Little bugs in the database 4

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Little bugs in the database 4

Post by PeterJ »

Another grand spot from Paul Collins

The apostrophe is misplaced here: the game itself gives the title as "The Eunuchs' Ball"

The listing currently has the apostrophe before the 's'.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... nuchs_Ball
✓ Reviewed
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am Another grand spot from Paul Collins

The apostrophe is misplaced here: the game itself gives the title as "The Eunuchs' Ball"

The listing currently has the apostrophe before the 's'.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... nuchs_Ball
We have it listed as Eunuchs' on CASA but to be fair, it is AKA The Eunuch's Ball as that's the way the Spectrum and Amstrad version were sometimes advertised, in their Adventure Workshop versions....

I've seen Phillip himself refer to it as "The Eunuchs' Ball" so that is probably the correct, intended title.

Edit: Given the inlay for the Spectrum version (or at least one of the inlays... they had to be redone when Philip Reynolds had his computers stolen) lists the title as The Eunuch's Ball, you could easily argue it's The Eunuch's Ball aka The Eunuchs' Ball on the Spectrum...
Last edited by 8BitAG on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

You could have similar conversations about the Assassins' Guild...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... sins_Guild

which definitely should be Assassins' not Assassin's.

The Assassins' Guild 2, (aka The Assassins' Guild Two) by the same publisher and author, also appears to be missing from the database. (It was also a Spectrum 128K game)
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

8BitAG wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:26 am We have it listed as Eunuchs' on CASA but to be fair, it is AKA The Eunuch's Ball as that's the way the Spectrum and Amstrad version were sometimes advertised, in their Adventure Workshop versions....

I've seen Phillip himself refer to it as "The Eunuchs' Ball" so that is probably the correct, intended title.
Thank you. I wonder how we should approach this as the screenshot for the game definitely show the apostrophe at the end of the word, but the documentation you provided shows differently. I'm inclined to match the screenshots and CASA, but no strong feelings either way.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 am Thank you. I wonder how we should approach this as the screenshot for the game definitely show the apostrophe at the end of the word, but the documentation you provided shows differently. I'm inclined to match the screenshots and CASA, but no strong feelings either way.
See my last minute edit to the post, which shows the cassette tape.

It either needs to be listed as The Eunuch's Ball aka The Eunuchs' Ball

or

The Eunuchs' Ball aka The Eunuch's Ball

Doesn't really matter either way. Depends if you want to list based on advertising/inlay or name displayed in the program itself (which is the author's personal preference).

But both need to be listed, especially if they would result in a false search.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks. Seen that now.

Not sure if that tape and inlay are from your collection, but if they are please could you do scans for the archive if you have the facilities to do so. Thanks
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Another one from Phil.

In Search of the Holy Grant Cheque

This is not the fault of ZXDB, its more the game files themselves:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... ant_Cheque

The .TAP file is fine, but the .TZX version does not have the UDGs defined.
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

There's a screenshot in Mine called "0030126-load-1.scr" that's currently classified as "Running screen".

Is it a "loading screen" or a "running screen"?
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Mastering Machine Code is a compilation of 5 programs, numbered from 1 to 6.

Is there a program missing, or are they just numbered incorrectly?
✓ Reviewed
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:09 pm Mastering Machine Code is a compilation of 5 programs, numbered from 1 to 6.

As mentioned in the comment they are type ins from a series of articles in ZX Computing, there are actually eight parts:
  1. Hex Loader October/November 1982
  2. - December/January 1983
  3. Tricolours / Newcols February/March 1983
  4. Cathy's Program April/May 1983
  5. Patterns June/July 1983
  6. Racetrack part 1 August/September 1983
  7. Racetrack part 2 December/January 1984
  8. Wordsheep February/March 1984
The two December/January issues were a bit harder to spot on archive.org since they are both archived a year ahead.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:09 pm Mastering Machine Code is a compilation of 5 programs, numbered from 1 to 6.

If you go to the following link, then scroll to the very bottom of the page you will find a zip with the 8 parts:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jg27p ... pourri.htm
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Kosmic Kanga's loading screen credits Dominic Wood for the game and JPW for graphics.

According to ZXDB, they are actually the same person. Is this information correct?
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:50 am Kosmic Kanga's loading screen credits Dominic Wood for the game and JPW for graphics.

According to ZXDB, they are actually the same person. Is this information correct?
JPW is Julian P Wood, Dominic's brother. Julian should be the owner of the JPW nickname as mentioned by [mention]druellan[/mention] here.
✓ Reviewed
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:17 pm Thanks!

I also saw this text before, but I could not see any indication that Cassette Juegos was sold independently. Did you conclude this because there's no explicit reference to any specific magazine number?

Also the instructions transcription reference different magazine numbers for each program, and each one of these programs is currently marked as originally released "on magazine covertape" (except the last one). However the text about "Tu Micro" seem to indicate programs were published as type-ins, instead of covertapes. What's the correct information?

Finally does anyone know where to find magazine scans? Perhaps @Neil Parsons?
Hi, I've already read this post.

I had the complete collection of that magazine, but I ended selling it more than a year ago, unafortunately...

It was quite hard to scan it at all, even with the last five issues (if I remember), with all pages glued to the spine and not stapled as with rest of TM issues. I had plans to work in their scanning. but I let time pass without having done it.

Of course, I could make a listing of all ZX Spectrum type-ins from Tu Micro magazine for my Project BASIC ZX archive/blog, having digitised almost all of them, a part by myself and the rest with some extra help from some readers of my site.

Concerning Cassette Juegos compilation tape, I don't remember having seen any publishing or advertising of this tape inside the magazine, and how much did it cost, but it's possible it was done.
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

The following games are listed as being re-released by Bumfun Software, however they released recoloured versions by Rafal Miazga, some of which are currently in ZXDB, some of which aren't -- at least, I'm assuming that the versions they released haven't had additional changes made over and above Rafal's previously-released versions, I don't know if anyone's bought them and knows if that's the case?

Rygar is an example of a game where the recoloured version is the one listed as a Bumfun game, not the original, and imho they should all be listed as such.

Spherical - recoloured version not in ZXDB
Rod-Land - recoloured version
Target Renegade - recoloured version
Renegade - recoloured version not in ZXDB
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Neil Parsons wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:36 pm Of course, I could make a listing of all ZX Spectrum type-ins from Tu Micro magazine for my Project BASIC ZX archive/blog, having digitised almost all of them, a part by myself and the rest with some extra help from some readers of my site.
Yes, I'm very interested. Thanks!!!
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:13 pm
Neil Parsons wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:36 pm Of course, I could make a listing of all ZX Spectrum type-ins from Tu Micro magazine for my Project BASIC ZX archive/blog, having digitised almost all of them, a part by myself and the rest with some extra help from some readers of my site.
Yes, I'm very interested. Thanks!!!
All type-ins from Tu Micro magazines are available in TAP or TZX in this corner of my personal blog:

https://proyectobasiczx.wordpress.com/r ... /tu-micro/

Beware with two programs... "El Encierro" (TM #7) and "Spec-Karate" (TM #20) were copied in some way, but they doesn't work at all, because of several difficulties with each one of their machine code listings and a bad written BASIC machine code loader in the first case. Impossible to fix, to be honest.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Dan Dare III was originally called "Crazy Jet Racer" in an early C&VG preview.

There's a note (originally from SPOT as we can see here) that says the game is also known as "Crazy Space Racer". Is this information correct? Or perhaps someone misremembered that it was called "Crazy Jet Racer"?
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:06 pm Dan Dare III was originally called "Crazy Jet Racer" in an early C&VG preview.

There's a note (originally from SPOT as we can see here) that says the game is also known as "Crazy Space Racer". Is this information correct? Or perhaps someone misremembered that it was called "Crazy Jet Racer"?
@Einar Saukas,

Confirmed Crazy Jet Racer (as much of these things can be), in an interview with David Perry:

https://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/rvg-i ... vid-perry/
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:14 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:06 pm Dan Dare III was originally called "Crazy Jet Racer" in an early C&VG preview.

@Einar Saukas,

Confirmed Crazy Jet Racer (as much of these things can be), in an interview with David Perry:

https://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/rvg-i ... vid-perry/
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

I know it was called "Crazy Jet Racer". This is exactly what's written in the C&VG preview.

My question is, was it ALSO called "Crazy Space Racer" somewhere?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Based on the interview with the author with no mention of that alternative name, I think it's safe (As safe as these things can be) that this information is false.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:56 pmBased on the interview with the author with no mention of that alternative name, I think it's safe (As safe as these things can be) that this information is false.
I don't think this is a good evidence. If this game was also known by a third title (besides "Crazy Space Racer" and "Dan Dare III"), Dave Perry wouldn't feel obliged to mention it too.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

On the flip side of the coin [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention], there is no evidence (other than one comment with no evidential link) to show it ever did have the title of Crazy Space Racer (At least from my searching which probably isn't as robust as others!). We don't store information without something to back it up surely?

This is why all the bug checking is so complicated and I admire all of you who do it!
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

This Alien Attack
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... ien_Attack

Has it's TAP file under a different Alien Attack
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... ien_Attack

The TZX file on the entry 146 is correct, but the TAP file belongs to 26185

WOS has the same issue, and lists 26185 as MIA.
✓ Reviewed