Keyboard Controls

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Keyboard Controls

Post by Joefish »

I know that QAOP and M/SPACE is the classic key layout for Speccy games, but I've seen some people prefer a sort of 'left-handed' version of this with ZX for left/right and up/down on the right. If there was another option for keys in a game (and not redefinable), what would it be?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Keyboard Controls

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I beg you to include the ZX Interface II keyboard mappings (6–0 or 1–5). :oops:

That said, you could use my redefine keys routine. It’s only about 280 bytes long (along with label/control printing) and checks against duplicate (i.e. already defined) keys.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Slightly relevant but I was thinking about something vaguely related to this the other day, but one thought that is relevant is a lot of the BBC Micro/Electron games did have it "that way around" in that Z/X would be left/right and the symbol keys to the right of the middle row or sometimes P/L would be up/down etc.

My off topic thought was the early ultimate games with their (imo) not brilliant 'all one row' control keys. I can see why it may of been done that way as you can just scan one half-row but I don't think memory was that mega tight even in 16K to not be able to read two halfrows at least. Pssst for instance is difficult via keyboard with original keys, yes I'm aware of how to change it!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

If you are very concerned about size and speed, DEFKEY is only 160 bytes total (actually 133 bytes if you never need more than 5 redefined keys), although it doesn't forbid duplicated keys. And the routine for reading redefined keys in-game is roughly as fast as custom code.

There's not much reason to provide just a few fixed sets of keys, when players can have the option to redefine whatever keys they want, without sacrificing execution speed or code size.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

I love it as a leftie, but ZX for left/right inconveniences people using emulators with an AZERTY keyboard.

I’m not sure if any hardware AZERTY spectrums have ever been made.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 pmI beg you to include the ZX Interface II keyboard mappings (6–0 or 1–5).
Joystick options are not a problem.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Seven.FFF wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 pm I love it as a leftie, but ZX for left/right inconveniences people using emulators with an AZERTY keyboard.

I’m not sure if any hardware AZERTY spectrums have ever been made.
For some reason I thought of the Arabic Spectrum (seen pics of them, never seen one for real) but they do not have this layout. It looks conventional almost.

I don't think any of the E.U exported units have this AZERTY key layout either. Thinking Belgium or possibly France ? But a cursory search did not show anything. Thought Germany used to use this layout up until about the 60's or 70's actually too but I'm probably completely wrong.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Don't neglect people without the full use of two hands. I had trouble playing games using QAOP when I broke my arm several years ago, but Manic Miner/JSW were OK with their OP/Space controls. At least now there's a tool available to help with certain types of games.
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Joefish wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:09 pm I know that QAOP and M/SPACE is the classic key layout for Speccy games, but I've seen some people prefer a sort of 'left-handed' version of this with ZX for left/right and up/down on the right. If there was another option for keys in a game (and not redefinable), what would it be?
As a leftie, I always used ZXKM and L if given the chance.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Looks like playing on PC keyboards is a problem if the keys are fixed, as different keyboards would have Q and A in funny places...
The 'define keys' could always be a one-off event then the code abandoned or overwritten.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

I prefer 1Q90M as I find QAOPM too cramped these days. I don't really like space as fire, and also it sucks if that's the only option on a rubber key Speccy.
I also still like the cursor key layout, either in the QWERT position or 56780, but I think I'm in the minority there.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I was always uncomfortable with the QAOPM scheme. Back in the day I used the Cursor layout whenever available. In later years I accustomed myself to the Sinclair 67890 one.

If keys can be redefined, I always followed the SDKML scheme.

Note that I am right handed, although I hold the knife in the left hand and the fork in the right when I eat, and wear my wrist watches on the right.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I can't think why you'd opt for a choice of choices rather than define keys, but this is an interesting thread. Some of these combinations are new to me. After the cursor weirdos, I thought the next lot was the ZXOKP rabble...
lister_of_smeg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 am As a leftie, I always used ZXKM and L if given the chance.
For interest, why not just a reversed QAOP? PLWQ.
Pobulous wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm I prefer 1Q90M as I find QAOPM too cramped these days. I don't really like space as fire, and also it sucks if that's the only option on a rubber key Speccy.
That's the default Jonathan Cauldwell puts in his games. It's okay, but I can't see why it's better than QAOP. You guys must have hands like Rachmaninoff!

It's wrong to generalise, but to sum up: anyone that chooses anything other than QAOP-Spc (or M for a 48K) is a pervert.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:42 pm Note that I am right handed, although I hold the knife in the left hand and the fork in the right when I eat, and wear my wrist watches on the right.
Nobody wears watches anymore Ale—it's far better to rummage around your coat, trousers or bag for a minute to find your smartphone :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's worth adding that the urban dictionary has QAOP as the "Holy Four" for good reason :mrgreen:
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 am As a leftie, I always used ZXKM and L if given the chance.
This is also Bob Smith's default controls:

https://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=XYZ
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:52 pm For interest, why not just a reversed QAOP? PLWQ.
Because it's not a 'QW Spectrum' :D

Seriously though, it just felt more comfortable not having to reach over as many keys.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

Joefish wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:09 pm I know that QAOP and M/SPACE is the classic key layout for Speccy games, but I've seen some people prefer a sort of 'left-handed' version of this with ZX for left/right and up/down on the right. If there was another option for keys in a game (and not redefinable), what would it be?
If I could redefine the keys, it would always be to Q/W for left/right, P/L for up/down and symbol shift for fire. I'm right-handed, but for some reason I find Q/A for up/down a bit awkward for my fingers; if up/down must be on the left then Q/S seems a lot more natural.