Assembly Language Help

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Assembly Language Help

Post by Ast A. Moore »

AndyC wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm It’s extremely easy to see at a glance whether an address is in ROM or RAM—any Spectrum developer knows that RAM starts at address $4000 (16384), so anything below that is a ROM call. Comments will help with the rest. The same applies to system variables.
Well, except when it isn't. Like on the +2A/+3.
Yeah . . . no. When someone’s at a level of proficiency he needs to use the special addressing mode on a +2A/+3, the last thing he’ll be looking for is a piece of advice on whether to use numeric addresses or name labels. ;) We’re talking beginner stuff here.
AndyC wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm In any case, for the most part, this whole argument becomes moot at some point, as people tend to use ROM calls more and more sparingly once their programming skills have improved and they have come up with their own, more efficient routines.
Ironically, that's the biggest reason to use labels over comments. Because you're going to use labels when you use your own code (so gain consistency) and will also find it easier to swap out a ROM routine for a custom version when it's only a matter of removing the ROM label from your include rather than searching through the source looking for (hopefully) commented calls.
Theoretically, maybe. In practice, though, if you’re replacing ROM routines with your own, you’re likely to use different parameters, so your whole setup prior to the call will need rewriting.

Even with ROM calls, you don’t always jump to the beginning of a routine; oftentimes, it’s more efficient to jump somewhere in the middle, and the point of entry might change depending on context. It’s easier and more straighforward to use a numeric address and a comment.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:25 pmI don’t think I’ve ever used octals, though. Hmm.
Octals are great for attributes!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:07 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:25 pmI don’t think I’ve ever used octals, though. Hmm.
Octals are great for attributes!
True. I just see the entire attribute byte as binary for some reason. Probably out of habit. But, yeah, ignoring Bits 6 and 7, it lends itself to octal numbers very well.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

I like to write attributes as binary with spaces, like %01 001 010.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Maybe I can get my title in WH Smiths for Christmas :-)
Cool..! Look forward to seeing the final game - looks like it could be a fun arcadey one..
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Yup, glad that you've taken the plunge into the deep depths of machine code and swimming to the surface. You'll have fun, you'll have late nights of decoding something, you'll have that evening of hitting a wall/shouting at the screen because of a stupid coding mistake (missing out a Z from a JP Z,nn or something similar), but you'll have the satisfaction of everything coming together and working how you want it to be, the enjoyment of re-writing the code to be faster and smaller, finding new ways to get a routine working and laughing at your own old code from a few weeks earlier that you thought was oh-so great but now you would quite happily bury it under the patio with next doors cat.

Enjoy!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Another question if I may. If I use Call label-name, then from that have another call to a different label-name, and Ret at the end of each label does the Z80 keep track and return to after the last call instruction issued?

So I suppose I'm asking is it OK to have a call to a subroutine within another subroutine?

Thanks
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:52 pm Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Another question if I may. If I use Call label-name, then from that have another call to a different label-name, and Ret at the end of each label does the Z80 keep track and return to after the last call instruction issued?

So I suppose I'm asking is it OK to have a call to a subroutine within another subroutine?

Thanks
That's most definitely okay, and you will struggle to make complex programs otherwise.

When you CALL a subroutine the 16 bit address to RETurn to is automatically PUSHed on the stack so the stack builds downwards by two bytes every time. CALL another one and it builds down again. You can just keep doing this as long as the stack doesn't get too big and write over your program.

So this is perfectly fine:

Code: Select all

sub1:	call sub2	;address r1 pushed onto the stack
r1:	ret
	;
sub2:	call sub3	;address r2 pushed onto the stack
r2:	ret
	;
sub3:	call sub4	;address r3 pushed onto the stack
r3:	ret
	;
sub4:	call sub5	;address r4 pushed onto the stack
r4:	ret
	;
sub5	do stuff*
	ret

*when we are here the stack looks like this:

SP>	r4
	r3
	r2
	r1

So when we RET from sub5, we POP r4 and the stack reduces by two, we return to r4, the next RET to r3 and so on.
It's the same as PUSH and POP, you need to keep an eye on what your last CALL was so you know where you return to, it has to balance (unless you're doing trickery which I don't recommend yet).

This can cause a LOT of problems early on, but keeping the stack balanced becomes second nature sooner or later. The books do a decent job of explaining, but in my case I only fully 'got' it after trial and error.