Suggestions on formatting of code

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Suggestions on formatting of code

Post by Joefish »

Morkin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:59 am
Joefish wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 amAlso define stuff like WAIT_VBL as EI followed by HALT.
...Isn't that more keystrokes?
Yes, by one, but it's also an easy way to remember to do an EI before a HALT where your design needs it so you don't deliberately hang your own code.
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 am I also include a file of macros that defines things like SCREEN EQU 16384, and also JPEQ, JPGE and JPLT to use instead of jp nz, jp nc or jp c following a 'compare' as I can never remember which way round to use the last two.
That's a bit like the perpetually cryptic (to me at least!) RRCA and RRA etc. I can never can remember which one does what with the carry and always have to look it up. Maybe some macros to clearly differentiate these would be helpful to? :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Cosmium wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:30 am That's a bit like the perpetually cryptic (to me at least!) RRCA and RRA etc. I can never can remember which one does what with the carry and always have to look it up.
I could never remember it either, that's one of the reasons I did this:

https://www.ime.usp.br/~einar/z80table/index.html

Click on "MISC" at the bottom of that page.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

as we started talking about remembering commands... i'm often looking into Zymosis code to remember details on some instructions. there cannot be a better reference than a working Z80 emulator! ;-)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Good point. I might add RR8 and RR9 to my macros file to remember how many bits are used, as I think RR and RRC are defined the wrong way round.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

. . . to say nothing of the logical and arithmetic shifts. ;)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

A round of appreciation for Einar's z80table! Opening that up is pretty much always my first action when doing any serious Z80 coding.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I use a copy an offline copy of this. I made a few corrections to it.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Nice to see everyone's approach.

I'm putting labels on a separate line to be more flexible with using descriptive names.

Code: Select all

call clearPlayArea

announceLvl2:
	xor a
	ld (flagSkipSegment),a
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

XoRRoX wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:46 pm Nice to see everyone's approach.

I'm putting labels on a separate line to be more flexible with using descriptive names.

call clearPlayArea

announceLvl2:
	xor a
	ld (flagSkipSegment),a
andydansby wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 pm My preference has been for camelCase, just easier on my eyes.
...So just out of interest (for someone who doesn't do a lot of 'modern' development), what is it about camel case that you like/prefer?

Or is it a habit thing that's been learned (e.g. Javascript)?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Joefish wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:59 pm Good point. I might add RR8 and RR9 to my macros file to remember how many bits are used, as I think RR and RRC are defined the wrong way round.
RRC means "Rotate Right Circular".

A bad name choice indeed.
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Morkin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:28 pm
XoRRoX wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:46 pm Nice to see everyone's approach.

call clearPlayArea

announceLvl2:
	xor a
	ld (flagSkipSegment),a
andydansby wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 pm My preference has been for camelCase, just easier on my eyes.
...So just out of interest (for someone who doesn't do a lot of 'modern' development), what is it about camel case that you like/prefer?

For me it comes to when I write multi-word long variable names. If you had a choice between myvariablename or my_variable_name vs myVariableName, I can read the camel case much easier. It became more of a habit after studying other people’s C code and influenced me.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Morkin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:28 pm ...So just out of interest (for someone who doesn't do a lot of 'modern' development), what is it about camel case that you like/prefer?

Same reason as Andy wrote. It visually breaks up multi-word expressions where one cannot use spaces without having to type underscores, which also makes them longer; waitForAnyKey, showBossDefeated.

I started doing that from the very beginning in my coding adventures way back in Turbo Pascal.

To let them start with a lowercase character is just something I saw recently in someone else's code and for some reason thought looked cool :mrgreen: :)
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm I know it doesn't make a jot of difference to the assembler, but it's interesting how some of you are using uppercase, and others lowercase.... Just be consistent I suppose is the answer.
CONSTANTS
IFDEF
MACRO
labels
code
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 pm So no-one indenting for loops, conditional code etc ???
I do empty line after djnz, jr or jp

One call (or even several call's) is surrounded by empty line before and after.
Last edited by Bedazzle on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:29 pm I use a copy an offline copy of this. I made a few corrections to it.
What kind of corrections?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Bedazzle wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:29 pm I use a copy an offline copy of this. I made a few corrections to it.
What kind of corrections?
It’s been a while; I don’t remember the details exactly, but some instruction descriptions were incorrect (or maybe it was the case of incorrectly indicated states of the flags). No showstoppers, though.