minuet in G minor, BWV Anh 115, Piano; Gwendal, Crystal Palace
The Perils of Willy: Led Zeppelin, Stairway To Heaven
Skyranger: W. A. Mozart, "Non piu andrai", from The Marriage of Figaro K 492
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Wham! The Music Box (Melbourne House)
Careless Whisper
Freedom
Club Tropicana
Young Guns
Bad Boys
------------------------------------

Music Box 128K (Melbourne House)
Train
Gyroscope
Blue Danube
Train
Sweevos World
When The Saints Go Marching In
Rock And Wrestle

Music Box 48K (Melbourne House)
Exploding Fist
When The Saints Go Marching In
Gyroscope 4
Train
The Can-Can
Men Of Harlech
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

No one seems to have guessed the in-game music references in Funky Fungus Reloaded (the intro music has been reworked, but the references are exactly the same of Funky Fungus). Here they are:
Spoiler
World 1: Lalo Schifrin/Jimmy Smith, The Cat
World 2: Oscar Washington/Lewis P. Simpkins/Jimmy Forrest, Night Train; based on the cover by James Brown
World 3: Herbie Hancock, Chameleon
World 4: Maceo and the Macks, Soul Power '74
Game completion screen: James Brown, I Feel Good
Finally, the music for final battle with Seto Taisho is based upon the rhythm section of the first bars and the break of Cold Sweat, also from James Brown, but it is not a rendition of it like the other tracks. I was working to a rendition of Cold Sweat for one of the worlds in fact, but I was unsatisfied with the result and left the bass/drum section and the break, speeded them up a bit and used the whole as the soundtrack for the final battle.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

This is amazing. I thought there were only a few games with music inspired by popular or classical music. I grew up thinking the music in most games was made just for those games...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Time for another musical interlude, or more...

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back: John Williams, theme from "Star Wars" (Return of the Jedi has a different 128K AY tune which I don't recognise, and as I've never been a Star Wars fan I wouldn't know if it was from the film or not...)

The Neverending Story: Giorgio Moroder/ Keith Farsey / Limahl - "The Neverending Story"

Pyjamarama: Gershon Kingsley - "Popcorn" (though apparently, some versions of Pyjamarama are missing this tune)

Nifty Lifty: Scott Joplin - "The Entertainer"

Billy Bong: "Waltzing Matilda" (lyrics by Banjo Paterson, tune - which is what's relevant here - by "who knows"...)

Moonwalker: Michael Jackson - "Bad" (and probably a few more of his works that I have yet to discover)

Road Runner (the 1987 US Gold game, not "...and Wile E. Coyote" by Hi-Tec): Aram Khachaturian - "Sabre Dance"

Who Dares Wins II: Elmer Bernstein - "The Great Escape - Main Theme"

Circus Games: Johann Strauss II, "An der schönen, blauen Donau", Op. 314 - at the Trick Riding stage.

And as ever, there are more for the "Name That Tune" section, which I recognise the tune of, but can't identify:

Jack The Nipper II: In Coconut Capers - this one is obscure but I'm sure I've heard it elsewhere...

Rifle Range (Mastertronic, in case there are any others) - it's a "circus" type tune, not "Entry of the Gladiators". The same tune also appears in Circus Games (at the start of the Tiger Training stage) but hasn't been added to that entry.

I have no idea about the music cues for Circus Games' Trapeze or Tightrope Walking stages, so they could probably be included here. I don't even recognise them from anywhere.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

TMD2003 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:02 pm Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back: John Williams, theme from "Star Wars" (Return of the Jedi has a different 128K AY tune which I don't recognise, and as I've never been a Star Wars fan I wouldn't know if it was from the film or not...)
The Return of the Jedi uses John Williams' "Ewok Celebration" from the film.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

TMD2003 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:02 pmPyjamarama: Gershon Kingsley - "Popcorn" (though apparently, some versions of Pyjamarama are missing this tune)
The so-called V2 and the Italian official translation by Jackson Soft feature an original (most probably) tune in fact.
TMD2003 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:02 pmRoad Runner (the 1987 US Gold game, not "...and Wile E. Coyote" by Hi-Tec): Aram Khachaturian - "Sabre Dance"
From Gayane, ballet in four acts.
TMD2003 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:02 pmJack The Nipper II: In Coconut Capers - this one is obscure but I'm sure I've heard it elsewhere...
Henry Mancini, Baby Elephant Walk, from the soundtrack for Hatari!.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Excellent - two references I won't have to cast the net wider for. One I do recognise, though, is:

MagicAble: Queen - "A Kind Of Magic" (there was a clue in the thread title!)

How's that for rapid, eh?
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention], how do you want this data presented, if it is to be included in ZXDB?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:08 pm @Einar Saukas, how do you want this data presented, if it is to be included in ZXDB?
This information will go into the "comments" section of each game page. This will require a simple spreadsheet (I suggest Google Sheets so you can share your work as read-only for others to help validate it!) with 2 columns: the game ID number, and a proper comment exactly as it should appear in the game page.

Alternatively it doesn't really need to be a spreadsheet, it can be a simple text file (one line per entry) using a special character as column separator such as "|".

For instance, this is the link for game Mikie:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2669

Therefore Mikie's ID is 2669. It plays "A Hard Day's Night", so a proper entry could be:

2669|Music: "A Hard Day's Night" by The Beatles.

Feel free to add extra columns to help you keep track of content (for instance game title). I will simply ignore them. For instance:

2669|Music: "A Hard Day's Night" by The Beatles.|Mikie (Joffa's)

You can write the comment in any way you find appropriate. Although I suggest starting all comments in the same way (for instance "Music:") so people will be able to easily search for these comments later.

Thank you!
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I have been cataloguing the music references and there are two games mentioned here that I cannot identify:

Corona Capers
Includes the following music: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus; John Kander, Theme from New York, New York

High Noon
Includes the following music: Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor op. 35, III. Lento "Funeral March" [when a gunfighter is killed]

Can anyone help me identify which games the comments are supposed to relate to?

Also, music has been given for Sweevo's World (John Philip Sousa, The Washington Post). Is it the same for Sweevo's Whirled?
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

BTW [mention]PeterJ[/mention], shouldn't this thread now be in ZXDB Fixes?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Rorthron wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 am BTW @PeterJ, shouldn't this thread now be in ZXDB Fixes?
Thanks [mention]Rorthron[/mention]. Thread moved.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Rorthron wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 am I have been cataloguing the music references and there are two games mentioned here that I cannot identify:

Corona Capers
Includes the following music: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus; John Kander, Theme from New York, New York
It's my CSSCGC entry that's probably going to see me have to host next year's competition, at this rate. It hasn't been added to ZXDB yet,

And while we're at it, my almost-as-spectacularly-musical entry from 2004, Super Mario Fruit Machine, could also be included for its title music, a.k.a. "the theme from Super Mario Bros. World 1-1" (and 1-3, and - unless my memory fails me - every *-1 and *-3 in the game, and in SMB2J/The Lost Levels as well).