Reverse engineered game code

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
User avatar
RMartins
Manic Miner
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Reverse engineered game code

Post by RMartins » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 am

HI guys, I have known a few games that have been reverse engineered in terms of code, but I don't remember a single place that has a coherent list of these in the wild.

Is there a website with a catalogue and/or links to these dumps, or original source code ?

If not, we can start adding the known ones to this thread.
0 x

User avatar
R-Tape
Site Admin
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by R-Tape » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 am

Probably a daft question, is reverse engineered different from disassembled?
0 x

User avatar
ramsrc
Berk
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by ramsrc » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm

There are a number at the excellent http://skoolkit.ca/
0 x
A hollow voice says "Plugh"

User avatar
Einar Saukas
Manic Miner
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:05 pm

The largest collection is probably http://opensourcezx.untergrund.net
0 x

User avatar
Einar Saukas
Manic Miner
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm

ramsrc wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm
There are a number at the excellent http://skoolkit.ca/
I just noticed the SkoolKit page is missing The Great Escape disassembly.
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am
Location: Poland

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by Ralf » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm

The largest collection is probably http://opensourcezx.untergrund.net
Yes, but this is mostly Russian soft that most people here have never heard about ;)

And if we want to be pedantic, they were not reverse engineered, but rather this site stores their original source code ;)

There are also sources available for a few games on WOS, you can find them with advanced search option.
0 x

User avatar
Guesser
Dizzy
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by Guesser » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm
ramsrc wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm
There are a number at the excellent http://skoolkit.ca/
I just noticed the SkoolKit page is missing The Great Escape disassembly.
The disassemblies page only lists the ones he created himself. Others are listed on the links page, including The Great Escape: http://skoolkit.ca/?page_id=1016
0 x
My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.

User avatar
Einar Saukas
Manic Miner
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Guesser wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 pm
Einar Saukas wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm
ramsrc wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm
There are a number at the excellent http://skoolkit.ca/
I just noticed the SkoolKit page is missing The Great Escape disassembly.
The disassemblies page only lists the ones he created himself. Others are listed on the links page, including The Great Escape: http://skoolkit.ca/?page_id=1016
You are right, sorry!
0 x

User avatar
Einar Saukas
Manic Miner
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Source code of games developed using Boriel ZX Basic are listed here:

http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php ... d_Programs
0 x

User avatar
RMartins
Manic Miner
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Reverse engineered game code

Post by RMartins » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:04 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 am
Probably a daft question, is reverse engineered different from disassembled?
I would say that disassembly is the first step when reverse engineering a piece of software.

Other steps include:
- determine where variables are stored and their intended use.
- determine internal data structures
- where are the boundaries of each function, and what they do, and find a suitable name
- understand algorithms used
- where graphics are stored and their format
- where music is stored, kind of player, channels supported, etc..
- etc ...
Last edited by RMartins on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Post Reply