Rogue like for Zx Spectrum

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Re: Rogue like for Zx Spectrum

Post by Lethargeek »

does Master of Magic count?
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

From what I remember Master of Magic doesn't have randomly generated levels, just a fixed map, so some people might argue it's not quite the same, but as far as I'm concerned it looks and feels enough to be a Rogue-style game, so possibly.

I recall when I first played Oracle's Cave I struggled a bit as I kept getting killed, but later I realised the benefit of picking your rooms and battles carefully, getting a bit stronger, and it became quite enjoyable. I think there was a time limit on the quests though, which ultimately could be a bigger issue to deal with.
0 x

akeley
Microbot

Post by akeley »

I'm afraid that the two key factors - randomness and permadeath - are non negotiable.

Otherwise, there are countless old RPGs which could be classifed as roguelikes (eg Ultima) but aren't really.
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

akeley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 pm
I'm afraid that the two key factors - randomness and permadeath - are non negotiable.

Otherwise, there are countless old RPGs which could be classifed as roguelikes (eg Ultima) but aren't really.
Fair enough, if those are the aspects that defines a rogue-like then I guess games like MoM and Out of the Shadows (fixed map I think) aren't really rogue-likes.

By those definitions Oracle's Cave could be classed as one I think. I couldn't remember what happened if you 'finished' one of the quests on Oracle's Cave. I think you could move onto the next one, but I don't recall if your character retains their stats/items/possessions?
0 x