problem with type in magazine

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
MrPixel
Microbot

problem with type in magazine

Post by MrPixel »

this is the magazine in question: https://archive.org/stream/crash-magazi ... 1/mode/2up

Page 52

i (painstakingly) typed in everything on the page (the one that says be a Bas**rd) and got an error in 15. is this some sort of joke? :evil:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: problem with type in magazine

Post by R-Tape »

What exactly was the error in 15? e.g. Out of DATA?

If you want to play How to be a complete Bas**rd you can get pokes you can enter via your emulator and this type in already done (you can paste it into BASIN) from The Tipshop.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

MrPixel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 pm this is the magazine in question: https://archive.org/stream/crash-magazi ... 1/mode/2up

Page 52

i (painstakingly) typed in everything on the page (the one that says be a Bas**rd) and got an error in 15. is this some sort of joke? :evil:
I would be pretty astonished if a typed in magazine listing didn't have an error!
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

R-Tape wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:04 pm What exactly was the error in 15? e.g. Out of DATA?

If you want to play How to be a complete Bas**rd you can get pokes you can enter via your emulator and this type in already done (you can paste it into BASIN) from The Tipshop.
B interger out of range 15:2
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

MrPixel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 pm this is the magazine in question: https://archive.org/stream/crash-magazi ... 1/mode/2up

Page 52

Why yes, it is some sort of joke that was set up 31 years ago just for this precise moment.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Best to try the one already typed out for you at The Tipshop.
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

will do
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MrPixel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 pm B interger out of range 15:2
You likely made a typo in one of the DATA statements. Check to see if any of the numbers is greater than 255.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

I suspect it's a fundamental misunderstanding.
The type-in is a hack for the game, not the game itself.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

llewelyn wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Page 52

I would be pretty astonished if a typed in magazine listing didn't have an error!
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there
I am pretty open to conspiracy theories/brain scratches but I am going to say this was a patch. :lol:

I think we forget just how much time their was to focus on one task/hobby. The lack of interruptions. Peoples tolerance for stuff like typein magazines is very different to today I think. I used to think nothing of spending hours debugging typeins back in the day. :lol:

You get to experience the agony of self doubt that came with errors and type ins.. A lot of times the listings were just a starting point for what today would be called hacks. You would mess with the UDGs and then convince your mates/parents you had written a new program :lol:

'Did I make a mistake? Was it an error in the magazine listing?' If you still couldn't figure out what was wrong you would wait till the next issue came around and hoped someone had either written in with a correction or the author had issued a statement.

The thing was in most case it was always going to be on you, even if there were bugs in the listing the user would often add in his own during the process lol. Especially towards the end - you would have pages of hex to enter in. I used to look at these in wonder and think 'who on earth is typing this in without bugs?' :lol:
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

The early type-ins were usually atrocious "scans" (primitive photocopies? actual photographs?) of user printouts where the ribbon had dried out, or there was a roller slippage going right across a line. Even if you typed it in accurately, half of it was often undecipherable!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

With the early magazines, sure - A lot of times its just a guy with a camera taking photos of a screen. :lol: I think it took a few years for these magazines to hook up with printers that could handle the job.

The goldmine is the letters section. The amount of salt/bitterness is fabulous. Programmers tearing strips off each other, customers complaining about companies and getting published because the company in question didn't buy advertising that month in the magazine :lol:.