Minigames within games

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Minigames within games

Post by R-Tape »

For example the bomb diffusion in Joe Blade, or the DNA decoding in Encyclopaedia Galactica.

Can anyone think of other good examples of such games? They don't have to be decoding/defusing games, just something with a similar feel; a small task to fulfil. They don't have to be speccy games either - I'd be interested in any platform, new or old.

For the record, I always found the Joe Blade defusing very stressful!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Minigames within games

Post by Einar Saukas »

evilpaul
Manic Miner

Post by evilpaul »

I'll add Max Headroom to that list for the lift and floor control minigames - I used to love those

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3079
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

I was watching a walkthrough video a little while back of some kind of shoot em up with a 'towers of Hanoi' minigame, can't remember the name but it doesn't appear to be in Einar's list.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cheers fellas. I'm aware of that group, but I've been vague. I'm not even sure how to rephrase, so I guess even I don't know what I mean!

I posted in the design forum because I'm trying to think how a minigame that is integral to the game could be done better. I don't find the bomb defusing enjoyable in Joe Blade, and the decoding in EG is a bit easy/throwaway.

Contrary to my original post, if we stick with defusing, decoding, lock picking and the like, which games have done this particularly well in your opinion? Any platform, new or old.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi

Wudang (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... rum/Wudang), also includes a couple of mini-games.

All the best!
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Is this for a game you're designing? If so maybe we could approach it from the other side - if you can describe what the game is about we could come up with a suitable mini-game.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Frankie goes to Hollywood has loads of minigames. Bedlam has a pinball minigames, as well
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:17 pm Contrary to my original post, if we stick with defusing, decoding, lock picking and the like, which games have done this particularly well in your opinion?
I like Rasterscan. The Pickford Bros were not happy with the game at all, but I beg to differ. The lock picking puzzles in this game are quite enjoyable. I can confess to using an infinite energy poke to play through the whole game, there is not nearly enough time for me otherwise.

I agree with you on Joe Blade..Those firkin bombs ruin it for me.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I quite enjoy the circuit-duelling minigame in Quazatron.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The martians room in Pyjamarama is a classic. And Dinamic's AMC (IIRC) has a curious mini-game on screen while loading.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Joefish wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 am I quite enjoy the circuit-duelling minigame in Quazatron.
Yeah, I always thought that mini-game was brilliant. I wasn't sure if it was taken from elsewhere - if it was invented just for Quazatron it's pretty inspired, I'd be happy to play it as a standalone game on its own, on an incrementally difficult level-by-level basis.

The combination of the different circuit components, limited 'shots', the time limit and the computer opponent makes it very clever and tactical.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I was watching a walkthrough video a little while back of some kind of shoot em up with a 'towers of Hanoi' minigame, can't remember the name but it doesn't appear to be in Einar's list.
It could be Task Force:
https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... Task_Force

See recording for example at 13:30:

https://youtu.be/PxWICZrBfwA
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Joefish wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 am I quite enjoy the circuit-duelling minigame in Quazatron.
Morkin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 amYeah, I always thought that mini-game was brilliant. I wasn't sure if it was taken from elsewhere - if it was invented just for Quazatron it's pretty inspired, I'd be happy to play it as a standalone game on its own, on an incrementally difficult level-by-level basis.
The combination of the different circuit components, limited 'shots', the time limit and the computer opponent makes it very clever and tactical.
Well, it was ported over from Paradroid.
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

Has the safe cracking minigame from All or Nothing been mentioned?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Joefish wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 am
Morkin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 amYeah, I always thought that mini-game was brilliant. I wasn't sure if it was taken from elsewhere - if it was invented just for Quazatron it's pretty inspired, I'd be happy to play it as a standalone game on its own, on an incrementally difficult level-by-level basis.
Well, it was ported over from Paradroid.
Ah - of course, I guess it would have..! (I haven't played Paradroid).
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Ralf wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:56 am It could be Task Force
That's the one. Nice looking game, from the same team as 'Shark'
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Evil Genius wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:58 pm Is this for a game you're designing? If so maybe we could approach it from the other side - if you can describe what the game is about we could come up with a suitable mini-game.
Yes, but I'm just at the brainstorming stage. I have something in mind where you're exploring somewhere and finding things that you can fix/unlock/decode/do something to. I'd prefer to keep anything more specific to myself, as I feel the more I say, the less likely it is to happen :-)
MonkZy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:57 pm I like Rasterscan. The Pickford Bros were not happy with the game at all, but I beg to differ. The lock picking puzzles in this game are quite enjoyable. I can confess to using an infinite energy poke to play through the whole game, there is not nearly enough time for me otherwise.
That's a tripped out game! Yes the lock picking in that is the kind of thing, but perhaps a bit more elaborate.
Good call. It's more than just a sidenote puzzle - it's something you actually look forward to encountering.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Manu128k wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:28 am Has the safe cracking minigame from All or Nothing been mentioned?
Is it anywhere in the youtube vid? I can't find it.
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:35 pm
Manu128k wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:28 am Has the safe cracking minigame from All or Nothing been mentioned?
Is it anywhere in the youtube vid? I can't find it.
It is featured in the video at 02:01, but as the whole walkthrough is recorded using rollbacks, it seems that the player magically knows the key number.

In a normal game, if you enter a wrong digit, it removes all the digits you previously entered and you have to remember all of them. It's not that easy to do, I think that if you spend too much time working the safe, an alarm is triggered. ;)
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Does Lenslok count as a mini game?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

RWAC wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:43 pm Does Lenslok count as a mini game?
Yep, with the same amount of fun and anger generation as Monopoly...
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

That frustratingly pixel perfect face matching section in Robocop.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I think Lazy Jones (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... Lazy_Jones) can be considered a compilation of minigames.
And for something more modern, Wake Me Up! (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... Wake_Me_Up) by J.B.G.V. (big fan of his games, btw!).
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

I like Gwent in Witcher 3. It is card game (Magic The Gathering/Heartstone type) but the most interesting aspect it that you can get new cards in many ways in Witcher world - you can find, steal or win it while interacting with NPC.
Proud owner of Didaktik M