SpecDrum programming information

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
pianomatt
Drutt

Re: SpecDrum programming information

Post by pianomatt »

I've emailed the author to ask how he got those numbers. If he replies I'll follow up here.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I've checked his book, but that chapter doesn't seem to have any obvious references to say where that info came from.
CLEAR 23855
pianomatt
Drutt

Post by pianomatt »

It might be from a magazine at the time, maybe misremembered? Then again he might mean something completely different. Either way I'm interested to hear from him because on his website he talks about using the SpecDrum in the early 90s for some demos.
pianomatt
Drutt

Post by pianomatt »

I got a reply from Simon Goodwin, and I'll post more details once I get a chance to reply to him.

Long story short - the 7 bit kick and 6 bit samples isn't entirely accurate, but it is an ideal way of handling the samples because if you keep the volume lower on the other two groups it means you can have a nice loud kick that will cut through the mix without clipping or rolling over.

Also, I made another kit - this time it's an 808.

Demo
Kit TZX
Song TZX
matalog
Drutt

Post by matalog »

I took an interest in the Specdrum a few years ago and made my own beatboxing Specdrum kit. I got all of the information I needed from Crash magazines, written by Simon back in the day. I got in touch with him and he sent me some related software to backup.

Out of interest, have you seen the Specdrum System II tape software? It allows proper live playing of all drums at one time, with 8 keys. It adds a slightly different twist to the Specdrum.

Yeah, the drums are basically suitable volumes to be played in their allowed combinations. Looking at the figures in the original samples hex, the range goes from around -50 to +50, with the bass not being much louder than the rest of them to be honest.

Are you still using your Specdrum?

Have you seen this http://www.thesadsongco.com/blog.php?blog_id=18 Search for Specdrum in the blog page.