Simple USR call no longer working.

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
ch0maru
Drutt

Simple USR call no longer working.

Post by ch0maru »

I've been trying to learn how to do some machine code programming on the Spectrum.

So I am following this tutorial - Machine code game in 30 minutes.
https://chuntey.wordpress.com/2010/01/1 ... 0-minutes/

It's just the perfect level of detail for my current level of learning. And! Amazingly, the things it said to do all worked... until...

I'm using fuse emulator, version 1.5.1, on Kubuntu 18.04. After installing and running for the first time, I was getting a warning on startup saying that it couldn't find 48.rom and that it was defaulting to opense.rom? I think. That default rom worked fine though - just as the tutorial said. I loaded the 4 byte machine code program into 33000 and was able to call it through BASIC using:

Code: Select all

PRINT "Return value is "; USR 33000
However. Working through the code in the tutorial, I got to a point where I was worried things would stop working with the screen colours of the default rom - it boots up with a black screen instead of the off-white of the 48.rom. So I installed the spectrum-roms package. After that the Spectrum48K machine booted. So I amn't getting the warning at startup any more...

But. The code doesn't work now.
I have, like, the simplest 4 byte program:
(That's:

ld bc,0
    ret
I have loaded it into memory two ways:
- Using File -> Load binary data... in fuse.
- Using a BASIC READ, POKE loop.

I'm looking in the memory in fuse using Machine -> Memory Browser... and I can actually see the bytes are in there, where they're supposed to be!
But when I do:

PRINT USR 33000
all I get now is..

2 Variable not found, 0:1
Have restarted fuse, of course - still same thing.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Am I missing some simple difference in the way these two ROMs deal with USR calls?
Could I have a dodgy version of the ROM?
Maybe I should revert to the opense version of the rom again?

Really don't know. Any and all help appreciated.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Simple USR call no longer working.

Post by Einar Saukas »

i'm guessing you forgot to CLEAR 32999
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

That’s a mystery. It works here with the standard 48K ROM in Fuse. I poke those four bytes starting at 33000; the debugger shows me ld bc, 0000 : ret at $80E8; I type PRINT USR 33000 from the BASIC prompt; 0 is displayed on the upper screen.

You should do Einar’s CLEAR 32999 always anyway, but unless you have a very large BASIC program or variable declarations resident, 33000 is quite out of the way for a simple test like this from power on.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I tried doing the same just by entering the four POKE instructions one by one, and as Seven wrote, 33000 is high enough in the RAM to avoid trouble with such a small code. CLEAR 32999 can be safely omitted in this case, then.

However, my test was made under Windows 10, with the Fuse 1.5.7 Windows port, which includes the ROM files in a "roms" subdirectory. I'd suggest you, first of all, to download the most recent version of Fuse from http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net because the version you are using is way outdated. Then, if nothing changes, download the Windows port (the ZIP archive, not the installing executable) and substitute your ROM files with those present there, and see what happens.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Are you entering USR as individual letters, or as a ‘keyword’ by going to extended entry mode and pressing the L key?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ch0maru
Drutt

Post by ch0maru »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 am Are you entering USR as individual letters, or as a ‘keyword’ by going to extended entry mode and pressing the L key?
Yes!

That's what it was. The previous rom I'd been using didn't have a keyword mode, so I was just typing away as usual... :?

Thanks.

ch0m
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

ch0maru wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:51 pm
1024MAK wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 am Are you entering USR as individual letters, or as a ‘keyword’ by going to extended entry mode and pressing the L key?
Yes!

That's what it was. The previous rom I'd been using didn't have a keyword mode, so I was just typing away as usual... :?

Thanks.

ch0m
Being able to type individual characters is a feature of a number of ‘third party’ ZX Spectrum replacement BASIC ROMs, like opense. This ROM is supplied with Fuse because of its copyright status.

Have fun :D

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.