Dunny is my hero!

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Re: Dunny is my hero!

Post by llewelyn »

Joefish as it turns out I did dload the Charade manual v.23 to see what I needed to know first. Today I got the v23 bundle.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Ask if you need any help with something. The character-code commands can be tricky to remember but the basics are to print your scenery on the background screen using LPRINT "&"+CHR$(row)+CHR$(column), then for each frame of the game you copy that background to the foreground temporary screen with "(", draw your sprites on top of that with @+row+column, then dump everything to the display with ")".
Also really useful is the "," command for drawing multi-line sprites.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

That's a nifty bit of coding Joe. I just unpacked Charade and ran the demo 'Striker' looks good. I'll have to wait for a good day when its not bloody raining (plays hell with my arthritic bod) and I'm not blocked in with analgesics. I'll read the manual again and try the examples first chance I get.

Although I hate to admit it and much though I admire what people have managed on the Speccy, its a hell of a lot easier, faster and less frustrating to be able to operate via the Windows environment so I'm very happy to learn that Charade can be run from BASin.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Take a look at the 'PROGRAMS AUTHORED (OR EXECUTED) WITH THIS TITLE' section - +3code has written some really impressive stuff with it.
(And I couldn't have done my machine code stuff without the PC and emulators either!)
+3code

Post by +3code »

Years ago I started a small CharAde tutorial. Sadly I "paused" it and...

So really are only a few notes, but perhaps help you:

Spanish:
https://sites.google.com/site/plus3code ... muy-torpes

Googlenglish:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... VYC6KQCr6l