What is the best routine for graphics compression?

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Re: What is the best routine for graphics compression?

Post by Lethargeek »

catmeows wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:26 am black-flag-deck:
I couldn't find this by name, but i suspect it's half empty or overly regular. As i planned to make a compressor for an arbitrary rectangular area and the decompressor was big enough already, i never optimized for "lighter" screens (and RLE is only for attributes). On a big selection of screens LgK is usually much better (hundreds of bytes) for about 90% and very close (maybe a bit worse) for the rest.

Theres are also a few pathological cases (see R-Tape's avatar here :D or a low-res imitation like Alien Syndrome)) with much worse ratios compared to "byte compressors", the result of very limited number of unique bytes for most of the screen area and less (if any) correlation between the adjacent pixels.

Also pics with less regular dithering (like Floyd-Steinberg) may go either way, but usually the chunky method is good enough. .
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Lethargeek wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:14 pm
catmeows wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:26 am black-flag-deck:
I couldn't find this by name, but i suspect it's half empty or overly regular.
Indeed, it is.
As i planned to make a compressor for an arbitrary rectangular area
Ah, it is pitty you didn't. The benchmarks for full screen Are intetesting but I think for in-game graphics, smaller pictures are more relevant. And LZ variants have really hard times with small screens, especially when they have fixed offset sizes.
Also pics with less regular dithering (like Floyd-Steinberg) may go either way, but usually the chunky method is good enough. .
I understand but random dither are hard to pin in general, so I don't sebe it as a problem.
To be honest I'm quite surprised how well LGK works.

One thing I would really like to try one day is proper context -> prediction -> range coder packer.
I mean using pixels on west, north-west,north to form a 3-bit context and kind of range coder. It would be inevitably slow (I did some estimations and for 8-bit probabilities multiplying 16-bit limits I got liitle less than 1000 t-states per pixel -> about 400 ~ 500 bytes / sec) but it would really catch the cases where you have small illustration + text on screen.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

catmeows wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:15 pmAh, it is pitty you didn't. The benchmarks for full screen Are intetesting but I think for in-game graphics, smaller pictures are more relevant. And LZ variants have really hard times with small screens, especially when they have fixed offset sizes.
maybe i will address this in future versions, but right now i have too little free time when my brains are in working condition :(
catmeows wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:15 pmI understand but random dither are hard to pin in general, so I don't sebe it as a problem.
fun fact: once i found one particularly bad dithered specimen and later it turned out the source was a greyscale picture with 8x1 wide pixels :lol:
and another: serious pc arithmetic coding software failed at the EFMB title screen (an example of "abnormal correlation") even worse :twisted:
catmeows wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:15 pmTo be honest I'm quite surprised how well LGK works.
and it still suboptimal very much! :)
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

catmeows wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:15 pmOne thing I would really like to try one day is proper context -> prediction -> range coder packer.
I mean using pixels on west, north-west,north to form a 3-bit context and kind of range coder. It would be inevitably slow (I did some estimations and for 8-bit probabilities multiplying 16-bit limits I got liitle less than 1000 t-states per pixel -> about 400 ~ 500 bytes / sec) but it would really catch the cases where you have small illustration + text on screen.
do you have any estimates about the possible zx decompressor size?
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Lethargeek wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:03 pm
catmeows wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:15 pmOne thing I would really like to try one day is proper context -> prediction -> range coder packer.
do you have any estimates about the possible zx decompressor size?
Not much, I guess. 200 - 250 bytes perhaps.
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

catmeows wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 am
Bedazzle wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:58 am What about megalz packer?
https://github.com/emmanuel-marty/lzsa/ ... /README.md

Here is quite handy chart showing compression/speed ratio.
Necropost: what's 'Pletter5d'? Is there a newer version after 0.5c1?
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

I d
Nienn Heskil wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:53 pm
catmeows wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 am https://github.com/emmanuel-marty/lzsa/ ... /README.md

Here is quite handy chart showing compression/speed ratio.
Necropost: what's 'Pletter5d'? Is there a newer version after 0.5c1?
Good question. I don't know.
introspec
Dizzy

Post by introspec »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:53 pmNecropost: what's 'Pletter5d'? Is there a newer version after 0.5c1?
It is not an official version. When I was writing my own decompressor for Pletter, I realized that I can slightly change the format and allow for longer match buffer (up to 16K instead of the up to 8K in the Pletter 0.5c1). It worked fairly well, so I labeled it "Pletter 5d" and left it on the diagram. I am not really planning to release it, because it seems to be a bit of a dead-end technology. LZSA2 would work better for big(ger) data files with a lot of long matches, MegaLZ works better for data with a lot of small matches (e.g. graphics files). I do not think Pletter is particularly competitive.