The hobbit: developing the parser

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Re: The hobbit: developing the parser

Post by hikoki »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 pm Endless Story
Not very sophisticated but I quite like this, the idea could be developed a lot.

My English translation needs a bit of work though...

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Well that escalated quickly... :shock:
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

The diagram this demo is based on can be found on this old book which MarcosC mentions on his blog: https://archive.org/details/superintelligent00berr
I wonder how DaveR would develop this idea. Perhaps some way for the user to feed the A.I. from outside with new words and branches?
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Beep!Beep!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nice one!

At first I misunderstood Marco's program, I didn't realise it was just acting out the flowchart.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Now imagine that you can answer any thing to the machine so you can alter its inner branches made up of chewing gum..the mad thing would try to "make sense" and reorder its "common" sense so that you cannot end the story. The Hobbit may well become a short endless thing unless you give Hal arguments to put an end to its misery. Hope makes sense. Tweet!Tweet!
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

The book talks also about Parry, a paranoid chatbot. There is a Sinclair Basic implementation of Eliza but I cannot find any Parry bot online.. though it was originally explained on this book: https://archive.org/details/artificialparano00colb
One idea could be adapting Parry to Smaug :geek:
programandala.net
Drutt

Post by programandala.net »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:15 am
hikoki wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 pm Endless Story
Not very sophisticated but I quite like this, the idea could be developed a lot.

My English translation needs a bit of work though...

I'm the author of that simple program, which I wrote so many years ago, when I was learning BASIC. As someone has pointed out, it is based on a flowchart I found in the Spanish version of Adrian Berry's The super-intelligent machine. I really enjoyed that book.

I'm glad to see someone found this old program worth mentioning and even translated it! I've updated the program web page with a link to this thread.
Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm glad to see someone found this old program worth mentioning and even translated it!
I just wish my translation was more representative of the original text! I do like the idea of these adventure gamebook style ideas, and there must still be a new angle somewhere that can be done on the Speccy.