New ZX Spectrum +3 Text Adventure w/ Graphics Authoring Tool

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
ainslec
Drutt

New ZX Spectrum +3 Text Adventure w/ Graphics Authoring Tool

Post by ainslec »

It is now simple to export text adventure games WITH GRAPHICS to ZX Spectrum +3 and ZX Spectrum Next from Adventuron.

Previously this required a separate tool, did not support graphics, and was rather complex.

The process of making a game with graphics is fully documented.

TUTORIAL A - "THE CAVE OF MAGIC" - demonstrates, step by step, how to build an illustrated text adventure game for Browsers, Mobile Phones, ZX Spectrum +3, and ZX Spectrum Next, in about an hour.

https://adventuron.io/documentation/#_t ... e_of_magic

(url for Adventuron's editor is in the tutorial link)

Information about the exporter in particular is located here:

https://adventuron.io/documentation/#8bitexport

Adventuron features an easy to use editor, with code completion. As an added bonus, you can also build a version of your game for desktop / mobile at the same time.

It is strongly advised to follow the tutorial, but if you just want to wing it, then make sure you switch on "8 Bit Compatibility" mode before building your game. You can't switch it on after the fact. You have to design for the exporter to start with (as Adventuron contains many unmapped features).

For export to Spectrum +3, you should ensure you make your graphics to be ZX Spectrum compliant PNG files (confirm with https://www.retronator.com/png-to-scr ), and make your graphics 256 x 80 pixels.

To export to ZX Spectrum Next, make your graphics 255 colours or less, and 256 x 80 pixels.

Graphics may also be supplied in 128 x 40, or 64 x 20 resolutions (will be scaled up automatically).

This converter would not be possible without the DAAD project (written by Tim Gilberts, now public domain), the DAAD Reborn Compiler (by Uto), and the wonderful Maluva plugin (by Uto) for ZX Spectrum Next. Many thanks too to Stefan Vogt for his work on recovering and documenting DAAD for English languages users.

(Screenshots from the ZX Spectrum Next exported version, but works identically with +3 version, except for graphic differences).

Chris.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: New ZX Spectrum +3 Text Adventure w/ Graphics Authoring Tool

Post by akeley »

This whole Adventuron thingy really looks fabulous, a coding exercise that even a dumdum like myself can grasp. I just wish I had more time to play with it and write something (have too many other projects), or that it was available back in the day, when I had all the time (but was afraid of real coding).
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

It's a very interesting project.

I had a look on the tool itself.
Well, I expected something more GUI oriented. Where you can "click out" 90% of the game.
But actually it looks like a full programming language which requires a lot of typing. Could be a bit steep for some people.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Ralf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm Well, I expected something more GUI oriented. Where you can "click out" 90% of the game.
But actually it looks like a full programming language which requires a lot of typing. Could be a bit steep for some people.
It's very easy, Ralf. I've used it for lots of games. My 9-year old is currently writing a game using it. There have been lots of game jams using it where people have gone from zero knowledge to producing a really impressive finished project in just a couple of weeks.

See Mushroom Hunt for an example... https://polyducks.itch.io/mushroom-hunt

You don't need to type a lot... It has a lot of shortcuts and context-sensitive autocompletes built-in. Use control+space.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.