Cover artists

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Re: Cover artists

Post by Rorthron »

druellan wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:58 am I'm a bit unsure about this one. For sure the signature looks like "n C."

I'm having a second thought crediting him for the inlay based on that.
Fair enough.

I think you can make out a curved small letter before this, which would probably have to be e, o or n in the context. I also thought there was part of a crossbar overhanging the partial curved letter, but this isn't quite so clear, so I could have been mistaken. If the crossbar is there, that would imply J or T before the other letters, giving Jen, Jon, Ten or Ton as the options. Since Players seems to have used a small pool of artists which included Jon Clark, I thought Jon C was probable.

The signature is different, but artists sometimes vary signatures and the other two aren't quite the same, either.

But it's not certain, so no problem if you want to omit it.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Please use Cover Artists 2 for new reports.

Thanks
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Audionautas wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 pm * GNOME RANGER (1987). Original graphics: Godfrey Dowson. Taken from the instructions at Gamesdatabase (although it is an Amstrad CPC url, it is a multisystem manual). Link: https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYS ... puting.pdf).
I can see Pete McBride credited for the text. Level 9 used to provide a small novella with their games, so seems fair to credit him for the "story writing". Looking at the database we don't have a "Pete McBride" but a "Peter K. McBride", programmer but also author of several Spectrum books and guides. On the Ingrid's Back novella he is credited as "P. K. McBride", so, confirmed they are the same person.
Audionautas wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 pm * KNIGHT ORC (1987). Although Atari Legend website credits Steve Weston as the cover artist (Link: https://www.atarilegend.com/games/games ... me_id=3408), according to the instructions manual the game credits on the art department are as follow:

Original Paintings: Godfrey Dowson
Additional artwork: Neil Strudwick and Stuart Lee
Poster: Paul Human
I think "Additional artwork" is probably related to the graphic design on the manual, and the inlay/poster art authors are Godfrey Dowson and Paul Human.
Also on the manual: "Map and Testing: Andrew Deeley" I can credit him as "level design".
Audionautas wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 pm * INGRID'S BACK (1988). Cover picture. Godfrey Dowson. Ingrid design: Pete Austin, Peter McBride, Godfrey Dowson as it is credited on the instructions manual.
Wow, credits are completely empty on the database! Time to fill everything :D
Audionautas wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 pm * TIME AND MAGIK (1988).Pictures: Godfrey Dowson, Neil Strudwick as it is credited on the instructions manual.
On the ZXDB the author is just "Level 9 Computing", but the manual has some interesting insights:

Game designs: Sue Gazzard, David Williamson, Pete Austin
Game program: Pete Austin, Mike Austin, Simon Aspinall
Adventure System: Mike Austin
Transport to your micro:Nick Austin, Mike Bryant (*)
Pictures: Godfrey Dowson, Neil Strudwick
Audionautas wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 pm * SCAPEGHOST (1989). Cover picture: Godfrey Dowson as it is credited on the instructions manual.
Another title without authors, now complete with roles :) Nice!

(*) I was searching about that "transport to your micro" role, and Level 9 seems to be the only company to ever use that term :lol:
My interpretation is that "systems" or "adventure system" is referring to the base multisystem toolset they used to create the first version of the adventure, and "Transport to your Micro" are the engineers that transpilled that adventure to the final system.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Excellent [mention]druellan[/mention] !!!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:35 pm Tintin on the Moon

Other credits in the instructions contradict the information in SC/ZXDB:

Graphics: Didier CHANFRAY
Program: Daniel CHARPY, Philippe NOTTOLI
Music: Charles CALLET
Marketing: Veronique GENOT
I'm not entirely sure those credits are for the Spectrum version. The game style spells NIck Bruty/David Perry all over the place, but also, on MobyGames those authors are credited for the C64 and DOS versions: https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/tint ... on/credits
Since the instructions seems to be multisystem, I prefer not to change that until proper confirmation.
Ersh wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:04 pm
Rorthron wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:35 pm Other credits in the instructions contradict the information in SC/ZXDB:

Graphics: Didier CHANFRAY
Program: Daniel CHARPY, Philippe NOTTOLI
Music: Charles CALLET
Marketing: Veronique GENOT

I think the authors need to be changed in SC/ZXDB. (Note SPOT/SPEX also contradicts SC/ZXDB and agrees with the instructions.)
David Perry and Nick Bruty handled the Spectrum port of Tintin, the credits in the instructions are most likely from the original Amiga game.
This! :)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:57 pm Monty on the Run is signed DB.

Sam Stoat Safebreaker also has the same DB signature.
And also, Monty is Innocent https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... s_Innocent

No idea who DB might be, I'm going to research a little more, but so far seems tricky to figure out.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:09 pm Death Wish 3
According to the following site, "Steve Kerry and Marco Druoe provided the artwork"
https://www.gremlinarchive.com/index.ph ... -spectrum/
I believe "artwork" means the ingame graphics (and perhaps the loading screen), looking at the game credits inside the code:

Code: Select all

Deathwish III By Shaun Hollingworth and Peter Harrap - also Chris,Colin helped - Graphics By Marcos Duroe and Steven Kerry
Chris is Chris Kerry (already credited) and Colin, Colin Dooley, so now we can credit them all :)

Edit: Marcos Duroe is the same person as Marco Duroe. Also, Steven Kerry is listed as Steve Kerry on the database.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

druellan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:49 pm
I believe "artwork" means the ingame graphics (and perhaps the loading screen), looking at the game credits inside the code:

Code: Select all

Deathwish III By Shaun Hollingworth and Peter Harrap - also Chris,Colin helped - Graphics By Marcos Duroe and Steven Kerry
Chris is Chris Kerry (already credited) and Colin, Colin Dooley, so now we can credit them all :)

Edit: Marcos Duroe is the same person as Marco Duroe. Also, Steven Kerry is listed as Steve Kerry on the database.
According to this website (http://www.impawards.com/1985/death_wish_three.html), the original poster illustration for Death Wish 3 is by Stan Watts. Since the Gremlin cover art is taken from the film poster with some minor changes in the lettering, I think Stan Watts should be credited as the original artist.
✓ Reviewed
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 am Flip Flap: Roger Tissyman
Fred's Fan Factory: Roger Tissyman

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkRJones19 ... 2138338304

Freex, Loony Lander, Moonlighter, Shuttle Shock, Super Chopper and Ziggurat all also seem to be by the same artist. They have the same distinctive style, and Tissyman did all the other art for Software Projects/Software Super Savers at this time.
Roger Tissyman's daughter confirmed all the Software Super Savers covers were his work:

http://www.dasse.se/interview(s)-10763411
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

StooB wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 pm Terry Greer

This page on his website shows he also did the artwork for:
The Illustrator
Savage Pond
Forest at World's End
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Also:
Pool (Omega) - ZXDB ID 2400
Cover by Terry Greer
Per the same page: https://www.terrygreer.com/artwork.html

✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

As always, just looking at the inlays and the info available we can fix some colateral bugs :)
StooB wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 pm The Curse
On the inlay the game is credited to P.A.T.H., but in-game Tom Davies is mentioned.

Games Tape 1 (Cover #2)
And cover #1 by S. Harbron

Madcap Manor
There are more credits and roles on the inlay :)

Forest at World's End - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=6321
Roles can be extracted from the instructions. Also J A. Banner = Jean Banner, so we can rename the author as Jean A. Banner

Tales of the Arabian Nights - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5120
We can add Ian Gray as designer, he is credited as such.

Looking at the loading screen:
Seems that "Tel." is the author of the loading screen (and also, is missing the last dot on the DB).

Heroes of Karn - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=6431
Ian Gray is also credited as the origina C64 author, so, we can mention him as the designer.

✓ Reviewed
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 pm
Rorthron wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:46 pm Liverpool (Grandslam): Martin ... [illegible]
Per signature
It might say Martin Buchan, but I am really not sure.
I really think it is Martin Buchan. See the image:

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Audionautas wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 pm * Four Smash Hits (Hewson Consultants, 1987). (Link: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=11179). In this case we don't know who did the layout of the cover, but all the four games in this compilation have covers credited (and confirmed) to Steve Weston. So I think his name should be included as contributor.
Interesting to see full credits on the instructions, now we can complete the credits on the games!

On Uridium Plus, Steve Turner is mentioned as the music author and programmer, but I'm not sure if this is related to the Spectrum or the C64 version, since Stephen Crow was also involved on the project.

Edit: in fact, I can see a lot of names on the proper ZX Spectrum instructions, for example: https://ia600604.us.archive.org/view_ar ... Zynaps.txt

[mention]Audionautas[/mention] can you take a look? I don't want to credit authors that worked on other versions by mistake.
✓ Reviewed
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

druellan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:15 am
Interesting to see full credits on the instructions, now we can complete the credits on the games!

On Uridium Plus, Steve Turner is mentioned as the music author and programmer, but I'm not sure if this is related to the Spectrum or the C64 version, since Stephen Crow was also involved on the project.

Edit: in fact, I can see a lot of names on the proper ZX Spectrum instructions, for example: https://ia600604.us.archive.org/view_ar ... Zynaps.txt

@Audionautas can you take a look? I don't want to credit authors that worked on other versions by mistake.
Hi

Beware here [mention]druellan[/mention]. There's a lot of people credited but you have to think that this instruction booklet was exactly the same for the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad CPC, so they credited everyone who took part in the different versions of those games. In my opinion we must be cautious when we credit people based on multi-system compilation instructions.

* Exolon. It's essentially correct, Cecco did the Z80 based versions and Nick Jones the MOS 6510 based version, but it's not really specific, because Nick Jones composed the music for the 128K Spectrum version and Nigel Brownjohn designed the Vitorc character (Exolon), and we know that thanks to Cecco's Log, several interviews and coverages over the years, etc. So it's way better what we have on ZXDB.

* Uridium Plus. In my opinion these credits are quite simple and not very accurate, not crediting everything. I think what is credited on the game itself prevails because that's what wrote the people that programmed the game but sometimes important information is missing. On the other hand the instructions manual was written normally by the marketing or administrative team, so it can add new and interesting information but must be always double checked.

We know that Andrew Braybrook is the designer and programmer of the C64 original version, Dominic Robinson was de coder and graphic artist of the ZX Spectrum version, Steve Crow did the loading screen on the ZX Spectrum and CPC (S.C or SJC was his signature) and Steve Turner composed the music (not credited on the game and not credited on ZXDB, both on Uridium and Uridium Plus entries). One thing is the music composition and another one the music creation on a specific version of the game. Although is not credited on the game itself, we know Steve Tuner composed the music on C64 because he said so in several interviews over the years. But I haven't found if he exactly did the Spectrum 'beeper' version, so I just asked him on Twitter if he also composed the Spectrum tune or was adapted from the C64 version by someone else. I hope he answers soon. Stay in tune. On the other hand, when they say "music composed and programmed by Steve Turner" I think they are referring that Steve programmed the music to be included on the game itself on C64, not that he programmed other parts of the game.

* Zynaps. These are the credits for the 8 bit versions. Game Design. Dominic Robinson/John Cumming. Code. Dominic Robinson (ZX Spectrum), John Cumming (C64), Michael Croucher / Dominic Robinson (CPC). Graphics. Dominic Robinson / Steve Crow (ZX Spectrum), John Cumming / Steve Crow (C64), Mark A. Jones / Steve Crow (CPC). Music. Steve Turner (ZX Spectrum), Nigel Grieve (not Greave. Also Kevin "Greave" cited but not in the game itself) (C64). J. Dave Rogers (CPC). Cover art. Steve Weston.

I strongly believe that the game design was done by Dominic Robinson only. The Spectrum version is the original version of the game and in the game Dominic credits himself as "Zynaps by Dominic Robinson" not citing Cumming at all. On the C64 version the credit is "Design by John Cumming & Dominic Robinson", but that's simply because Dominic did the original version and John added that. Well, Dominic and John were the tiny Hewson in-house development team in 1987. They worked together in a portacabin in a carpark, just outside Hewson HQ in Abingdon, so it's evident they interchanged ideas about any development, but Andrew Hewson himself comissioned Zynaps to Dominic Robinson (according to Retro Gamer magazine issue 77) and some interviews from back in the day.

* Rana Rama. Just to mention that I have an original copy of this Four Smash Hits compilation and the box included two sets of booklets. In one hand a booklet including instructions for Exolon, Uridium Plus and Zynaps in English, French and German. Because the Rana Rama instructions were quite long in three languages, it seems that Hewson decided to include it separately. I also have a Rana Rama original, so I can confirm that both are exactly the same instruction manual.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:17 am The Empire Strikes Back

There is a signature in the bottom right. It is hard to read, but might be Josh Hayes, or perhaps Jim Hayes.
BTW this is the signature:

It might be something like B. H. Hayes, but is still difficult to make out.
Last edited by Rorthron on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Audionautas wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:33 pm Beware here @druellan. There's a lot of people credited but you have to think that this instruction booklet was exactly the same for the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad CPC, so they credited everyone who took part in the different versions of those games. In my opinion we must be cautious when we credit people based on multi-system compilation instructions.
Excellent, and yes I quickly realized credits are messy on those instructions, that's why I called the expert :D Many, many thanks!
[mention]PeterJ[/mention] can we move this discussion to the little bugs thread? (*)
But I haven't found if he exactly did the Spectrum 'beeper' version, so I just asked him on Twitter if he also composed the Spectrum tune or was adapted from the C64 version by someone else. I hope he answers soon. Stay in tune.
Excellent! (x2)
I strongly believe that the game design was done by Dominic Robinson only. The Spectrum version is the original version of the game and in the game Dominic credits himself as "Zynaps by Dominic Robinson" not citing Cumming at all. On the C64 version the credit is "Design by John Cumming & Dominic Robinson", but that's simply because Dominic did the original version and John added that. Well, Dominic and John were the tiny Hewson in-house development team in 1987. They worked together in a portacabin in a carpark, just outside Hewson HQ in Abingdon, so it's evident they interchanged ideas about any development, but Andrew Hewson himself comissioned Zynaps to Dominic Robinson (according to Retro Gamer magazine issue 77) and some interviews from back in the day.
I think we can leave Cumming there just to honor the original content and add the following comment: "John Cumming is credited as game designer among Dominic Robinson, but since Hewson himself commissioned Zynaps to Dominic, he probably worked on the game design alone, and later John Cumming ported the game to the Commodore 64, adding his own concepts."

Also, John M. Philips is the author of the loading screen as signature JMP.

(*) The "little" on the name makes me smile thinking on how "little" this reports are. Everyone is doing a fantastic job!
✓ Reviewed
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

druellan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:56 pm
I think we can leave Cumming there just to honor the original content and add the following comment: "John Cumming is credited as game designer among Dominic Robinson, but since Hewson himself commissioned Zynaps to Dominic, he probably worked on the game design alone, and later John Cumming ported the game to the Commodore 64, adding his own concepts."

Also, John M. Philips is the author of the loading screen as signature JMP.

(*) The "little" on the name makes me smile thinking on how "little" this reports are. Everyone is doing a fantastic job!
Thank you [mention]druellan[/mention]. Yes, your comment is correct. And yes, John Phillips did some awful loading screens for Hewson: Cybernoid, Zynaps and Evening Star (also not credited to him on the ZXDB; you can clearly see his JMP signature on the loading screen). I hate what he did on Zynaps and Cybernoid, simply horrendous. Yes, loading screens, one of Hewson's weak points. Thank God Steve Crow appeared to do an excellent job on Uridium, Firelord, Eliminator and Netherworld, as well as some other freelance graphic artists like Hugh Binns or Rory Green on Stormlord and Marauder respectively.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:07 pm
Rorthron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:17 am The Empire Strikes Back

There is a signature in the bottom right. It is hard to read, but might be Josh Hayes, or perhaps Jim Hayes.
BTW this is the signature:

It might be something like B. H. Hayes, but is still difficult to make out.
I don't think this is a signature, but initials "G. M." or "M. M." followed by "MAY88". The game was released in June 1988.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

StooB wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:12 pm I don't think this is a signature, but initials "G. M." or "M. M." followed by "MAY88". The game was released in June 1988.
You might be right.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi [mention]druellan[/mention]

Steve Turner respond me on Twitter a couple of hours ago. This is the brief conversation we had about Uridium/Uridium Plus.

We can now confirm that Steve Turner is responsible of the Spectrum music, both on Uridium and Uridium Plus. And also it's very interesting what Steve comments about John Cumming's involvement. I think in this case he refers to Uridium Plus not Uridium for two reasons. Retro Gamer magazine published a few months ago The Making of Uridium and in that reportage Steve talks about "Dominic's graphics". Also in that Making of Uridium that you can read for free here (https://www.pressreader.com/uk/retro-ga ... 6652662821), he confirms that John Cumming took part on Uridium Plus as Steve Tuner told me on Twitter.

All the best!

P.S. As a side note, when Dominic Robinson was programming Uridium, John Cumming was porting Firelord to the C64 from scratch, so I don't think he had too much time to make level design and graphics for Uridium.

✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Great work!!! Thanks to Steve :D
Audionautas wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:50 pm P.S. As a side note, when Dominic Robinson was programming Uridium, John Cumming was porting Firelord to the C64 from scratch, so I don't think he had too much time to make level design and graphics for Uridium.
Reading the article, it says that John helped Dominic on creating the last hidden levels "over a weekend", so he was probably not invested in the project in the beginning, but helped near the end.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

druellan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:39 am
Reading the article, it says that John helped Dominic on creating the last hidden levels "over a weekend", so he was probably not invested in the project in the beginning, but helped near the end.
Yes, it was probably that way, but I think graphics were already done. Firstly, it's quite odd doing an article about Spectrum Uridium using Steve Turner as the main and essentially only source of information based on Steve's recollections (that as we all know, he didn't work in-house at Hewson), instead of Dominic's recollections. But that aside, as Steve comments in the article, Dominic had some memory to spare after completing Uridium and they did a new set of levels, but the graphics were already done, so I think John Cumming didn't do new graphics, just level design on Uridium Plus. The "over a weekend" claim is symptomatic that they did that as a little mischief, outside working hours and in little time, so if John did something, were little twickings on existing graphics.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Yeah, I think it is fair to have him mentioned for level design. This is what I'm going to submit

And the same for Uridium Plus.

I wish to have a "history" or "description" section on the DB to document all this. I'm going to add some on the comments.

✓ Reviewed
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

druellan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:34 pm Yeah, I think it is fair to have him mentioned for level design. This is what I'm going to submit

And the same for Uridium Plus.

I wish to have a "history" or "description" section on the DB to document all this. I'm going to add some on the comments.
Excellent!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Rorthron wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 am Freex, Loony Lander, Moonlighter, Shuttle Shock, Super Chopper and Ziggurat all also seem to be by the same artist. They have the same distinctive style, and Tissyman did all the other art for Software Projects/Software Super Savers at this time.
Yeah, looking at them side by side it is really obvious, I think we are safe to conclude it is the same author.

Also:
Frexx: B.M.R. Kitchen helped with the graphics
Ziggurat: John Pickford - code and design, Paul Ranson - code and design, Ste Pickford - loading screen
Super Chopper: Kurt Goodwin did the music; the loading screen has a hidden signature "Ocean." But not sure what that means.