Blind

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Fahnn
Microbot

Blind

Post by Fahnn »

Has anyone ever done an adventure game in which you (as the protagonist) are blind? Everything would be described in terms of what you can hear, instead of see, and then various gameplay stuff could progress through using combinations of hearing, touch and smell. Anything that doesn't involve sight, basically. Good idea? Or just unworkable and ridiculous?

And if it has been done, I'd love to play it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Blind

Post by R-Tape »

Ooh that's a brilliant idea. I bet it's been done really well on modern homebrew, but not on the Speccy.

My first thought is a text (only!) adventure. Despite having one sense less, the EXAMINE command could actually be expanded upon by having FEEL, SMELL, TASTE, LISTEN. Lots of scope for a good writer. Could be a cracker.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I made a text adventure for the CSSCGG 2015 inspired to Dalton Trumbo's film Johnny Got His Gun, where the main character is blind, dumb, deaf and with his arms and legs chopped off.

You might want to try it, but as I wrote in the disclaimer at the beginning, it is "bleak, painful and unpleasant - just like war itself".
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

My first idea is a text adventure too. Actually it would be pretty standard, for example:

You are in some room, you guess. It's warm and a bit humid here.
>N
You hit a wall
>E
You hit some object
>Touch E
You feel a table

etc...

But maybe there is some more interesting mechanics yet to discover.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Seems a good idea.

In fact, I love the trend of recent homebrew text adventures.

I still believe in the Spectrum community! :P
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

If I were attempting something like this then I would approach it by splitting, what would be a single location 'room' in a normal adventure, into multiple locations.

So for example, a normal sized room might end up as a 3x3 grid of locations. This would allow you to position obstacles in the room and allow a more focused experience in each sector. It would also give the player an idea of the scale, and the differences between scale, of locations. A broom closet might be a single location, whereas a hallway would span several, arranged in a line.

Just navigating around, what could end up as a maze, between one doorway and the next would be a challenge in itself. There are plenty of puzzles you could incorporate to make the game interesting.

It would be just a case of coming up with a compelling situation to frame the adventure.

The non-retro, modern 2017 game Perception is an interesting experience to look at. It's basically a horror game where the blind protagonist explores a mansion in an effort to uncover its secrets.

The main character has a few additional skills, beyond the usual senses, to help her. She can use echolocation, which is a useful addition in what is still quite a visual videogame, by tapping her cane. She also has access to a cell phone on which she can use an app to be put in touch with a third-party who will describe what she shows them using the phone's camera. The latter, I think, is a really interesting mechanic. Especially in a horror setting.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.