Orbital Pscribe (BASIC ... into M/C)

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Orbital Pscribe (BASIC ... into M/C)

Post by uglifruit »

A BASIC game, that I intend to M/C up!

I made a BASIC game for the competition that was mentioned on here recently, and was rather pleased with my effort 'Orbital Pscribe' (as a piece of design that I'd not seen used before... Timed typing tutor as a game, with rotating directional jumps to ... look, it's quite hard to describe).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CrKs1 ... 8cbgZO-i_p

Anyway, I don't really know how people received it in the competition (it was through a facebook group, and I don't f/b), so I thought I'd post it here, before (eventually) making it into a M/Code game (it'll be a long process).

My Assembly skills are ... okayish, but not pretty. But over the past few years I've built a masked sprite routine that I'm sure I can do the 'pointer' with, (using 24 locations, and directions for an 'arrow').
I think I can do a quicker 'draw' routine, for the 'jumps' the character makes, and check for pixel collision (and then check attributes to see if it's a nasty, or a switch). I'll use 16 bit co-ordinates, and use the high byte to be the location on the screen (thus I can have 24 different direction vectors to do the jumps, with multipliers).

I might use the ROM keyboard reading routine initially, I think (for ease), and keep interrupts enabled (I know, I know!) and use the system variables to calculate the 'time taken' and the keypresses. (If I like the results of how the game plays out, I'm thinking I can replace these afterwards).

I know I'll be reinventing the wheel with routines I'm using etc, but it'll be a fun challenge I think.

Anyway I thought I might use this as my progress blog, type thing. This'll be the most 'top down planned' thing I've approached, and it'll be interesting to see how my working practice changes as a result. Making the game in BASIC first means I definitely have an idea of the amount of variables and 'maths' I was using, and I'll have to think about how I can manage that in M/C (e.g. floating point maths and division is out for jump distances, I'll pre-divide them to the smallest fraction I need and multiply them back up).

It's quite possible I'm the only person who'll be interested in this, but there we go!

CLEAR 23855
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Orbital Pscribe (BASIC ... into M/C)

Post by Ast A. Moore »

uglifruit wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 pm It's quite possible I'm the only person who'll be interested in this, but there we go!
There are quite a few developers here and we all love sharing our work from time to time. Your BASIC to MC journey is very much welcome.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ah cool, that game's a lot of fun..! :)

Not wanting to discourage any tinkering but IMO it runs great for BASIC, pretty fast & responsive.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Thank you, I did consciously try to make the basic run as fast as possible, and make it payable in that form. My aim in rewriting it is definitely more about enjoying the process of seeing what I can do as a programming exercise, rather than the game definitely needing a speed boost per se.
CLEAR 23855