DEVASM-Z80 - Cross Development Environment in Assembler for ZX-Spectrum based on PASMO

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: DEVASM-Z80 - Cross Development Environment in Assembler for ZX-Spectrum based on PASMO

Post by djnzx48 »

However, it does require that the license be included, which this distribution does not.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: DEVASM-Z80 - Cross Development Environment in Assembler for ZX-Spectrum based on PASMO

Post by Stefan »

djnzx48 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 am However, it does require that the license be included, which this distribution does not.
Agreed.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

At the cost of repeating myself, I'll state it again: this whole affair is none of our concern. SC has already so many troubles trying to achieve authorization to host software on itself to keep track of what others are doing.

It should be an act of courtesy - not an obligation since we are not talking about explicitly "denied" software - of those who run the website hosting that development environment to ask Jonathan himself about an outdated, and freely distributable as far as we know, version of his emulator being included in that package.

Arguing about what other people should do on their own websites and/or with their own software is just pointless.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Arguing about what other people should do on their own websites and/or with their own software is just pointless.
Arguing about copyrights is mostly pointless.
Some people in such threads are always trying to be more catholic than the pope. You distributing some old freeware emulator without
attaching the license? You very,very bad man ;)

My advice is - if you want to live by very high moral standards, do it. But don't impose your vision on others, especially in area of retrogaming.
After all , most of of us copied games form tape to tape and downloaded them from internet when it became possible ;)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

It's about respecting other people who are still developing.
Exploiting and disrespecting actual contributors is a sure-fire way of ensuring there will be no more contributions.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:07 am It's about respecting other people who are still developing.
Exploiting and disrespecting actual contributors is a sure-fire way of ensuring there will be no more contributions.
I would suggest that we do far more than any other site to respect copyright. For example we spent a considerable amount of time discussing, developing, and implementing a whole new system to add custom text on download sections for titles like your own. The other main download site that hosts Buzzsaw+ has never offered this. We have rights to host Zenobi titles because we care about developers and add custom text for them too.

There are many sites out there that have 1000s of titles for loads of systems, make a fortune from advertising and don't give a monkeys about copyright. Do we all get together and try and close these down? Where are the mass protests?

Regarding Spectacular 5.3 (out of interest version 8 was released in 2012, and I don't believe there has been any active development of the Windows version since this time) on it's own with the license in the installer is fine to paste here. The development environment just needs to add a text file with the license, and a copy of it in their documents.

We argue about copyright every few years (we seem to be in a forever loop, and this always holds us back), and ignore the awful stuff the rest of the internet is doing. I'm not even going to mention the Vega+ and the amount of money they took from the community and never paid to copyright owners or donated the promised sums to charity

We have no advertising, no commercial interest and don't actively request donations (this may change in the future), and don't charge for access to the site. We just want the Spectrum to survive for generations to come.

Sorry for the rant.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

This was never meant as criticism of how Spectrum Computing is run.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:21 pm This was never meant as criticism of how Spectrum Computing is run.
OK. Apologies for my misunderstanding.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

Personally I count 14 angels on the head of your average pin.
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Ralf wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am Thr trick is that they aren't using Spectaculator 8.0 :D
Does it really need to be tied to SC, and not to any other (or any) emulator?
There are pair with more-less active authors, why not to collaborate with recent really free software (not sure about ROMs)?
eurocamsuite
Drutt

Post by eurocamsuite »

I would like to thank all the users for their opinions on the cross-development environment DEVASM-Z80, which integrates only completely free tools (Freeware), for their contributions regarding the legal use of this software.

In this sense I want to declare that the Spectaculator legal license has been included since today (you can download it) in all the download links of the DEVASM-Z80 package as well as the SPECTACULATOR 5.3 emulator

Likewise, I take this opportunity to record in the present forum that on June 11, 2019 I have applied for express authorization for use in DEVASM-Z80 to the SPECTACULATOR author, Jonathan Needle.

In the case that the author pronounces in a negative sense regarding the authorization, I will be forced to modify the environment using another emulator.

Best regards and thanks to all!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Fantastic [mention]eurocamsuite[/mention]
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Thank you very much for that! :)