How to get graphics cursor in 128 Basic?

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

How to get graphics cursor in 128 Basic?

Post by llewelyn »

I know its the 9 key plus another but which other? Theres no correlation between the FUSE help keyboard and this regular PC keyboard. I tried the usual, CTRL, SHIFT, TAB plus 9 but no dice. So whats the secret?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: How to get graphics cursor in 128 Basic?

Post by Ast A. Moore »

It’s the same as in 48K BASIC—CAPS SHIFT–9. In Fuse, the Spectrum’s CAPS SHIFT key is mapped to the Shift key on your keyboard.

P.S. The cursor will not change to indicate you’re in graphics mode; keep that in mind.
Last edited by Ast A. Moore on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

Well I thought so too but it doesnt work. I'm using Fuse BTW and I tried just about every key combo I could think of nut no go.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Not sure about Fuse but in Spin shift and 9 puts it in graphics mode.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

Oh! Thanks Ast.A.Moore that was a brilliant idea to show me what to do. It works.

I gotta explain what happened. I made a UDG maker basically just 8 lines of POKES filled with all zeroes so I could just call it up and edit it to make whatever shape I wanted. When it came to testing it and I tried to get Graphics mode the cursor never changed to a G (that was a really stupid move on Sinclairs part)

Then after you showed me what was wrong and I tried to print the result to see if it worked, I thought I was getting a wrong mode because my test UDG looks like an equals sign and I didn't realize it and kept wondering why this damn equals keeps showing up!

Because its so small you dont notice what seems obvious as a large 8 line display of zeroes and ones. I'd not given any thought to my test UDG just filled in a couple of lines and thought nothing of it expecting to notice anything unusual at once.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Glad I was able to help, Mike!

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I'd almost forgotten about those blocky graphics on the number keys in ZX Spectrum BASIC.

I'm sure 'back in the day' I could list every SHIFTed keyboard combination for any command in 48k BASIC. Now I can just about remember most of the 'first-press' ones (PRINT, LOAD etc.), and end up sheepishly opening the keyboard helper in the emulator for the rest...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com