Music references

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderator: druellan

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Re: Music references

Post by Ralf »

I just wanted to say that I admire knowledge of classical music by some people here. You are doing a good work, sirs 8-)
1 x

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Cataloguing the latest additions:

Wanted Monty Mole: Kenneth Alford, Colonel Bogey March; William Henry Monk, Eventide
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus; John Kander, Theme from New York, New York
* North & South: unkown; My Country 'Tis Of Thee
Wriggler; La Cucaracha
Ned's Garden: Country Gardens
Quantum Gardening: Country Gardens
Sweevo's World: John Philip Sousa, The Washington Post
Hydrofool: John Philip Sousa, The Washington Post
Twinz: W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca; Harold Faltermeyer, Axel F; Jan Hammer, Crockett's Theme; Kraftwerk, The Model; Richard Marx, Right Here Waiting
La Abadía del Crimen: Bach, Minuet in G minor, BWV Anh 115, Piano; Gwendal, Crystal Palace
The Perils of Willy: Led Zeppelin, Stairway To Heaven
Skyranger: W. A. Mozart, "Non piu andrai", from The Marriage of Figaro K 492
0 x

MatGubbins
Manic Miner

Post by MatGubbins »

Wham! The Music Box (Melbourne House)
Careless Whisper
Freedom
Club Tropicana
Young Guns
Bad Boys
------------------------------------

Music Box 128K (Melbourne House)
Train
Gyroscope
Blue Danube
Train
Sweevos World
When The Saints Go Marching In
Rock And Wrestle

Music Box 48K (Melbourne House)
Exploding Fist
When The Saints Go Marching In
Gyroscope 4
Train
The Can-Can
Men Of Harlech
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver2210 4th July 2020 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro »

No one seems to have guessed the in-game music references in Funky Fungus Reloaded (the intro music has been reworked, but the references are exactly the same of Funky Fungus). Here they are:
SpoilerShow
World 1: Lalo Schifrin/Jimmy Smith, The Cat
World 2: Oscar Washington/Lewis P. Simpkins/Jimmy Forrest, Night Train; based on the cover by James Brown
World 3: Herbie Hancock, Chameleon
World 4: Maceo and the Macks, Soul Power '74
Game completion screen: James Brown, I Feel Good
Finally, the music for final battle with Seto Taisho is based upon the rhythm section of the first bars and the break of Cold Sweat, also from James Brown, but it is not a rendition of it like the other tracks. I was working to a rendition of Cold Sweat for one of the worlds in fact, but I was unsatisfied with the result and left the bass/drum section and the break, speeded them up a bit and used the whole as the soundtrack for the final battle.
0 x

zxbruno
Dizzy

Post by zxbruno »

This is amazing. I thought there were only a few games with music inspired by popular or classical music. I grew up thinking the music in most games was made just for those games...
0 x

TMD2003
Dizzy

Post by TMD2003 »

Time for another musical interlude, or more...

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back: John Williams, theme from "Star Wars" (Return of the Jedi has a different 128K AY tune which I don't recognise, and as I've never been a Star Wars fan I wouldn't know if it was from the film or not...)

The Neverending Story: Giorgio Moroder/ Keith Farsey / Limahl - "The Neverending Story"

Pyjamarama: Gershon Kingsley - "Popcorn" (though apparently, some versions of Pyjamarama are missing this tune)

Nifty Lifty: Scott Joplin - "The Entertainer"

Billy Bong: "Waltzing Matilda" (lyrics by Banjo Paterson, tune - which is what's relevant here - by "who knows"...)

Moonwalker: Michael Jackson - "Bad" (and probably a few more of his works that I have yet to discover)

Road Runner (the 1987 US Gold game, not "...and Wile E. Coyote" by Hi-Tec): Aram Khachaturian - "Sabre Dance"

Who Dares Wins II: Elmer Bernstein - "The Great Escape - Main Theme"

Circus Games: Johann Strauss II, "An der schönen, blauen Donau", Op. 314 - at the Trick Riding stage.

And as ever, there are more for the "Name That Tune" section, which I recognise the tune of, but can't identify:

Jack The Nipper II: In Coconut Capers - this one is obscure but I'm sure I've heard it elsewhere...

Rifle Range (Mastertronic, in case there are any others) - it's a "circus" type tune, not "Entry of the Gladiators". The same tune also appears in Circus Games (at the start of the Tiger Training stage) but hasn't been added to that entry.

I have no idea about the music cues for Circus Games' Trapeze or Tightrope Walking stages, so they could probably be included here. I don't even recognise them from anywhere.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

redballoon
Microbot

Post by redballoon »

TMD2003 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:02 pm
Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back: John Williams, theme from "Star Wars" (Return of the Jedi has a different 128K AY tune which I don't recognise, and as I've never been a Star Wars fan I wouldn't know if it was from the film or not...)
The Return of the Jedi uses John Williams' "Ewok Celebration" from the film.
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro »

TMD2003 wrote:
Pyjamarama: Gershon Kingsley - "Popcorn" (though apparently, some versions of Pyjamarama are missing this tune)
The so-called V2 and the Italian official translation by Jackson Soft feature an original (most probably) tune in fact.
TMD2003 wrote:
Road Runner (the 1987 US Gold game, not "...and Wile E. Coyote" by Hi-Tec): Aram Khachaturian - "Sabre Dance"
From Gayane, ballet in four acts.
TMD2003 wrote:
Jack The Nipper II: In Coconut Capers - this one is obscure but I'm sure I've heard it elsewhere...
Henry Mancini, Baby Elephant Walk, from the soundtrack for Hatari!.
0 x

TMD2003
Dizzy

Post by TMD2003 »

Excellent - two references I won't have to cast the net wider for. One I do recognise, though, is:

MagicAble: Queen - "A Kind Of Magic" (there was a clue in the thread title!)

How's that for rapid, eh?
0 x

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

@Einar Saukas, how do you want this data presented, if it is to be included in ZXDB?
0 x