A game to port to... to make for... ZX Spectrum ?

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
4thRock
Manic Miner

Re: A game to port to... to make for... ZX Spectrum ?

Post by 4thRock »

I too think that something original would be best. Or at least something inspire by, but not a copy.
Sure, take Giana as starting point but don't follow it blindly. You might end up with a perfect conversion of a mediocre game :D

If I may, I'd suggest you do Baby Jack or Bombo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzE4uW-UW38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFusC5ZLh0

There aren't many Bomb Jack clones for the Spectrum

PS - I have converted the NES tiles for Blues Brothers level 1 (and most of level 2). Also the sprites.
If you have any interest, I can share them.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

majikeyric wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:03 pm Thanks for all your interesting suggestions, I have started to work on The Great Giana sisters though, I'm actually working on the scrolling engine.

ZX screenshot of the level1 scrolling with RAW converted graphics...
Wow, you are aiming high! There is a lot of colour there, please keep us posted about your progress :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Thanks for all your interesting suggestions, I have started to work on The Great Giana sisters though, I'm actually working on the scrolling engine.
Yep, that's ambitious.
Speaking of scrolling engine, it will be probably much bigger challenge on Spectrum then it was on C64. C64 offers hardware sprites and scroll and Spectrum offers just a raw CPU power. So you actually don't port the game but write it from scratch.

There is a version of Giana Sisters on Amstrad CPC. You may check it, it's rather slow and Spectrum version is going to be slow too unless you use some clever tricks.

You may like to check Spectrum games wi
th best horizontal scroll like Cobra, Zynaps or Stormlord. Some info is also in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=194
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

My skills would probably not be good enough to attempt a conversion of The Great Giana Sisters, but I've thought of it often enough to have decided that IF I were to try, then I'd take a real close look at Turbo The Tortoise, as I think that engine would be perfect.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
majikeyric
Drutt

Post by majikeyric »

I wanted to let you know that things are progressing very well ;)

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Crikey o'blimey! That's going to blow the we-never-saw-it version into a patch of Japanese knotweed the size of UY Scuti.

Checkmate, people who try to sell copies of the original that may or may not be real for £10k!
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

If I may ask, how are you going to scroll the background?

Looking at the graphics, it will be hard to do smooth scrolling with them without some serious colour clash.

So will it be 8 pixels scroll? Or flip screen game? Or something else?
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

majikeyric wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:38 pm I wanted to let you know that things are progressing very well ;)

How are things progressing on this?