Bean Brothers - playtesting and name help wanted

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Bean Brothers - playtesting and name help wanted

Post by R-Tape » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:19 pm

It's going to be tight but I still hope to have something ready before the Speccy's birthday.

I'm working on this, and would like a bit of feedback regarding difficulty.

Download.

This is one of the HARD levels, I'd be interested if you find it easy/medium/hard or impossible. The goal is to get both brothers to the red square. You may need to take advantage of the fact that you can jump on your brother's head ;)

Keys:

OP = Left/Right
Z = Jump
Space = Switch brother

Also - I'd like to do some translations, I can probably manage the basics myself but would like some help with the title. I'd like it to be catchy, it doesn't have to be a word for word replacement. So if you're a foreign johnny could you give some feedback/ideas for a title in your language.

For example in Russian I might try: боб брат, which sounds like "Bob Brat". It sounds cute to me, does it work for a Russian speaker?

What about the Italian "Fratello Fagioli"? It's alliterative, but is possibly too long so is not catchy.
0 x

RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: Bean Brothers - playtesting and name help wanted

Post by RMartins » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Maquiavelicly Nasty !!! :)

But doable.

The controls make me switch users, when I shouldn't.
I'm more used to use SPACE or M for fire/jump.

I would swap the SPACE and Z functions.

But on a ZX48 Keyboard, SPACE is not a good candidate for jump either (better use M instead), since it forces you to bend your thumb below the other fingers to get to it.
Last edited by RMartins on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Quick work Rui!

The final version will have refinable keys and joystick options.
0 x

RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:36 pm
Quick work Rui!

The final version will have refinable keys and joystick options.
Since one can "hide" one player on the right top, while bringing the other up to top left, it's doable, since you get only 2 baddies that matter.
If one had to control both brothers, while managing the 3 horizontal baddies at the same time, it would be a nightmare.
0 x

Joefish
Microbot

Post by Joefish » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Yes, I'd suggest for joystick control use FIRE for jump and DOWN to swap. Or even UP to pick one and DOWN for the other, since there are only two of them.

I found it very hard - mainly because there's nowhere safe on the left-hand side to leave one while you bring the other over.

With this sort of game I'd rather be trying to solve the logic of the puzzle using two characters, and have safe places to stand them whilst I think, than try and make two characters dodge baddies at the same time. If that's how the game is to play out, then I'd rather be able to control both characters simultaneously, with something like O/P/M for one and Q/W/X for the other. It might be challenging, but it doesn't strike me as fair on the player to force them to relinquish control of a character slap-bang in the path of a monster.

Maybe if you had to lock one character in between two doors, with a baddie descending from above, while the other character had to run from one touch-switch to another to let them out, then OK; then urgency is there but it doesn't detract from the sense of control. But having to leave a character somewhere they're exposed seems more like a failure of the control mechanism to me, rather than a challenge.
0 x

Joefish
Microbot

Post by Joefish » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Just managed to wreck things. I stood one guy on the small platforms on the right, with the other guy jumped up underneath him. This lifted the first one up and pushed him off the top of the screen, and he disappeared! Also, if I jump on the other guy at the start, I can push up through the solid blocks.

Also, if I'm carrying the other guy, I expect to be able to carry him left and right as I go. This would at least make some bits easier.
0 x

Joefish
Microbot

Post by Joefish » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:04 pm

It'd be neat if you could 'kill' a baddie by slamming a door on it...
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:53 pm

RMartins wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 pm
If one had to control both brothers, while managing the 3 horizontal baddies at the same time, it would be a nightmare.
Yep, I discovered quite quickly that without 'safe spaces' the game is not pleasant. I definitely want there to be some periods of frantic gameplay though.
Joefish wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 pm
Yes, I'd suggest for joystick control use FIRE for jump and DOWN to swap. Or even UP to pick one and DOWN for the other, since there are only two of them.
Thanks, I'm not a joystick user - so I take it that using a key for 'switch' would be a no no?
With this sort of game I'd rather be trying to solve the logic of the puzzle using two characters, and have safe places to stand them whilst I think, than try and make two characters dodge baddies at the same time. If that's how the game is to play out, then I'd rather be able to control both characters simultaneously, with something like O/P/M for one and Q/W/X for the other. It might be challenging, but it doesn't strike me as fair on the player to force them to relinquish control of a character slap-bang in the path of a monster.
At the beginning I wasn't sure whether to make it more of an action or puzzle game. Once I got used to the control mechanism I enjoyed the action, so leaned heavily towards that. I'm not keen on controlling both players at once, that would just make it a 2 player game wouldn't it? Though I suppose it's different if I design the levels based on the premise of it being a two player game for one.
But having to leave a character somewhere they're exposed seems more like a failure of the control mechanism to me, rather than a challenge.
I don't agree on this one, this is the bit I like!
Just managed to wreck things. I stood one guy on the small platforms on the right, with the other guy jumped up underneath him. This lifted the first one up and pushed him off the top of the screen, and he disappeared! Also, if I jump on the other guy at the start, I can push up through the solid blocks.
Oof! That will need fixing, thanks.
Also, if I'm carrying the other guy, I expect to be able to carry him left and right as I go.
That *might* be really cool. I'll have to see if I can implement it - I'm getting concerned the AGD editor is getting too full and is going to collapse soon.

*edited*
0 x

MrPixel
Dizzy

Post by MrPixel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:48 pm

there is a color clash when the brothers meld together

the jumps can barely clear the enemies

needs a shield powerup to block enemies

maybe some music

otherwise, it's good

and a double jump feature, the left most lever is too high

edit: i discovered a glitch

you can jump through the wall and the end door sometimes disappears
0 x

MatGubbins
Manic Miner

Post by MatGubbins » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Yup, doors crush the nasties, or at least trap them for a few seconds until they struggle free.
I don't know if I cheated by jumping on top of the other player and leaping through the red platform and then leaping up the platforms - I see that once the level has been completed it is possible to do a double high leap from the head of the other player by swapping at the highest point, tricky but doable.

I would like to see a version with both players on different joysticks/sides of the keyboard for a true 2 player game.
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK