Splib tutorial and MS Pacman demake

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
jordi
Drutt

Splib tutorial and MS Pacman demake

Post by jordi »

Hi!
I've made this post from derekfountain recommendation at z88dk development forums.

I started learning splib during the ZXDev, and Alvin (and a lot of people) helped me A LOT.
My promise was then to create a crash course for splib trying to cover every corner a newbie could find hard to know.

And that's the development:
https://github.com/jsmolina/z88dk-tutorial-sp1

There's already a .TAP (0.0.5 version) at Releases page:
https://github.com/jsmolina/z88dk-tutor ... nampac.tap

I would like that any of my projects receive code changes from the community, so I've made all of them open source (MISIFU and this MS NAMPAC)!

The most important thing I'm willing to improve are sounds. I'm having trouble with compiling existing libraries, so I opened today this post at z88dk:
https://www.z88dk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11166
dfzx
Manic Miner

Re: Splib tutorial and MS Pacman demake

Post by dfzx »

Jordi's written a decent Pacman:

It's a complete, open source game, written in C with SP1, with a good coding tutorial on the Github page. I asked him to plug it here because there aren't enough C/SP1 examples out there, and this would be very useful to anyone interested in learning. :)
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

dfzx wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:50 pm Jordi's written a decent Pacman:
He certainly has. Plays really well, if a little too hard. It's already way better than most Speccy Pacman clones, and it's not even finished yet.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Nice maze layout too. It's always a tough one, adapting Pac-Man's vertical maze(s) to a horizontal format, if you want to leave two-character wide passageways.

Pac-Man gives a nice difference between the blocky top of the maze and the more varied pathways at the bottom. On a wide screen you still want left/right symmetry just because it looks good, but there's less scope for vertical variety in design. It makes it harder to keep the 'house' in the centre too - you really either have to put it above or below the centre.
jordi
Drutt

Post by jordi »

Joefish wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:33 pm Nice maze layout too. It's always a tough one, adapting Pac-Man's vertical maze(s) to a horizontal format.
Pac-Man gives a nice difference between the blocky top of the maze and the more varied pathways at the bottom. On a wide screen you still want left/right symmetry just because it looks good, but there's less scope for vertical variety in design.
Jarlaxe was the great maze and sprites designer. I just added the glue adding the code :lol: .
jordi
Drutt

Post by jordi »

If someone knows an AY FX engine that compiles with newer z88dk versions, please let me know!

I'm willing to finish this game :lol:
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

jordi wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am If someone knows an AY FX engine that compiles with newer z88dk versions, please let me know!
I have no clue about AY, but if you find an answer take some notes and I'll write it up in another getting started article.

You should probably ask in the z88dk forum.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
jordi
Drutt

Post by jordi »

dfzx wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:46 am
jordi wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am If someone knows an AY FX engine that compiles with newer z88dk versions, please let me know!
I have no clue about AY, but if you find an answer take some notes and I'll write it up in another getting started article.

You should probably ask in the z88dk forum.
yep, it was later supported. I contributed a bit with the help of "Sergio thEPoPE"
https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/pull/1430