Action! A poor mans C for 8-bit computers.

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Action! A poor mans C for 8-bit computers.

Post by Nomad »

So I have been playing around with the Atari recently, and I found this high level language that is only twice as slow as assembly :lol: It was known as a 'poor man's c' well you can see why from the syntax but for my money it feels more like ALGOL (Look at the DO OD). Still I found it was pretty cool. As the source code has been released as GNU in 2015 I was wondering if anyone had considered doing a port to the spectrum? There is a windows cross compiler. But looking at it it would seem to me to be a great language for the spectrum. (especially as a 16k cartridge for something like Interface II)

It was considered to be even faster than Forth, that was what got my interest initially but I still prefer Forth.. Plus its slightly unfair because a highly optimised Forth could probably match Action on the Atari it was just a case of them using implementations that were designed for portability and not specificity but I digress...

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Action! A poor mans C for 8-bit computers.

Post by Ralf »

I have heard about Action. People in Poland are still currently using it for writing games for 8-bit Atari.

And these games are quite fast, l You should remember that Atari has sprites which makes probably eveything easier but you still can have some nice effects with it.

Have a look at this. It's written in Action. How do I know it? Because I know the author personally ;)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/RNOy8PVPj3c[/youtube]
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

That is all kinds of awesome.

There is a lot of potential with the ATARI for games, especially with the memory expansion. When people say 'all you need is 8-bits' you can really see the truth in that with stuff like your friends game. 8-)

It's a bit long but a good video. This is where I got the info on the corvus drive :lol: I saw how fast it was and thought "I have to get me some of that" I just had to know. I switched off all of the emulator acceleration, everything was being emulated at 1:1 speed. And it was that fast. 8-)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GCOsrefp4rA[/youtube]
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

There is actually a lot of undicovered potential in 8 bit Atari.

Would you believe that today in 2018 people are still discover new graphic modes for this machine? :o

As far as I know In Atari you can "program" your graphic mode. You place some data in special part of memory and it determines behaviour of video chip. And you can do a lot of switching these modes while screen refreshing so if you are clever you can create things never seen before.

And as you said it became popular recently to create hardware extensions of Atari memory. I don't know the details but it seems they enable not only more data but also faster games, more action on screen etc.

It's a really vivid scene, although probably not so much in UK. If you are interesteed generally in retro systems, not only in Spectrum then you cannot miss it ;)
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Ah screen lists, yes you have really fine control on the display. They really designed the 400 and the 800 well. Its like they knew people would want to have as much control of the hardware as possible. I can't think of another system like that.

The ANTIC I think still has a lot of features that are just being discovered because of the extra memory available for the higher definition screens now. Just being able to place your screen data anywhere you want in memory, tell ANTIC how you want it to build the screen line by line, down to the individual clock. That is just nuts. People apparently have spent years just on ANTIC looking at how to get new displays.

Your right about the UK Atari scene back in the day there were atari user groups but it was an unusual machine to have kind of on the same level as finding someone had a Dragon 32 or an oric. They were machines that someone else usually bought you. It was hard to find software for these computers unless you lived in a big city. I remember growing up in rural England there was no chance of finding Atari 8 bit stuff. You had to go to a major city. (For a Polish equivalent, think of growing up in the villages outside of Lodz. :lol: )

In my group of friends, there was one kid that had an apple ii (his dad really), another had a bbc micro (because his parents were teachers), the rest had either spectrum or commodore 64. I didn't know anyone that had a dragon or oric/atari 8 bit. these were machines you read about in the magazines like input. :lol:

But I remember even in a rural village in England you could walk into any newsagent and there would be microcomputer magazines, usually with cover tapes. Some newsagents even sold tapes with commercial software. :lol: In the big cities and town you had places like WHsmiths that had whole sections - this is where you could buy your acorn/bbc/atari software. But it was tiny compared to the spectrum/commodore corners.

For my parents I think that was why they went for the 3+ in the end was because they knew it was compatible with the earlier software we had for the 48k. You could at that time get software cheap at carboot / markets. But towards the end of the 80s it was great all these people were getting rid of their 8 bit computers. That is how i got my hands on a BBC micro :lol:

But to my shame my first machine was a vic 20. I think that sour my thinking towards commodore.
After that we had an acorn electron (a crippled bbc micro) then my folks broke down and got a spectrum 48k) :lol:

We had an atari 2600. They were really popular in the UK back in the day. That was more my mothers hobby she was addicted to centipede and pacman.