Mario Kart

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
presh
Manic Miner

Re: Mario Kart

Post by presh »

andydansby wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:00 pm It seems to me that perhaps Alone Coder's 3D engine in https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/for ... 3&start=90 might be pretty close to being able to doing the task. With the demo at 3.5 Mhz, you can come pretty close to being a racing game even if the frame rate is slower. I just tried racing around the squares in the demo and was quite playable.

At 7 mhz it certainly can be turned into a Mario Kart type game.
That is impressive!
BiNMaN
Drutt

Post by BiNMaN »

Looking at the SNES resolution (256x224) and the area used by each player, a single player mario kart type game would be awesome. Space Racing as a F Zero demake is an incredible achievement on a standard speccy. On the NEXT it could be amazing if you turbo the z80...

Just looking back at some mock ups I've been wondering what it could look like for the last decade!!!

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Surely it needs to be multi-player?
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Joefish wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:08 pm Surely it needs to be multi-player?
:lol:

Baby steps, man... :ugeek:
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Joefish wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:08 pm Surely it needs to be multi-player?
presh wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:50 pm Baby steps, man... :ugeek:
:lol:
What I mean is, if you're thinking of multiplayer then you don't want to start out with a full-screen game design; especially when it comes to setting the size of the sprites. You need to consider some sort of windowed view from the outset.

What may be a good start is, instead of trying to reproduce Mode 7, develop an engine that can fill (or erase, from a stippled field) black rectangles mapped onto the ground in 3D (either handling distorted quads, or splitting into two triangles), and make the course out of those, keeping each one as large as possible (i.e. a long straight is just one rectangle).
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

BiNMaN wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:37 pm Image
That is AWESOME BiNMaN! :-) :-) :-)

Though Joefish has a point. The SNES play area was never full screen height, so the Speccy version need not be either.

Inspired by your graphics, I started making one of the music tracks, to prove I can do it!…
https://soundcloud.com/user-211102493/s ... ircuit-wip
BiNMaN
Drutt

Post by BiNMaN »

I'll have to revisit the screen, the snes screen obviously a different resolution so I'm trying to remember why I came up with this example. The obvious choice in the design was keeping the icons out of the playing area to avoid the need to mask.