Elite - Firebird original 128k bypass the lenslok?

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Jamerson
Drutt

Elite - Firebird original 128k bypass the lenslok?

Post by Jamerson »

Hi, I've just joined the forum hoping to find out if anybody knows of a way to get the original Elite Gold Edition tape to load past the protection screen without using the plastic refracting lense copy protection provided.
I bought the boxed game from ebay, which came with the Lenslok (putting it on the screen is meant to unscramble an image- one to calibrate and a second to reveal a 2 character code, which then when entered starts the game). However, this does not work. There are several articles on the web explaining how this was a failure with incorrect lenses supplied, only 3 attempts before the machine resets, and other frustrations at the time.
I can play Elite on an emulator, but this does not fully fulfill the old desire of using my old 128k with all the brilliance of the machines feel.
So does anyone know of a way to see the program code so I can enter the correct security. Or some other way of getting past the security?
Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks
Jim
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: Elite - Firebird original 128k bypass the lenslok?

Post by bob_fossil »

I don't think the original Elite is compatible with 128k machines, regardless of the Lenslok supplied with the game. When I had a +2, I managed to get a copy of Elite from the local library and whatever I did to run the game, it would crash to the 1982 prompt after entering the Lenslok code. I could only get it running on a 48k+. I think Gold Edition Elite does not play nicely on anything but the original 48k and plus models.

This would also explain why Firebird released a special 128k version with the only addition seemingly being the ability to run the game on a 128k model.
Jamerson
Drutt

Post by Jamerson »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I do however have the 128k version, here is a link to a screenshot of the game loading. http://birdsanctuary.co.uk/elite/
What I really want to know is can I press a function key or a command break and then look at the code? I'm sure I have a memory of doing that years ago. If anyone knows a way to look at the program that would be great!
Thanks
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

You could always take a photo with your phone, transfer it to your computer and use Lenskey to get the code. It might be a bit cumbersome doing that every game session but it should at least work.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I think Elite performs some decryption based on some ROM code. Since 128K machines have a slightly different ROM (the 48 BASIC part, that is), the game ends up with corrupt memory and crashes.

I just took a superficial look at the game running on a 128K (in 48 BASIC mode) and a 48K, and after I entered the correct Lenslok code, the game made a few calls and performed some black magic, which I didn’t get much into. When it makes a call at address $a2a4, however, the code at the location ($ae69) was different. On a 128K Spectrum, it was already garbled, so the game crashed soon after that.

Seeing that there’s already a hacked version that runs on all machines and has the Lenslok protection removed, I don’t think I want to investigate this any further.

@Jamerson, you can just use your computer or smartphone as an audio player and load that version, instead. I don’t think you’ll have any luck with the official version that you have.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

There's some info on WoS on some pokes that may work https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... nt/177270/ Depends on which version you have. Some to try:

CLEAR 65448 : LOAD "" CODE : POKE 65484,127 : RANDOMIZE USR 65449

or if its the same as the Firebird Softlock version tzx in wos archive, Try
POKE 50858,161 : POKE 50868,161
This will make the Lenslok always ask for 'OK'. Or;
POKE 53372,0 : POKE 53373,0 : POKE 53374,0
This will bypass the Lenslok altogether on loading.

More info on the link
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

Yeah I am pretty sure the 48K first issue with the Lenslok I had wasn't compatible with the Toastrack I had back then. It would just crash. I do remember getting another version that had no Lenslok and had "48K/128K" on the box a bit later so I think that you would need to stick to the 128K version sadly.

I have fitted an external cassette socket to my +2 so I can load files from my TZXDuino. You could always do the same and give yourself more options than original cassette tapes, but still use original hardware to play the game.
R Tape loading error, 0:1
Jamerson
Drutt

Post by Jamerson »

Thanks for your answers everyone, I will try the poke code. :mrgreen: