Platform games based on album covers

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: Platform games based on album covers

Post by Seven.FFF »

Nice idea!

The Wall
Unknown Pleasures
Led Zep I
Bitches Brew
Goo
Out of the Blue
The Eraser
Let It Bleed
Smell the Glove
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I won't be able to code anything for a couple of months as I need to finish another project I've already announced. In the meantime we could chat about ideas and thereby decide if there's enough interest in a group project (unless someone else wants to code it that is).

So, the initial idea is to have a single screen per level platform game in which each level is based around an album cover.

Taking Rorthron's Velvet Underground & Nico suggestion to start with, here's a VERY rough mockup. It's just a starting point. The level could involve collecting objects ( :o !) which peels the banana. Enemies could be syringes and a whipping dominatrix.

Any suggestions how this could develop further?

What could the player sprite be? One that somehow ties everything together or just a generic sprite?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Your screen mock up is an early contender for the raciest ZX screen of 2018. :) Perhaps you could have a music journalist main character who has to complete an article on the best album covers rather than having to go and create a character specifically for each cover?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 pm Your screen mock up is an early contender for the raciest ZX screen of 2018. :) Perhaps you could have a music journalist main character who has to complete an article on the best album covers rather than having to go and create a character specifically for each cover?
Good point Bob. I definitely think the game should be the safe side of adult so it can be available at SC & elsewhere.

Also agree about having one protagonist, the music journo is a great idea. For some reason I've got a picture of 80's music journalists wearing pork pie hats, don't know if that's accurate or not.

Anyone fancy having a bash at player sprite? What size?
standard 16 x 16 pixels or bigger? No need to set anything in stone yet.

(Edit, reworded)